• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anybody wants a VAST collection of free photo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerrit

Hello All

A newbie here. Recently a british acquiantance of mine sadly passed away. Among his belongings were several boxes of photos he had made through the years of British electrical trains. I'm talking about thousands, if not tens of thousands, of photo's and several boxes of slides, taken over a span of 30 to 40 years. Geoff had made a serious hobby of it. I've cursorily browsed through them, and all seem to be dated on the back, with mention of location and type of train.

Being somewhat of a collector myself (of music, that is), I found the idea of binning them too sad to contemplate, therefore I have taken it upon myself to try and find a good home for them.

Now, I have no idea if this is interesting at all, but I do hope someone will be interested in obtaining these. They are free for the taking. The drawback is, that Geoff, as do I, lived in Spain, near Granada. Shipping will therefore entail some cost, or at least organization (perhaps a travelling relative/friend).

I would greatly appreciate any response.

Thank you

Gerrit

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, hope he didn't suffer!

I would be interested in the slides, if you could let me know a rough idea about the cost of postage to Plymouth, Devon we should be able to sort something out, cheque probably, many thanks mike.

cant PM as you will need to make 5 posts before being able to PM back.

Gerrit

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Unfortunately, the story of my friend was not too happy, I regret to say.

As for the shipping costs, I will look into that and I'll let you know. If I understand correctly, you are only interested in the slides, but not the photos, yes?

Anyone else maybe?

royaloak

Established Member
Sorry about your friends tale, it really is awful for everyone around when its like that as you feel so helpless, been there done that.
Thats right just the slides I am afraid. as I find photos take up too much room, I am sure there will be somebody interested in the photos, will put some feelers out to a few people if thats okay.

Gerrit

Rockin', thank you very much.

As for Geoff all I can say without going into detail, is that it didn't take long. Small blessing, but enough to be grateful for.

I sure hope I can at least do this for him, to find an enthusiast so as to honour his multi-decade efforts.

Established Member
I'd be very interested in the photos :)

As with royaloak, if you could let me know approximate shipping costs (And I'll see if I can afford it :lol:)

It's a pity when something like that happens, but I think what you're doing is a good idea.

Gerrit

Wonderful, thank you! I would be really happy if this would work out. We're looking at a fair bit of kilo's so I hope the cost won't offset the benefits. I'll get some scales from a friend, weigh the boxes, and over the weekend I should be able to get some idea of cost. I do have a buddy here who does removal runs from Spain to England and he happens to be planning a trip this month. I'll ask him what he would charge. Of course it would be up to the recipient to meet him somewhere in England, but all will become clear. More to follow.

will1337

I hope that whoever receives these photos uploads some of them for there must be a fair bit of history in them. Sorry to hear of your loss Gerrit but it is good that the knowledge can live on.

Gerrit

Well, so there then :D

@Will: Quite right, I expect someone who knows his stuff will find a wealth of history and detail.

Gerrit

Hello guys

Very sorry for taking so long. I've been absolutely swamped with work, which is good, and it's been difficult, which is less good. But I don't complain, as I'm probably the only one in this town who even has work. And for a tailor, that's bloody good fortune.

So this time I will not promise when I will know more. But I will be back here. After all, I have four removal boxes sitting in my house, and I need the space :D

royaloak

Established Member
. But I will be back here. After all, I have four removal boxes sitting in my house, and I need the space :D

Hope they are not all for us :lol:, would need a second mortgage for the postage.
Its good that you have been busy with work, as and when convenient to your good self of course, but if you could just pop in to say hello occasionally it would be great, I do get lonely :lol:
Thank you for the update.

Gerrit

Hello folks

I'm afraid no one has gotten the pics. Lots of things have happened here and I've moved house and shipping them to the UK has turned out to be very complicated and far more costly than I had expected. Sorry...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wonder if the NRM might want them for their "Search Engine" archives, in which case the costs might get covered?

Status
Not open for further replies.