• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone else have a dSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Established Member
Anyone else have a dSLR?

I'm probably going to be buying one of these this week (the lens, I already have a 20D body) Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kris

Can anybody recommend a good one? I took a page out of the Times yesterday JESSOPS are doing a CANON EOS 350D for £380 inc free flash.

I definately need an image stabiliser though - anyone know if it has one?

Craig

Established Member
Can anybody recommend a good one? I took a page out of the Times yesterday JESSOPS are doing a CANON EOS 350D for £380 inc free flash.

I definately need an image stabiliser though - anyone know if it has one?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

The 350D is a decent camera although it's now been super seeded by the 400D (my 20D is the next step up and has been replaced by the 30D), which is probably why Jessops have them on offer. You'll probably be able to get a 350D body cheaper than that elsewhere, but it might be worth getting if the flash is any good.

After that you'll need to get a lens which affects the image quality much more than the camera body does and is where you should be spending your money IMO. It's the lens that'll have image stabilization rather than the body.

Warehouse Express is a good shop to look at:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

Finally it's worth bearing in mind that once you start buying equipment you're stuck with that range, so in this case Canon (and Canon compatible). So you should look at the other brands available before deciding - Nikon is the main competitor.

compsci

The difference between the 300D and 350D was huge. Other than the obligatory upgrade in pixel count the only major change I've heard of is an ultrasonic dust remover, which may or may not actually achieve much.

Other than the kit 18-55mm lens which came with the camera I subsequently splashed out on a 70-200mm F4 L (not the new IS version). As a friend warned me, I'm unlikely to ever buy a non L lens now.

I originally paid £450 for my kit (including £100 discount for using a Mastercard) the Christmas before last. So £380 might not be an especially good deal. Without knowing what model the flash is I won't factor that in. I hardly use mine (which is still the internal one)

If you can manage it making a lens miraculously appear from the sky shortly after leaving the airport after a flight from the US can save a silly amount of money. The £ = $ rule is more apparent for high end camera lenses than almost anything else.

Kris

Thanks - not really techie but I want a decent camera to start taking photography up.

Kris

Thanks - some great info on that site.

I have a 3.2 mp camera on my phone with frameburst, image stabilisation etc. It's a far better camera than the fuji finepix thingy I had.

I want something that'll take really fine pictures of the sort that could be used for posters or magazine publishing.

Jonno2055

I own a fujfilm s9500 it is very good. I shoudl think that it has come down in price since i got mine at christmas it was £280 then from PC World. Last time I checked it was about £240 and of course the new s9600 is out. As far as I can tell its slightly improved with a larger LCD. I've not really tested the camera fully in all conditions but it takes better photos than my old camera.

Beaker

Established Member
Canon 350d is pretty darn good camera, just need some money for some more decent lenses.i know jessops do there special edition 350d which is silver and has a USM lense rather than the normal one.

compsci

When you get to high end cameras silver is to be avoided on style grounds. SLRs are meant to be black, lenses black or better still white.

There are two types of USM, with the type in the Jessops lens being a normal motor which is a whole .1 of a second faster than the non USM variant. Proper USM such as that in my telephoto uses a ring motor which is extremely fast and near silent.

ChrisM

Nikon for me.
Will be upgrading my D50 for a D200, 80-200mm 2.8 within the next few months.
The Canon 30D looks good though and of course all those cheap but good Canon F4 lenses.

trains2

Anyone else have a dSLR?

I'm probably going to be buying one of these this week (the lens, I already have a 20D body) Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM.

That's a fab camera mate, I'm the proud owner of one and it really is fantastic. I bought mine second hand from the London Camera Exchange for £450, plus 28-105mm & 100-300mm lenses, bringing the whole lot to £630, which is an utter bargin compared to buying the lot new, which would've come to over a grand.

The 400d looks very good too, slightly lower specs than the 20d/30d but for the money it's good (£430 a friend bought it for body only)

class 313

Established Member
Thanks - not really techie but I want a decent camera to start taking photography up.

I wouldnt start photography with a SLR, Id use a digital camera (which I am atm), I upgraded from 3x zoom to a 10x zoom. The next instalment will be a SLR but not for atleast a couple of years or so...

Craig

Established Member
I wouldnt start photography with a SLR, Id use a digital camera (which I am atm), I upgraded from 3x zoom to a 10x zoom.
Just to add to that, I'd get a camera that allows manual control so you can get the hang of exposure/aperture.

I've just ordered that lens, my wallet is now rather empty :lol:

Beaker

Established Member
When you get to high end cameras silver is to be avoided on style grounds. SLRs are meant to be black, lenses black or better still white.

There are two types of USM, with the type in the Jessops lens being a normal motor which is a whole .1 of a second faster than the non USM variant. Proper USM such as that in my telephoto uses a ring motor which is extremely fast and near silent.

I couldnt give a hoot about the colour though ,it was cheap , and got a decent lense.

Demps

Cant beat the 10-22mm, although, if your wanting to do general shots aswell as wide angle, i would consider the L 17-40mm F4 (Awesome lens!!!), Due to the 1.6 crop on your camera it becomes a zoom range lens, perfect for general use.

P.s if you Buy a new 10-22 you wont get the lens hood with it!

rmt

Cant beat the 10-22mm, although, if your wanting to do general shots aswell as wide angle, i would consider the L 17-40mm F4 (Awesome lens!!!), Due to the 1.6 crop on your camera it becomes a zoom range lens, perfect for general use.

P.s if you Buy a new 10-22 you wont get the lens hood with it!

I've got a 17-35mm f/2.8 lens, cracking for doing lots of evening work with. I've also got a 28-70mm f/2.8 on repair at the moment (£10 off ebay so no loss if it doesn't work).

Demps

I've got a 17-35mm f/2.8 lens, cracking for doing lots of evening work with. I've also got a 28-70mm f/2.8 on repair at the moment (£10 off ebay so no loss if it doesn't work).

Nice one, Are you using a 1.6 sensor crop camera?

Reini

i would consider the L 17-40mm F4 (Awesome lens!!!), Due to the 1.6 crop on your camera it becomes a zoom range lens, perfect for general use.

I use this lens, it´s real great! Only problem, it isn´t cheap, but it´s worth the money.

compsci

I'm very likely to get that one next to complement my telephoto. I haven't heard a bad thing said about it. Hopefully work will send me to NY again so I can pick it up comparatively cheaply.

petethetim

I have a Nikon D100 ,an Olympus E20 & Fuji Pro S3 But Can not use them due to my ill health ,so just yesterday for a Birthday present my Girl Friend bought me a Samsung 850
8 MP pocket-able Camera with a 5 x Optical Zoom & from the initial results I'm delighted The Only Bugger is It uses SD cards & all my previous have used Compact Flash or Micro Drive.

I feel like flogging the DSLRs or at least some of them But I live in hope of my health improving as there can be no argument to their usefulness or versatility & anyone serious about photography should consider getting one & the fact that the starting price is about 20% of the price I paid for my Fuji Pro s1 back in 2001, I think it coast me £2200 for the full kit:eek: & that was with a cash discount & no lens

rmt

I have a Nikon D100 ,an Olympus E20 & Fuji Pro S3 But Can not use them due to my ill health ,so just yesterday for a Birthday present my Girl Friend bought me a Samsung 850
8 MP pocket-able Camera with a 5 x Optical Zoom & from the initial results I'm delighted The Only Bugger is It uses SD cards & all my previous have used Compact Flash or Micro Drive.

I feel like flogging the DSLRs or at least some of them But I live in hope of my health improving as there can be no argument to their usefulness or versatility & anyone serious about photography should consider getting one & the fact that the starting price is about 20% of the price I paid for my Fuji Pro s1 back in 2001, I think it coast me £2200 for the full kit:eek: & that was with a cash discount & no lens

I'd be interested in either the D100 OR S3.... :)

Kris

I ended up getting an Olympus E400 for almost £200 cheaper than list - brand new off ebay with 2 lenses.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120104810217&rd=1&rd=1

Does anybody know - is it safe to leave the rechargeable battery in it when not in use?

I know you have to take the batteries out of most Fuji's (last 2 I've owned anyway) but there is no warning about this battery with the Olympus so I presume it's safe?

Can anybody recommend camera insurers too?

Cheers

compsci

If you have home contents insurance than it will almost certainly be cheaper to have the camera as an unspecified object taken outside the home. Mine was only about £30 in addition to the main policy for up to £2k (minimum available) of items, with up to £1k when taken abroad. This includes accidental damage. Theft from vehicles only if in the boot and there was forced entry.

When I didn't have a flat to insure I took out a policy with photoguard, which was £50 for £700 of cover anywhere in the world. Theft from vehicles was not included.

Kris

Many thanks for that - sounds like home contents is the way to go

andersley

I have been using a Fuji S5000 for quite a while. pretty good camera with a 10x zoom.

But I wanted to get back into SLR's which I used in film camera days, so just bought a Nikon D40 with standard and telephoto lenses. Has not arrived yet but I can't wait to get my hands on it. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.