• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any good footbridges worth spotting at?

bhi156

I've started enjoying trainspotting quite a lot, especially passenger trains such as the Class 390s. I don't care for photography, just watching them go by. That means that I'm often stood at the end of the platform to see them go faster, but being stood meekly at the end of a train station platform by yourself doing nothing results in people thinking that you want to do something a bit darker o_O

I'd prefer to just spot at a footbridge, because that way I can see the trains at speed, much more close-up, not in anybody's way, and with less people around. Does anyone know of any good footbridges (aside from Rugby) that would be worth a shot? I'd be accessing the place by train + walking, and my local stations are SOL and BHI, so ideally within 2 hours of these stations (I don't mind changing trains along the way). Somewhere on the WCML with Pendolinos would be cool, but I doubt there are many across it, and I am down for anywhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LBMPSB

Nowt wrong with just watching trains go by. I enjoy walking as well as watching trains. I try to combine the two by walking alongside railway lines. Using maps and google maps/streetview, I will look for walking routes between stations that are close to railway lines. So for example, I may travel by train to Biggleswade and then walk a route from Biggelwade back to Arlesey walking as close to the railway as possible. It means I get to see trains where I would not normally see trains running and keep fit at the same time.

Iskra

Established Member
Hest Bank level crossing on the West Coast Main Line would probably be as good as you can get. It also has a pub with a very close up railway view too. You may need a train to Lancaster, Carnforth or Morecambe and then a bus. It is walkable from Morecambe station along the sea front, mainly flat with good views although it will take a fair while.

bhi156

Hest Bank level crossing on the West Coast Main Line would probably be as good as you can get. It also has a pub with a very close up railway view too. You may need a train to Lancaster, Carnforth or Morecambe and then a bus. It is walkable from Morecambe station along the sea front, mainly flat with good views although it will take a fair while.
That's so cool. It's a bit of a journey for me, but I'm definitely going to make a day out of it in the summer, including the walk down from Morecambe. Thank you so much!

bhi156

Nowt wrong with just watching trains go by. I enjoy walking as well as watching trains. I try to combine the two by walking alongside railway lines. Using maps and google maps/streetview, I will look for walking routes between stations that are close to railway lines. So for example, I may travel by train to Biggleswade and then walk a route from Biggelwade back to Arlesey walking as close to the railway as possible. It means I get to see trains where I would not normally see trains running and keep fit at the same time.

That actually sounds even better. Those stations are a bit difficult to get to for me because I have to go via London (even though they're closer than London), but I'm going to try find stations where I can walk along the rail line. It seems like Attenborough station is a good catch, too.

LBMPSB

That actually sounds even better. Those stations are a bit difficult to get to for me because I have to go via London (even though they're closer than London), but I'm going to try find stations where I can walk along the rail line. It seems like Attenborough station is a good catch, too.
Yeah just gave those stations as an example. I am retired now so I like going and staying in overnight accommodation somewhere and do many "railway" walks in different parts of the country.

bhi156

Yeah just gave those stations as an example. I am retired now so I like going and staying in overnight accommodation somewhere and do many "railway" walks in different parts of the country.
Oh wow, that sounds really nice. You should consider Dawlish, I've really wanted to do it but it's too far out for me.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
High Wycombe?

There's a couple of bridges with a good angle just to the north of the station.

Attachments

• Peter Archive 11880.jpg
    Peter Archive 11880.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Peter Archive 11884.jpg
    Peter Archive 11884.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Two suggestions of footbridges near railway stations where you can watch Pendolinos at speed and be left alone:

Euxton (south of Preston). There are 2 footbridges to the north of Euxton Balshaw Lane station and 1 to the south. The one to the south, off German Lane, is remote and apart from photographers when something interesting is due and the occasional dog walker you will be completely left alone.

Acton Bridge. There is a footbridge to the north which is popular with photographers but the 2 to the south aren’t so much. All three are remote with just the occasional dog walker and rambler.

DelW

Established Member
Freight rather than high speed passenger, but rather closer to you: I used to like spotting on the stretch of the Water Orton to Walsall line that goes through Sutton Park in Sutton Coldfield. There are several overbridges giving views down a long straight stretch of double track, and there are (or at least were) places where there are paths alongside the line without too many trees in the way. Mind you, my spotting days go back into the steam era when the banks were burned back regularly.

That area is an easy walk from Sutton station on the cross-city line.

birchesgreen

Established Member
The footbridge that takes a public footpath over the Chiltern Main Line, just a short walk along the canal from Hatton station.

Nice and quiet, just get a few dog walkers.
40633581973_be6b4e225d_c.jpg

dmncf

The footbridge over the WCML adjacent to Willesden Junction Station is good for variety.

satisnek

There's a footbridge to the northeast of Willington station, Derbyshire, which crosses all four tracks just after the divergence of the North Staffordshire route and is a popular phot/vid spot. As well as 'XC Central' you get the EMR services to Crewe plus freight traffic using the Castle Donington line (and there's quite a lot!). You can get there by walking along the perimeter of the power station site or, perhaps better, along the canal towpath until just past Mercia Marina entrance on the opposite bank but before the canal footbridge. Last time I went there the approach path was a bit overgrown; that was some time ago so I don't know if it has now been cleared or is even more overgrown.

bhi156

There's a footbridge to the northeast of Willington station, Derbyshire, which crosses all four tracks just after the divergence of the North Staffordshire route and is a popular phot/vid spot. As well as 'XC Central' you get the EMR services to Crewe plus freight traffic using the Castle Donington line (and there's quite a lot!). You can get there by walking along the perimeter of the power station site or, perhaps better, along the canal towpath until just past Mercia Marina entrance on the opposite bank but before the canal footbridge. Last time I went there the approach path was a bit overgrown; that was some time ago so I don't know if it has now been cleared or is even more overgrown.
I'm going to check this out soon, thanks!

bhi156

Two suggestions of footbridges near railway stations where you can watch Pendolinos at speed and be left alone:

Euxton (south of Preston). There are 2 footbridges to the north of Euxton Balshaw Lane station and 1 to the south. The one to the south, off German Lane, is remote and apart from photographers when something interesting is due and the occasional dog walker you will be completely left alone.

Acton Bridge. There is a footbridge to the north which is popular with photographers but the 2 to the south aren’t so much. All three are remote with just the occasional dog walker and rambler.
Are the 2 south of Acton Bridge both accessible? I can see that the second one South is, but what about the first one just south of the station, are you sure that's not private land? I'm just looking off of Google maps and it looks like it's private on street view, but I may be looking at the wrong bit.

birchesgreen

Established Member
This seems great, I love the Chiltern Main Line. How long of a walk is this from the station?
About 10 minutes at the most, you have to go a short way down the canal (which is next to the station) then along a footpath up to the bridge.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Are the 2 south of Acton Bridge both accessible? I can see that the second one South is, but what about the first one just south of the station, are you sure that's not private land? I'm just looking off of Google maps and it looks like it's private on street view, but I may be looking at the wrong bit.
Definitely a public right of way. It is narrow, overgrown and poorly maintained but the entrance is just a few yards after that right hand bend sign as you are coming from the station. The March 2019 image on Google Street View shows it better and there is a small gap just after the gate. That is the footpath.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
If Chesterfield’s not too far for you, the footbridge a little way to the N near Tapton Junction is OK. Four tracks and plenty of trains: Northern, EM, XC and freight.

bhi156

About 10 minutes at the most, you have to go a short way down the canal (which is next to the station) then along a footpath up to the bridge.
Can you send a pin of the bridge on google maps by any chance? I may be blind lol but the bridge I’m seeing shows as a half an hour walk from the station, so I think I may have the wrong one.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can you send a pin of the bridge on google maps by any chance? I may be blind lol but the bridge I’m seeing shows as a half an hour walk from the station, so I think I may have the wrong one.
I *think* it's this one he's talking about? ( screenshot image below - I have no idea how to do a pin... )

1706545058782.png

thecrofter

Rugeley Trent Valley Station on WCML is popular amongst enthusiasts. You can get there by train of course via Birmingham and it's un-staffed so shouldn't cause too much consternation for just "hanging about". There is a farm track footbridge just North of the Station accessible from Colton Road or the A51 bypass via a canal towpath - 20min walk? Popular with photographers seeking a higher level view of the track. Sat there myself in the past with a foldable chair on a nice sunny day.

Shimbleshanks

The footbridge at Coulsdon South on the Brighton Main Line (Redhill loop) if you're ever down this way. Nice, old fashioned open footbridge on a curving section of line. Most of the regular electric units that pass through are bit monotonous, to be honest, but there are a few freights on weekdays and even the occasional diesel or steam special.
my favourite train-watching spot locally.

I believe that Hartford is a good option, especially for the Pendolinos that go through. The footbridge at the station provides a decent view, however there are bridges at both ends which can obstruct your view (especially the one towards Liverpool)

AM9

Veteran Member
Although a bit more that the two hours you mentioned, for class 390s at speed, Gipsy Lane footbridge near Watford (Herts.) is a pretty good site. It's a road bridge* over the WCML just north of the Watford tunnel portals. There you can see trains emerging from and approaching the tunnels at speed. There's a host of information about it here: https://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=1224

* Gipsy Lane is a 500m long residential road thet 'fizzles out' into two footpaths the other side of the bridge, but there is adequate spece to turn a car and even for a couple to park there.Here's a Google Maplocation: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6902965,-0.4303936,152m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Ken H

On Moderation
Look at the map of Atherstone, Warks. Quite a few overbridges there. its a bit bendy so you should see some nice tilting pendoes.

Is Scunthorpe too far? Look for Frodingham infants school on google maps. From there there is a footbridge over the railway. But it also used to go over a large marshalling yard. Remember being pushed over there in my pram, but we moved from Scunny when I was 5 in 1961. I did one term as an infant at that school before we moved. Bridge was bult in the 50's after the older one collapsed.

Get your boots on and get to Ribblehead. Follow the footpath to Blea Moor signalbox, then carry on as if you are going up Whernside The path crosses the railway over a dual purpose bridge, the other half carries a beck on an aqueduct. Nice views of trains at the S entrance to Blea Moor Tunnel. No mobile signal up there so take paper timetables.

If you carry on over the hill towards Dentdale you can see the tips from when they built the tunnel. At the right time of year they are covered with wild strawberries.

Shrewsbury. There is a public footpath over the railway called 'The Dana', a name it shares with the former prison at the Eastern end. You can access it from the station forecourt by steps, and there is a longer way round that is step free. Its covered and there used to be opening windows. But its been refurbished....

bhi156

Thats the one, i'm not sure it takes 30 minutes to get there though i am a fast walker to be honest.
Yep, I was just looking at the wrong bridge, my bad lol. It is publicly accessible between the canal exit and the bridge itself, right? It looks like private land but I think I see a footpath.

bhi156

Although a bit more that the two hours you mentioned, for class 390s at speed, Gipsy Lane footbridge near Watford (Herts.) is a pretty good site. It's a road bridge* over the WCML just north of the Watford tunnel portals. There you can see trains emerging from and approaching the tunnels at speed. There's a host of information about it here: https://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=1224

* Gipsy Lane is a 500m long residential road thet 'fizzles out' into two footpaths the other side of the bridge, but there is adequate spece to turn a car and even for a couple to park there.Here's a Google Maplocation: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6902965,-0.4303936,152m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu
That's a genuinely perfect spot. I'm adding this to my list, as I have loads of suggestions now haha, but I am certainly going to check this out. Thanks for the map as well :)