• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ANPR Car Parking - wrong registration entered?

BanburyBlue

I went to buy my car parking ticket at the railway station this morning. It's a SIP car park, and not the official railway car park. It's one of those car parks where you have to enter your car registration. I'm not sure if it's normal, but the machine allows you to enter 8 digits. So being in a rush, and not checking properly, I inadvertently added an extra digit.

So for example, if my car registration was AB12 CDE, I actually entered AB12 CDEF. Would this cause an issue? Would the cameras recognise AB12 CDEF as my registration?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suspect you will indeed get a ticket.

If it's one where you can pay on the machine/on an app before midnight I'd pay again entering it correctly to be sure.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a SIP car park, and not the official railway car park.
Presuming that it's this organisation: https://www.sipcarparks.com/

Then they are a member of the British Parking Association then the Code of Practice suggests that for a "minor keying error" any PCN issued should be cancelled upon appeal. A "minor keying error" is defined as:

17.4 [...]

A) Minor Keying Errors Examples of a minor keying error could include:

• 0 instead of o
• I instead of L
• 1 instead of I
• Up to one letter wrong, removed, or swapped
• Up to one number wrong, removed, or swapped
• Numbers and/or letters in the wrong order (but where the correct registration is still recognisable)

These are minor errors where up to one character has been entered incorrectly, or where the registration has been entered in the wrong order. If a typing error such as this leads to a PCN being issued and the motorist appeals, the PCN must be cancelled at the first stage of appeal.
Whilst you're instance of adding an additional digit is covered it's clearly not meant to be an exhaustive list and your number plate is clearly still legible. Therefore if issued a PCN it should be easy to challenge on appeal.

That being said reading their FAQs they look like a proper cowboy outfit (This gem for instance: "The discounts that are applied are withdrawn following an unsuccessful appeal.") so path of least resistance is probably wisest in this case sadly.

thejuggler

If its ANPR it will probably become a 'robo claim' by the 'system'.

There will be a mismatch on the database, the system will identify this, the system will apply for keeper details from your actual reg, the system will send you an invoice, the system will ignore your appeal.

Proper car park management would read your plate on arrival and in the database, you start typing your reg on the ticket machine after 2-3 digits your reg is identifed and is brought up on the screen, you then tap the reg and the ticket is printed. The problem with that is it refuces errors and they can't charge you Stupid amounts for having fat fingers!

If you do get an invoice moneysavingexpert forum is the place to start.

PeterC

Established Member
If its ANPR it will probably become a 'robo claim' by the 'system'.

There will be a mismatch on the database, the system will identify this, the system will apply for keeper details from your actual reg, the system will send you an invoice, the system will ignore your appeal.

Proper car park management would read your plate on arrival and in the database, you start typing your reg on the ticket machine after 2-3 digits your reg is identifed and is brought up on the screen, you then tap the reg and the ticket is printed. The problem with that is it refuces errors and they can't charge you Stupid amounts for having fat fingers!

If you do get an invoice moneysavingexpert forum is the place to start.
The Oxford Park &ride car parks did that when they first installed ANPR bur now the more "up to date" machines require a full reg and don't check in real time.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Conspiracies aside, the main reason for not searching which cars have arrived is that ANPR isn't perfect and so people whose car was not seen arriving may decide not to pay, or they may use it to experiment on how they can disguise their plate (e.g. with muck) to avoid payment. Thus it's better not to do this.

MotCO

Established Member
How will 'the system' identify the owner if the reg is mistyped? The mistyped number will not be on the DVLA dstabase, if 8 digits were entered.

wilbers

How will 'the system' identify the owner if the reg is mistyped? The mistyped number will not be on the DVLA dstabase, if 8 digits were entered.

ANPR cameras will generate lists of number plates of cars entering and leaving the car park. Any that don't have a corresponding ticket will be sent something.

MotCO

Established Member
ANPR cameras will generate lists of number plates of cars entering and leaving the car park. Any that don't have a corresponding ticket will be sent something.
Doh! Of course!