• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any help

Status
Not open for further replies.

evoice

As i m very new to this site, can anyone let me know what is the difference between a depot and a mainline driver. (depot driver especially). What kind of task does it do?
Any idea/advice will be very helpful for me to step into this industry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Depot drivers stay in the depot and shunt trains around, mainline drivers are the ones who drive the normal trains out on the big network.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
As i m very new to this site, can anyone let me know what is the difference between a depot and a mainline driver. (depot driver especially). What kind of task does it do?
Any idea/advice will be very helpful for me to step into this industry.

Varies between companies, but depot driver is much more akin to the role of shunter, and much of the work will include tasks traditionally performed by this grade. Pulling points, control of moves within a depot, coupling vehicles where required, etc. Expect lots of night work, and to be out in the cold and wet!

Status
Not open for further replies.