• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any way to run Google Maps on a Kindle Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

Basically just that. I only have a Kindle Fire and it doesn't have the Google Maps app. Is there anyway to get said Fire to run Google Maps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
You would need to add Google Play Services in order to support the app and access the Google Play store. It's a bit of a faff, but you'll find instructions on the web for doing so. But be warned, it's not for the faint-hearted.

Alternatively, just use something like Here Maps instead. I find it much superior to Google Maps for navigation.

[.n]

You would need to add Google Play Services in order to support the app and access the Google Play store. It's a bit of a faff, but you'll find instructions on the web for doing so. But be warned, it's not for the faint-hearted.

Alternatively, just use something like Here Maps instead. I find it much superior to Google Maps for navigation.

Its a pretty easy process really (obviously there is more detail than I'm providing but takes about 15 minutes max).

1) Change a setting in a menu on the Kindle
2) Download an app from the app store (that will help you download the various Google bits and bobs that you need)
3) Download (i.e. install) the various Google bit and bobs that are required
4) You'll now have the full Play store and be able to download anything you want (note if a popular app is available in the Amazon Store as well, its usually best to download that version, as often there is a specific Amazon offer that goes with it)

I used this mainly to get the Youtube Kids app onto my Kindle - with regard to maps I prefer Here Maps on all my devices - can't stand the Google tracking!

Status
Not open for further replies.