• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anti-depressants and Train Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryH

Hello!

This forum was a great source of information to me when I asked about epilepsy and train driving, so, I thought you may be able to help with a question for a friend.

If a person is prescribed anti-depressants for low-mood, takes said anti-depressants and has no side-effects, would they be eligible to drive trains? I. E. Would they pass the medical?

I did search, and found conflicting information.

Ideally, I'd love to hear from drivers who take anti-depressants, either via reply or direct message.

Once again, thanks for your help in advance.

Terry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hello!

This forum was a great source of information to me when I asked about epilepsy and train driving, so, I thought you may be able to help with a question for a friend.

If a person is prescribed anti-depressants for low-mood, takes said anti-depressants and has no side-effects, would they be eligible to drive trains? I. E. Would they pass the medical?

Ideally, I'd love to hear from drivers who take anti-depressants, either via reply or direct message.

Terry.
Yes, is the quick and easy answer, they would definitely be eligible.

There’s more to it generally than saying yes or no though, and everything is dealt with on its individual merits. I’d say if there are no side effects which would mean the applicant wouldn’t be able to undertake the role of a train driver, then as a general rule they’ll be fine.

The main thing is to declare everything. If invited to a medical, maybe attend with a doctor’s note to preempt one being requested?

LCC106

Established Member
In all likelihood (and the majority of similar posts will agree) if your friend is honest, has been on them a decent amount of time and with no side effects it really should just be a case of discussing with the GP at medical stage. If the type is unsuitable, the GP may recommend a different sort. Then some monitoring for any side effects to ensure all is ok.

Additionally if your friend is due a prescription review (or even if not), they may like to contact their GP to explain the situation, ask if the pills are safety critical friendly and if not, ask to move on to some that are. As Stigy says though, ALWAYS declare all meds!

Last edited:

Heaps92

I had another medical 2 week ago recently started back on anti depressants had to obtain a GP report to say I'm not suicidal and how I cope with side effects before a pass was issued

Applepie356

Everyone is different and I’m not sure what metric the docs use to determine eligibility.

I’m on antidepressants and recently had a medical for a driver role and passed. There was some extra questions asked about side effects and some about my depression and that was it.

cwjohnstone

Hello!

Terry.
Tell your friend not to be overly concerned at medical just be honest. Yes they'll ask you a few questions about the condition you're being treated for just like they would any "physical condition". The railway like many other industries has accepted that mental health conditions require treatment, and, often medication just like any other illness.

If your friend has been on them and is settled then they should be fine. Usually if you're subscribed them whilst in the post you'll be taken off track as a precaution just to make sure there are no nasty side effects. The only other thing is that Anti Depressants can be given along side a mild sedative to aid sleep, your friend might find that the AD's are fine but the sedatives are a no no

LCC106

Established Member
Good point… some antidepressants are recommended to be taken before bedtime rather than in the morning as they can make you drowsy. Another thing to check with the chemist or GP.

Dieseldriver

I have zero knowledge on this subject but just something that has sprung to mind reading this thread. If your friend is taking anti depressants (which in itself I don’t think is necessarily an issue if controlled) would entering a job role that involves erratic shift work cause a new issue?

LCC106

Established Member
Everyone is different, but I know of several people who have joined the railway while taking antidepressants who have found it no more stressful than other people on their intakes.

Dieseldriver

Everyone is different, but I know of several people who have joined the railway while taking antidepressants who have found it no more stressful than other people on their intakes.
Sorry I should have worded that better. I mean the routine in relation to taking the medication. For example, if you have a set bedtime routine where you take your medication at 2300 every night prior to bed, would the differing bedtimes affect that?

LCC106

Established Member
I should imagine ideally you would take it at the same time each day. In the case of being told to take it at bedtime, that’d be one to talk to the GP about if on wildly different shifts I reckon.

cwjohnstone

Sorry I should have worded that better. I mean the routine in relation to taking the medication. For example, if you have a set bedtime routine where you take your medication at 2300 every night prior to bed, would the differing bedtimes affect that?
When I was prescribed them it was as early as possible as I couldn't take the sedative. I raised the shift work issue but the doc just said take it with a meal as soon as possible to waking up. I did advised whether it was earlies, lates or nights and I was fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.