• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Any reasonable route" returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

John @ home

Established Member
I am surprised to read the following in Virgin's Easter Travel Guide leaflet, which I picked up at Edinburgh Waverley station this afternoon.
Easter Travel Guide said:
Valid "any reasonable" ticket routes

If using an "any reasonable route" ticket, please note:

Tickets from London to Manchester Piccadilly:
VALID London St. Pancras to Manchester via Chesterfield
NOT VALID London Kings Cross to Leeds

Tickets from London to Birmingham New Street:
VALID London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor / Snow Hill

Tickets from London to Carlisle:
London Kings Cross to Newcastle or Edinburgh routes
VALID south of Leeds NOT VALID north of Leeds

Sorry I can't find a pdf of the leaflet at virgintrains.com
Colours and text effects as in leaflet.
And yes it does mention journeys to Birmingham Moor!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

They'll be talking about getting an InterCity 125, visiting the Travellers-Fare buffet before you trravel and when you can use your Blue Savers in the August Bank Holiday leaflet:)

Incidentally, is it just me or is that Carlisle advice unclear - Settle is north of Leeds, but the leaflet text makes it sound at first glance that it's not permitted.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Incidentally, is it just me or is that Carlisle advice unclear - Settle is north of Leeds, but the leaflet text makes it sound at first glance that it's not permitted.

It isn't clear- they're trying to say that they're not valid via York and Newcastle- it's just a particualrly mealy mouthed way of doing so.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There's a badly written leaflet! Glad I'm not travelling on Virgin over Easter!

I'm not sure about the definition of a "Frequent" shuttle between London and Milton Keynes which is half-hourly, one fewer an hour than than on a normal Sunday. It's not horrendous, but I woudn't describe it as a frequent shuttle.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's very badly worded.

It's basically saying tickets routed Any Permitted from Carlisle to London are only valid on the ECML as far north as Leeds. Obviously they are valid north of Leeds, on the line to Carlisle.

I think it would be much simpler if they changed the Route Newcastle fares to Any Permitted, and re-named the Any Permitted to Route Not Newcastle, and ensured that via Newcastle was a permitted route.

The idea that an Any Permitted ticket is more restrictive than a route specific ticket, and that a route specific ticket is valid via the route specified and all the permitted routes is absurd.

mickey

I thought the same thing. Similarly, why no mention of valid routes out of Paddington?

Status
Not open for further replies.