• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

any fares to Otley

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Does Otley http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/nonrail/towns/otley.html have fares in avantix/any similar system please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Thanks both for trying. Has a nationalrail page been written for all sizeable towns without a station then?

I'm amazed that there is no link to WY Metro etc on there, as personally I wouldn't go via Menston or Weeton stations to get there (though is possible from either - hourly IIRC. Also hourly from Burley, Harrogate and I think 3 an hour from Leeds and Ilkley.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thanks both for trying. Has a nationalrail page been written for all sizeable towns without a station then?

Certainly has. "Non Rail Towns":

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/nonrail/towns.html

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think the bods at NRE have a bit too much time on their hands- I'm always stumbling across some new feature which must've taken ages to build.

Can anyone remember the name of the combined rail/bus tickets to connect with non-rail towns? I was looking at Cirencester on NRE the other day and was sure it used to be possible to get a through ticket to it- same for various north Cotswold towns. Might have been a FGW thing.

Nym

Established Member
There's also a postcode search tool, you can enter a postcode to a station and it will show you various options at various distances, but doesn't take into account local transport.

From Otley IIRC there is an express bus down to Bradford via Shipley, and between Skipton, Ilkley, Otley and Leeds... So you'd have to choose from them yourself.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There is a link bus from Menston to Otley which (generally) meets the trains from Leeds. It's chargeable but doesn't cost a fortune. They keep changing the number of it

Currently it's the 967:

http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres/C796416D-2E0F-48DD-941D-D7C3A8057418/0/967bustimetable.pdf

When it was launched as the W9 I'm fairly sure there was a rail add-on fare you could get (though I usually had a Metrocard when I used it).

(plus there's additional non-official link buses on the 33A -
http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres/E497EC04-2D56-43FA-9E95-8C74877A62BB/0/033_LDS_bustimetable.pdf)

Just to make life difficult the stops for the 967 and 33A at Menston are nowhere near one another - the 967 comes into the Station car park; the 33A doesn't. They go from adjacent stands in Otley bus station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's also a postcode search tool, you can enter a postcode to a station and it will show you various options at various distances, but doesn't take into account local transport.

From Otley IIRC there is an express bus down to Bradford via Shipley, and between Skipton, Ilkley, Otley and Leeds... So you'd have to choose from them yourself.

There's the X84 from Leeds to Otley.

http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres/CF8A25F0-7F05-47CA-817F-623113984FA5/0/X084bustimetable.pdf

Bradford to Otley links have all but disappeared (there were up to 3 an hour when I did the journey regularly 12 years ago).

There's the 653 every couple of hours during the day (used to be hourly Bradford - Harrogate) but the 963 every hour in the evening!

http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres/2F68E464-1683-4387-8A5D-2E9BE97EF885/0/653bustimetable.pdf

The X53 follows the route of the old 653 from Harrogate to Guisley every couple of hours - unfortunately it's the same hours as the 653 runs.

http://www.wymetro.com/NR/rdonlyres/D0710C98-447F-4B68-84E0-0C6521838483/0/X052bustimetable.pdf

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Ta... I was just going off what was plastered on buses when I was delivering round there ;)

No worries - it used to be a regular drinking haunt - I'd then get the bus to Menston and train to Bradford or bus right through, train to Sowerby Bridge and bus home :) What used to be my regular is now a Wetherspoons :(

Zamracene749

O/T folks but-

The Bowling Green behind the bus station in Otley far and away gets my all time weirdest pub I've ever drunk in award-in fact Otley gets my oddest ever town award and i've been in a lot of pubs and towns- Otley could have easily been the inspiration for Royston Vasey........

In one short afternoon I met a self proclaimed vampire in a beaver hat running a pub that served blood vodka with coffins for tables, a town crier married to a genuinely spine chillingly accurate mind reading nurse (i'm a solid cynic by the way), and two old ghost hunters. All in different pubs.......

PS can remember the 653 Harrogate to Bradford service when it was West Yorkshire Road Car Duple leopards- used to pass Harry Ramsdens never had time to visit but alway fancied it!

4SRKT

Established Member
PS can remember the 653 Harrogate to Bradford service when it was West Yorkshire Road Car Duple leopards- used to pass Harry Ramsdens never had time to visit but alway fancied it!

Harry Ramsden's was an interesting place to visit once in the days when large fish and chip restaurants were a rarity. Now there's one by every major road junction its USP has gone, and even back in the day you could get better fish and chips elsewhere in Guiseley. Now that its transformed itself into the McDonalds of fish and chips and has had the hubris to close its flagship branch it's best forgotten by all true fish and chip connoisseurs.

34D

Established Member
Harry Ramsden's was an interesting place to visit once in the days when large fish and chip restaurants were a rarity. Now there's one by every major road junction its USP has gone, and even back in the day you could get better fish and chips elsewhere in Guiseley. Now that its transformed itself into the McDonalds of fish and chips and has had the hubris to close its flagship branch it's best forgotten by all true fish and chip connoisseurs.

The wetherby whaler are buying/leasing the Guiseley restaurant site

Deerfold

Veteran Member
O/T folks but-

The Bowling Green behind the bus station in Otley far and away gets my all time weirdest pub I've ever drunk in award-

That was my regular. Usually used to sit at the table made from a coffin lid under the hammock with an inflatable sheep on it. Now reborn as a rather boring Wetherspoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.