• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ant McPartlin fined £86,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43786771
TV presenter Ant McPartlin has been fined £86,000 and given a 20-month driving ban after pleading guilty to drink driving.

Speaking outside Wimbledon Magistrates' Court, he said: "I let myself down, I let a lot of people down. For that I'm truly sorry."

He also said he was "thankful no-one was hurt" in the three-car collision in Richmond, London, on 18 March.

The court heard he had been more than twice the drink drive limit.

In a letter read out in court, McPartlin also said he was "ashamed and mortified" and "accepts full responsibility" for what happened....
This seems an excessive fine and not at all in line as to Wayne Rooney's punishment for the same drink driving offence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
It wasn't the same. Rooney didn't come careering round a corner and hit one car before ploughing head on into another.

trainmania100

Established Member
Should be good for the local economy
Rules for drinking and driving are already blindingly clear, it's just stupidity and someone could have been killed

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Agreed and that applies to everyone, famous or not.
Agreed. Famous people shouldn’t be able to break laws but...

They shouldn’t be charged more than normals either. Surely they don’t charge that much normally? If so... cor.

trainmania100

Established Member
Agreed and that applies to everyone, famous or not.
His weekly wages are over £100,000
My weekly wages are not even 1/100th of that. Fines aren't just a slap on the wrist, they need to incur an influence for the person not to commit the crime again

greyman42

Established Member
His weekly wages are over £100,000
My weekly wages are not even 1/100th of that. Fines aren't just a slap on the wrist, they need to incur an influence for the person not to commit the crime again
Well it did not with Wayne Rooney.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Agreed. Famous people shouldn’t be able to break laws but...

They shouldn’t be charged more than normals either. Surely they don’t charge that much normally? If so... cor.

Any fine has to have an effect on the person in my view. Given that his wage is £100,000 week according to another poster on here, this probably links quite well with the fine one of my parents neighbours was given for drink driving a couple of years back which was £250, with £85 costs and a £25 'victim surcharge'. Mind you, he wasn't involved in an accident fortunately. If Ant McPartlin had only been fined that, I doubt he would have even noticed it disappear from his bank account.

One of PJ's (anyone else remember him as that name!?) other "punishment's" is clearly the damage to his reputation.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Should be good for the local economy
Rules for drinking and driving are already blindingly clear, it's just stupidity and someone could have been killed
The other people wete indeed lucky snd I do wonder what saved them in this case?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Any fine has to have an effect on the person in my view. Given that his wage is £100,000 week according to another poster on here, this probably links quite well with the fine one of my parents neighbours was given for drink driving a couple of years back which was £250, with £85 costs and a £25 'victim surcharge'. Mind you, he wasn't involved in an accident fortunately. If Ant McPartlin had only been fined that, I doubt he would have even noticed it disappear from his bank account.

One of PJ's (anyone else remember him as that name!?) other "punishment's" is clearly the damage to his reputation.
I wonder if the £86,000 includes the costs and victim surcharge or will those be extra?

richw

Veteran Member
Ants Salary is 140k according to report I’ve just read.
The alcohol level quoted gives a band B fine.

FINE BAND B
Starting Point:
100% of relevant weekly income
Range: 75% - 125% of relevant weekly income

Relevant weekly income is after tax. So I guess that’s around 100% after tax

Attachments

• CAD8803F-9B1A-46B0-AF49-56C1D358EB9B.png
    CAD8803F-9B1A-46B0-AF49-56C1D358EB9B.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 11

johntea

Established Member
Financially he has this fine to pay off, his divorce and at least a year of TV earnings (plus the associated sponsorship deals) but let’s face it even after all that he’s still more than comfortably set up for life even if he never returns to TV (which would be a shame although Dec is doing a sterling job solo).

He was an idiot but he just needs to stick to rehab now for as long as he needs, I think he rushed it the first time so that he was back in time for I’m A Celebrity, still didn’t look quite himself on his return which is understandable when addicted to painkiller drugs, alcohol and a marriage collapse - then having to put on a happy face for the TV shows!

adamskiodp

Ants Salary is 140k according to report I’ve just read.
The alcohol level quoted gives a band B fine.

Relevant weekly income is after tax. So I guess that’s around 100% after tax

What would be the fine if no income? Say living at home with parents and not claiming any benefits?

Starmill

Veteran Member
BBC News says this:
District Judge Barbara Barnes described McPartlin as a "well-known and successful entertainer", taking his weekly income of about £130,000 into consideration when calculating the fine.

This results, I think, in about £133 in Basic Rate tax, about £890 on Higher Rate tax, and about £57,000 in Additional Rate tax. I don't know what to assume for National Insurance - about £2,500 ish? So a total bill for both taxes of around £60,000 and net pay of approximately £70,000 a week, or £3.6 million a year? Perhaps he has some relevant deductions or something too, but either way it does seem that he has been fined about 1 weeks income.

bearhugger

Financially he has this fine to pay off, his divorce and at least a year of TV earnings (plus the associated sponsorship deals) but let’s face it even after all that he’s still more than comfortably set up for life even if he never returns to TV (which would be a shame although Dec is doing a sterling job solo).

He was an idiot but he just needs to stick to rehab now for as long as he needs, I think he rushed it the first time so that he was back in time for I’m A Celebrity, still didn’t look quite himself on his return which is understandable when addicted to painkiller drugs, alcohol and a marriage collapse - then having to put on a happy face for the TV shows!
This I agree with. He needs some time to get himself some help. As someone who has been involved in a fatal traffic accident and totally cleared by the subsequent police & coroners investigation as I had done everything I possibly could have to avoid being in that situation, it would have been hell for me if i had done something like being under the influence or driving dangerously or without due care & attention.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I believe the scale being used by which the fine was calculated is one of two thirds of average weekly earnings.
By the way, who is Ant McParlin?:smile: Was he in Adam and the Ants?

richw

Veteran Member
What would be the fine if no income? Say living at home with parents and not claiming any benefits?

I believe there is a base figure.
If you don’t supply an income and expenditure declaration to the court they use an assumed figure.

robbeech

Established Member
BBC News says this:

This results, I think, in about £133 in Basic Rate tax, about £890 on Higher Rate tax, and about £57,000 in Additional Rate tax. I don't know what to assume for National Insurance - about £2,500 ish? So a total bill for both taxes of around £60,000 and net pay of approximately £70,000 a week, or £3.6 million a year? Perhaps he has some relevant deductions or something too, but either way it does seem that he has been fined about 1 weeks income.

And then they say that the "rich" get away with things and its the "poor" that have to pay 'the tax'

tony_mac

Established Member
I believe there is a base figure.
£120 p/w
If you don’t supply an income and expenditure declaration to the court they use an assumed figure.
£440 p/w - and "where there is some information that tends to suggest a significantly lower or higher income than the recommended £440 default sum, the court should make a determination based on that information"
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.u...nes-2/3-definition-of-relevant-weekly-income/

45rpm

The punishment should fit the crime. Yes,he deserves to be banned & fined but that fine seems excessive. It`s like saying that becaus he`s a high-earning celebrity that when he shops at Tesco he should pay more than a customer on the minimum wage. Punish him by all means but punish him fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.