• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any virgin train engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackCulross

Hello I applied to become an engineer for Virgin trains edinburgh.

Just had a couple of questions for any existing engineers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hedpe

Is that the apprenticeship? Couldnt find anything else on the VTEC website, but would also be interested if theres anyone on here who works in Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

ZackCulross

Is that the apprenticeship? Couldnt find anything else on the VTEC website, but would also be interested if theres anyone on here who works in Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

Yeah it is, I applied for it.
Just have a couple question if there was anyone out there.

Clip

Established Member
Ask the questions and people may be able to actually answer them for you.

PudseyBearHST

Just questions like
What's the hours.
Night shift?
Is it a rewarding job?
Can you progress on the job to train driver( for example)

Etc ...

I am not an engineer but your last question is quite a bizarre one. To be honest, judging by how competitive a train driver is in this day and age, you can never say you have a good chance of becoming one. The only exception to that is depot driver or possibly some sort of customer service role such as Train Manager. And besides, an engineer and driver are two completely different career paths- an engineer* is a skilled job because you will be earning a qualification (HND or bachelors degree) at the end of your apprenticeship and if your goal is to become a train driver, it almost seems like a backward step and one that the company may not be too happy about because they are spending lots of money training you up for the apprenticeship! I could be wrong and I don't work for the company and this is just my opinion.

*some countries do regard train drivers to be an engineers such as US (locomotive engineer) but in this context Ive written in, a train driver is not an engineer

ZackCulross

I am not an engineer but your last question is quite a bizarre one. To be honest, judging by how competitive a train driver is in this day and age, you can never say you have a good chance of becoming one. The only exception to that is depot driver or possibly some sort of customer service role such as Train Manager. And besides, an engineer and driver are two completely different career paths- an engineer* is a skilled job because you will be earning a qualification (HND or bachelors degree) at the end of your apprenticeship and if your goal is to become a train driver, it almost seems like a backward step and one that the company may not be too happy about because they are spending lots of money training you up for the apprenticeship! I could be wrong and I don't work for the company and this is just my opinion.

*some countries do regard train drivers to be an engineers such as US (locomotive engineer) but in this context Ive written in, a train driver is not an engineer

Sorry sort of came out wrong, train driver was just an example although that has been a dream of mines.

I was just wondering if the was progression room

PudseyBearHST

Sorry sort of came out wrong, train driver was just an example although that has been a dream of mines.

I was just wondering if the was progression room

No I completely agree. I would love to become a train driver and I am sure so many others would too!
I would not say a train driver is a 'progression' from an engineer. It almost sounds like a train driver is better or more superior (in terms of promotion) compared to an engineer which I am sure many engineers would frown upon because of the skill levels and qualifications of both jobs. The only way a train driver in this day and age is superior is only because of the salary. But as I say, both are different career paths. Its not that I think you won't have a chance to become a driver- its just I don't think your chances will be enhanced by becoming an engineer.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? Just wondering because you are doing an apprenticeship so I imagine you are quite young :).

ZackCulross

No I completely agree. I would love to become a train driver and I am sure so many others would too!
I would not say a train driver is a 'progression' from an engineer. It almost sounds like a train driver is better or more superior (in terms of promotion) compared to an engineer which I am sure many engineers would frown upon because of the skill levels and qualifications of both jobs. The only way a train driver in this day and age is superior is only because of the salary. But as I say, both are different career paths. Its not that I think you won't have a chance to become a driver- its just I don't think your chances will be enhanced by becoming an engineer.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? Just wondering because you are doing an apprenticeship so I imagine you are quite young :).

Currently work at arnoldclark
Only 21 and saw VTEC where hiring engineers in edinburgh so I'm chancing my luck.

Also no disrespect to any engineers out there it was purely an example
Some other ones would be becoming like engineering manager or something but that would be a long way away.

PudseyBearHST

Currently work at arnoldclark
Only 21 and saw VTEC where hiring engineers in edinburgh so I'm chancing my luck.

Also no disrespect to any engineers out there it was purely an example
Some other ones would be becoming like engineering manager or something but that would be a long way away.

Good luck with your application:)

Nym

Established Member
Apologies in advance for the probable rant, but are these vacancies for train maintainers or engineers?

I'm yet to see any apprenticeship that leads directly to an engineering position...

ZackCulross

Apologies in advance for the probable rant, but are these vacancies for train maintainers or engineers?

I'm yet to see any apprenticeship that leads directly to an engineering position...

The 3 VTEC ones are for engineers and yes for the one I applied for I would do 4 years training then be working at the Edinburgh depot full time qualified.

London one says 3 years and after you past you then go on to work for Hitachi rail group.

Hope this helped

PudseyBearHST

Also South West Trains are recruiting engineering apprentices at Wimbledon and Salisbury to anyone who is interested.

" At the end of the 4 years you should be qualified and become a skilled Maintenance Engineer "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.