• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anybody know what happened to the 12.18 Manchester Pic to Doncaster today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORTHERNSOUL

Seems it only made it as far as Hazel Grove and then gave out. What happened to the passengers who were travelling to Doncaster ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Unit fault. Train returned to Manchester, swapped to a new set and set off again as additional service 1T76.

Edited to add - the passengers went back to Manchester with the set.

D365

Veteran Member
I was on this service. Reported over the PA as an engine fault, we were turfed off at HAZ before the staff realised that we'd be stuck there with no onwards trains or buses.

Later the platform staff at MAN (after we swapped onto 1T76) suggested that it was a door interlock fault.

Passengers for DON were advised at MAN to wait for the 1419 [1B80], which I think was poor advice. They should have stayed on 1T76 and changed at SHF.

Last edited:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I was on this service. Reported over the PA as an engine fault, we were turfed off at HAZ before the staff realised that we'd be stuck there with no onwards trains or buses.

Later the platform staff at MAN (after we swapped onto 1T76) suggested that it was a door interlock fault.

Passengers for DON were advised at MAN to wait for the 1419, which I think was poor advice. They should have stayed on 1T76 and changed at SHF.
And what service would they have taken from Sheffield?

NORTHERNSOUL

Unit fault. Train returned to Manchester, swapped to a new set and set off again as additional service 1T76.

Edited to add - the passengers went back to Manchester with the set.
So the train was fit enough to travel back to Manchester but not fit to continue on to Sheffield ?

D365

Veteran Member
So no benefit then?
I'll confess my that (false) assumption was that Sheffield would give the option of additional Northern services to DON. Obviously not the case today.

So the train was fit enough to travel back to Manchester but not fit to continue on to Sheffield ?
Sounds rather strange
I was rather confused myself, but given that there were no onward connections available from Hazel Grove, it seems like the least worst option.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I was rather confused myself
Maybe it could've been helpful for it to be in Manchester to get the train to Siemens in Ardwick for repairs? Lot closer than Sheffield and if it really was engine things they might not wanna send it further than they need to?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Northern couldn't be bothered to run anything to and from Hazel Grove today. TPE ran a couple of non-stop Hazel Grove to Manchester Piccadilly services, however they were sporadic.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Northern couldn't be bothered to run anything to and from Hazel Grove today. TPE ran a couple of non-stop Hazel Grove to Manchester Piccadilly services, however they were sporadic.
Couldn't be bothered or didn't have the resources? Sunday is outside the working week on that side of the Pennines I believe.

On Moderation
Sounds rather strange
Not when you consider that TPE have no depot facilities on the South Trans Pennine route east of the Pennines. It makes sense to get the set back to Manchester, swap it out and send the demic unit to Siemens at Ardwick for fixing (as it appears to have done on 5W76).

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I'll confess my that (false) assumption was that Sheffield would give the option of additional Northern services to DON. Obviously not the case today.

I was rather confused myself, but given that there were no onward connections available from Hazel Grove, it seems like the least worst option.
Unfortunately Northern have not bothered to run any trains between Sheffield and Doncaster today.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Couldn't be bothered or didn't have the resources? Sunday is outside the working week on that side of the Pennines I believe.

Bit of both but they couldn't run anything the other day either that wasn't a strike day.

skyhigh

Established Member
Sounds rather strange

There have been 2 suggestions of the fault, either interlock or engine related. Either would want the train terminated as soon as reasonable and the train to end somewhere it could be repaired.

Either way, as far as I'm aware there are no 185 maintenance facilities at Sheffield/Doncaster. There are at Manchester, so that's where the train would need to go.

So given the background, it's entirely reasonable it went back to Manchester with passengers and didn't continue in service.

NORTHERNSOUL

Yes but it would have been a lot easier to get a RR bus in Sheffield to take the passengers doing the last leg on to Doncaster as First Bus is the main operator in South Yorkshire meaning they're effectively the same company.

But it seems rather than do that they'd rather inconvenience dozens of passengers and ruin their day

Established Member
First Bus is the main operator in South Yorkshire meaning they're effectively the same company.
When I worked for a National Express TOC we were most definitely totally separate companies. Your vision may well not be reality.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

Passengers for DON were advised at MAN to wait for the 1419 [1B80], which I think was poor advice. They should have stayed on 1T76 and changed at SHF.
Ticket acceptance aside, was the 192 bus running today?

D365

Veteran Member
Yes but it would have been a lot easier to get a RR bus in Sheffield to take the passengers doing the last leg on to Doncaster as First Bus is the main operator in South Yorkshire meaning they're effectively the same company.

But it seems rather than do that they'd rather inconvenience dozens of passengers and ruin their day
Disagree - I think that the staff did everything right. Returning to Manchester wasn't ideal, but we were a full and standing six car train. I dread to imagine the chaos that would have ensued in shuffling us onto a fleet of buses, rather than a platform change at Piccadilly.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Sorry, should have narrowed down, was referring to the Stagecoach Manchester service (Stepping Hill to Piccadilly via Hazel Grove and Stockport). Britain's most frequent bus service I believe?
Probably the nearby Wilmslow Rd bus corridor.
But, yes, according to Stagecoach Mcr, it was with reduced frequency - every 30 mins to Hazel Grove, every 15 to Mcr in the daytime. But earlier finishes, apart from on the Airport 43.

Status
Not open for further replies.