• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ansaldo 'steam' locomotive query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson102

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a query.

I've recently acquired an image of a Locomotive built by Ansaldo, which appears to be either a 4-6-2 or 2-6-4 locomotive of some kind. It appears to have cylinders, coupling rods, spoked wheels, a bunker etc... But it also appears to have some rather confusing features such as a radiator, a very diesel-looking bonnet, and some sort of cylinder mounted on top.

I've never seen anything that looked remotely like this - I've attempted some research on Ansaldo locomotives, and can mainly only come up with diesel and electric locomotives.

I can attempt to post a scan of the image, if this would help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
I once read an article somewhere that Greece obtained post-war Ansaldo steam locos. It was part of the FYRA discussion where someone mentioned that those steam locos were also notoriously unreliable.

Robinson102

Hi all,

There should hopefully be an image of this strange Ansaldo locomotive attached to this post.

Any information/help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Ansaldo locomotive.jpg
    Ansaldo locomotive.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 65

Zamracene749

Looking at it, the diesel tanks, heat exchanger and lack of steam anywhere suggested diesel compressed air drive- with a bit of help from google translate it turns out that was indeed the case.

From what I can make out, it was one of a series of experimental locos trialing different types of diesel transmissions. The brochure is here, http://www.trenidicarta.it/pdf/3/3869.pdf but it's in Italian (which I don't speak) so anybody that can give a basic translation.......

Apparently a similar locomotive was trialled in Germany too

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Have a look on the 'Unusual Locomotives' part of

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/diesair/diesair.htm

Looks like Marklin even made a model of a German version.

Last edited:

Robinson102

Hmm... Now that's interesting. It's a very strange looking locomotive, that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.