• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Charters for the Golf Open at Sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone know of any charter trains organised for the Golf Open at Sandwich 11th - 18th July? As a local resident I have not the remotest interest in golf but the visit of any charter trains such as a Pullman/ Blue Pullman and dare I say anything steam hauled would be a real result.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does anyone know of any charter trains organised for the Golf Open at Sandwich 11th - 18th July? As a local resident I have not the remotest interest in golf but the visit of any charter trains such as a Pullman/ Blue Pullman and dare I say anything steam hauled would be a real result.
I certainly can't see any advertised.

Last time I think they just reorganised the services from St Pancras with 395s to approach Sandwich via Canterbury West and Dover. I suspect something similar will happen this time.

Golf isn't really the sort of event for special trains as it takes up the whole day so there isn't much time left in the day for charters with dining etc to make sense. However, looking at sixbellsjunction, I note that they did run the VSOE 'British Pullman' and 'Northern Belle' carriages (to Deal) in 2011. That isn't happening this time as both trains appear to be in use for different trips on the relevant days.

In contrast to what (sometimes) happens in Scotland, Southeastern (just about) have rolling stock they can divert to cover the peak loads so no need for charter stock to be used for the masses.

From last time https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-14183487
Southeastern said it carried about 37,000 passengers on both its high-speed and mainline routes into Sandwich in total, about 15% more than expected.
It said on the first day alone, about 5,500 passengers used the high-speed service from London.

Network Rail seem confident of their station work being able to handle the passengers and refer to 12-carriage trains.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/kent/sandwich-station-improvements/#:~:text=Sandwich Station improvements completed ahead of The 149th Open in July 2021&text=The 149th Open will be,of the event in 2020.
Sandwich Station improvements completed ahead of The 149th Open in July 2021

The 149th Open will be played at Royal St George’s Golf Club in Sandwich from Sunday 11 to Sunday 18 July 2021, following the postponement of the event in 2020.

We carried out improvement work at Sandwich station to increase the station capacity and provide a better experience for the thousands of spectators expected to travel by train for this international sporting event.

This is what we delivered:

Extended both platforms at the ‘Dover end’ of Sandwich station by 80 metres, so they can fully accommodate the 12-carriage trains that will operate during The Open. This also means the 12-carriage trains calling at Sandwich will not straddle the level crossing, causing less disruption to local traffic.

Within the station itself, a new stepped footbridge was added to provide a link between the extended platforms, along with a new walkway from the extension on platform one. This will provide spectators with a more segregated and direct route towards Royal St George's Golf Club which avoids local roads and streets.

A new additional entrance was created on platform 1 to assist with the movement of spectators to and from the station. The work is expected to speed up the time it takes to reach the golf course while keeping regular passengers and spectators attending The Open separate to ease passenger congestion at Sandwich station.

Last edited:

I certainly can't see any advertised.

Last time I think they just reorganised the services from St Pancras with 395s to approach Sandwich via Canterbury West and Dover. I suspect something similar will happen this time.

Golf isn't really the sort of event for special trains as it takes up the whole day so there isn't much time left in the day for charters with dining etc to make sense. However, looking at sixbellsjunction, I note that they did run the VSOE 'British Pullman' and 'Northern Belle' carriages (to Deal) in 2011. That isn't happening this time as both trains appear to be in use for different trips on the relevant days.

In contrast to what (sometimes) happens in Scotland, Southeastern (just about) have rolling stock they can divert to cover the peak loads so no need for charter stock to be used for the masses.

From last time https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-14183487

Network Rail seem confident of their station work being able to handle the passengers and refer to 12-carriage trains.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/kent/sandwich-station-improvements/#:~:text=Sandwich Station improvements completed ahead of The 149th Open in July 2021&text=The 149th Open will be,of the event in 2020.
Many thanks for your reply Jonathan. It does seem like a missed opportunity for something a bit special to run when the event is going to host about 30,000 spectators each day.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Many thanks for your reply Jonathan. It does seem like a missed opportunity for something a bit special to run when the event is going to host about 30,000 spectators each day.
It's only a missed opportunity if people were going to be on the train. The vast majority of punters don't want anything special, they just want the train to be on time so they get to the course on time. Unlike a football match there's not any one dominant flow to run additional not-posh trains for. Those that want something a bit special need time for drinks and breakfast to be served. For a suitable charter experience, you're looking at an 8/9am departure with a 12noon/1pm arrival, and then a 6/7pm departure for 10/11pm arrival.

On Moderation
For that number of people you really want 12-car “people movers” to maximise capacity rather than low density specials.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Actually golf is very much the sort of event for special trains. The Open at Royal Birkdale had the Northern Belle + 1 other in 2017 and at St Andrews (I think) a few years ago there were several. Why wouldn't you run special, especially dining, trains to an event that has a largely middle class, affluent following?

Status
Not open for further replies.