• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any idea re. further strikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I read somewhere (probably Twitter) the other day that the next RMT ballot is on 15th November, and therefore if more strikes are planned they wouldn't be able to happen until the beginning off December due to the two weeks notice requirement.

Can't find anything about ASLEF, TSSA or any other information, so would it be safe to assume I could buy tickets (and book hotels) now for dates during the whole of November without fear of the trains being cancelled due to strike action? I appreciate it's a different situation with TPE and AWC but I'm thinking just strikes for making current plans, as with the other situations you can usually get where you're going somehow or other.

(Edited to capitalise ASLEF as it looked silly).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Ballot papers go out from 18th October and the closing date for the ballot returns is the 15th November, ( and I assume they will not count them for a day or so waiting final,last minute postal returns, which will be subject to RM strikes ! ) so not much can be done until December, but the question will be, will they get the required amount ?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I read somewhere (probably Twitter) the other day that the next RMT ballot is on 15th November, and therefore if more strikes are planned they wouldn't be able to happen until the beginning off December due to the two weeks notice requirement.

Can't find anything about Aslef, TSSA or any other information, so would it be safe to assume I could buy tickets (and book hotels) now for dates during the whole of November without fear of the trains being cancelled due to strike action? I appreciate it's a different situation with TPE and AWC but I'm thinking just strikes for making current plans, as with the other situations you can usually get where you're going somehow or other.
I think you're safe so long as there is no unofficial strike action, but that's rather unlikely.

_ollie_

Depends on the route you're potentially doing.

RMT has called a strike of signallers at Didcot Thames Valley Signalling Centre for 5 and 7 November. The strike follows Network Rail’s dismissal of a signaller. Action includes crossing keepers, electrical control room operators and signalling shift managers.

Mak1981

Strikes can still be called even during this period, the previous mandate is still in effect until late november, the new ballot is because of trade union laws which require a reballot every six months to continue the action, there is not a gap in the coverage of the previous action and when the next 6 months will begin as far as I'm aware

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks for clarifying both of the latest posters. Oh well, better not chance booking anything until we're actually in the fortnight before my possible dates.

Matt_pool

I've got a hotel booked in Leeds for the first weekend of December. Even if there isn't a strike I'll still have to take the risk of TPE getting me from Liverpool to Leeds and back. Fortunately I've got free cancelation on the hotel!

kkong

ScotRail RMT members have a 24 hour strike on Saturday 29 October.

2p for checking each electronic ticket... incredible this kind of negotiation is ongoing in 2022. :lol:

From the Financial Times:

RMT's mandate for walkouts ends on November 24, meaning a fresh vote is needed to hold strikes beyond that date.

So RMT can still call strikes for dates upto 24 November (with 14 days notice) based on the current mandate.

Status
Not open for further replies.