• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another landslip - Knottingley (Pontefract East area)

skyhigh

Established Member
Red herring? I think I can see slipped land and trees in post#4.
The latest update I have seen suggests that the cause is currently unknown and it's also not yet known where the ballast is going. From that, I think it sounds like a simple 'land has slipped due to trees and is now at the bottom of the bank' is not what has happened.
Is this having to be done under some special arrangements (given that trains can’t ordinarily despatch against a position light)?
It's allowed under a local instruction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

It was reported Saturday, bags of ballast were put down to sure up the track and loose ballast filled in round the sleepers and tamped down. By the following day they had disappeared with another chunk of the banking but there will be a lot of old mine workings in the area. Currently trains can't run from Pontefract towards Glasshoughton as the crossover before Prince Of Wales Crossing and Signal Box is out of use because of the resignalling and only the crossover towards Wakefield is available but shunting is not available to replatform at Monkhill

1D53

Established Member
It was reported Saturday, bags of ballast were put down to sure up the track and loose ballast filled in round the sleepers and tamped down. By the following day they had disappeared with another chunk of the banking but there will be a lot of old mine workings in the area. Currently trains can't run from Pontefract towards Glasshoughton as the crossover before Prince Of Wales Crossing and Signal Box is out of use because of the resignalling and only the crossover towards Wakefield is available but shunting is not available to replatform at Monkhill
You have a very reliable source.

Currently planned to be shut all next week too as a minimum.

johntea

Established Member
Disruption until at least Friday now

Northern now seem to be terminating the via Castleford services at Castleford rather than Pontefract Monkhill and managing to run the via Wakefield services from Leeds terminating at Monkhill rather than outright cancelling them as seemed to be the case last week

JRT

Disruption until at least Friday now

Northern now seem to be terminating the via Castleford services at Castleford rather than Pontefract Monkhill and managing to run the via Wakefield services from Leeds terminating at Monkhill rather than outright cancelling them as seemed to be the case last week
That does seem to be more logical, as most stations now have a train calling.

ZombieGrum

Still ongoing with disruption even next monday. Anybody have any updates at all? Nearly 3 weeks now as they seem to be cancelled all next week too. Im sure its very complicated and sorry as a novice but why has it taken 3 weeks and still not resolved? Someone with more knowledge than I can surely enlighten me :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Still ongoing with disruption even next monday. Anybody have any updates at all? Nearly 3 weeks now. Im sure its very complicated and sorry as a novice but why has it taken 3 weeks and still not resolved? Someone with more knowledge than I can surely enlighten me :)
Landslip repairs are so variable, there’s no standard answer. If the damage to a high embankment is on a large scale it might take time to gain proper access and fully understand the scale of the problem, and many weeks to properly repair it. Initial estimates are often highly optimistic. The complete repair work sometimes extends for months even after the line reopens.

Adam0984

Basically they keep putting ballast down and it disappears, so they have to now find out where its going and if its a bigger problem than just the affected section

1D53

Established Member
Still ongoing with disruption even next monday. Anybody have any updates at all? Nearly 3 weeks now as they seem to be cancelled all next week too. Im sure its very complicated and sorry as a novice but why has it taken 3 weeks and still not resolved? Someone with more knowledge than I can surely enlighten me :)
Disruption till 5th April 'at least', perhaps a couple of weeks more.

mm333

This is going to cause GC issues on Easter Saturday and Sunday. They're planning on running 3 services each way both days from Kings Cross to Streethouse via Monkhill.

Adam0984

This is going to cause GC issues on Easter Saturday and Sunday. They're planning on running 3 services each way both days from Kings Cross to Streethouse via Monkhill.
They run most services that way on everyday except Sunday anyway on the normal timetable

1D53

Established Member
The GC units will be stuck on Crofton depot from Friday night as the only way out is towards Featherstone. There remains no access from Pontefract towards Glasshoughton so they can't get out that way.

Adam0984

Theyre leaving a bit late to reveal their alternate plans whether its ticket acceptance on LNER and no GC west riding trains or get the units out of the block and run to York or just Doncaster

mm333

GC are now running their West Yorkshire services to York (with a Doncaster call) this weekend, and then buses are going Doncaster-Pointefract Monkhill-Streethouse-Wakefield Kirkgate.

TUC

Established Member
GC are now running their West Yorkshire services to York (with a Doncaster call) this weekend, and then buses are going Doncaster-Pointefract Monkhill-Streethouse-Wakefield Kirkgate.
And then what for onward travel from Wakefield?

VideozVideoz

Another headache for Northern (and to a lesser extent Grand Central) today in that there has been a landslip in the Pontefract East area meaning no rail service at all for Knottingley, the inspections and works seem to have been extended until 'at least the end of Tuesday 12 March' now too

A journey of around 5 minutes between Pontefract Monkhill and Knottingley must be close to some sort of record for shortest rail replacement bus journey! (although luckily Ross Travel are only down the road)
RR bus Lichfield trent valley to lichfield city currently running at 4mins…

Veteran Member
A journey of around 5 minutes between Pontefract Monkhill and Knottingley must be close to some sort of record for shortest rail replacement bus journey! (although luckily Ross Travel are only down the road)
Now timetabled at 9min, sorry!

Is this why there are no Biomass running from Immingham to Drax? Not sure why this would affect them though as they avoid Pontefract? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Is this why there are no Biomass running from Immingham to Drax? Not sure why this would affect them though as they avoid Pontefract? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick.
Doesn't affect the Immingham to Drax trains whatsoever.

Liverpool to Drax services which would normally run past the site of the landslip
are currently being diverted via Castlford and Milford Junction, where they reverse.

MARK

johntea

Established Member
Northern seem to have found some 158s to run the Castleford - Leeds 'shuttle' which is a rather large improvement over the usual 150s!

Can / has a 158 ever been used for a run to Goole? (via Knottingley)

Adam0984

Excuse the pun but the bulk comes from Liverpool with a small amount from other places

Northern seem to have found some 158s to run the Castleford - Leeds 'shuttle' which is a rather large improvement over the usual 150s!

Can / has a 158 ever been used for a run to Goole? (via Knottingley)
The 3 formations on the Knottingley circuit are normally a 158, a 150 and a pair of 150s. The 150s are on the via Wakefield's with a 2 hour round trip (the pair on the even hour out of Leeds with the single on the odd hour) which leaves the 158 for the Cas shuttles which only needs 1 unit shuttling all day and its the 158 because that's what the 158 started with on a normal day the 0548 Knottingley. The Goole has being a 158 adhoc once a blue moon but were once not cleared beyond Knottingley England Lane but that changed about 10 years ago when one accidentally went and didn't burst into flames

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
The Goole has being a 158 adhoc once a blue moon but were once not cleared beyond Knottingley England Lane but that changed about 10 years ago when one accidentally went and didn't burst into flames
Well, that's certainly one methodology for route clearance!

JaseC

Thought I'd share some photos and video or the progress being made to stabilise the area. From what I can see, they seem to have made some good progress.

▶️ Watch this video