• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone else wonders about what happened to long-lost forum members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken X

I contribute to a watch and clock forum who's demographic is, shall we say, past the average. Quite a few posters have died over the years and the forum places a small "Deceased" flag under their forum name. It always catches my eye when researching a particular subject and, having found a piece of very useful information, note the contributer is no longer with us.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I contribute to a watch and clock forum who's demographic is, shall we say, past the average. Quite a few posters have died over the years and the forum places a small "Deceased" flag under their forum name. It always catches my eye when researching a particular subject and, having found a piece of very useful information, note the contributer is no longer with us.

Oh blimey. I don’t think we’re going to start do that! :lol:

D6130

Established Member
Oh blimey. I don’t think we’re going to start do that! :lol:
In the event of a regular contributor passing away - for whatever reason - how would the Forum know? It's not exactly like a subscription organisation - such as the Friends of the Settle-Carlisle Line, of which I am a member - which, in most cases would be informed by friends or relatives and then publish a list of deceased members in their quarterly magazine.

Jimini

Established Member
Sometimes the family will post an update -- RichmondCommu for one springs to mind (he sadly passed five years ago or so).

BJames

Established Member
District Dave's does similar, I noticed an In memoriam written below a username when I came across a thread a while back.

brad465

Established Member
Wonder what happened to:
@Ivo
Ivo was a regular on challenges I remember, from what I heard (happy to be corrected), he may have had a falling out with the forum/some of its members.

@DaveNewcastle is another member I notice has been inactive for a few years now. While he comes up in searches if you know his precise username, and his posts still show up, search suggestions don't seem to recognise him either.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sometimes the family will post an update -- RichmondCommu for one springs to mind (he sadly passed five years ago or so).
It later transpired that @RichmondCommu didn't actually die; they made it up.

Their post claiming to have died was:
Dear all,

Just to let you all know that just over 7 days a go my husband (known to you all as Richmond Commu) lost his long battle with cancer. Richmond Commu is survived by his parents, myself, his two sisters Jaynie and Sue, his children Tim, Tom, Tilly and Florence, and his grand children Max and Mila.

In addition to being a wonderful son, brother, husband, father, grand father and friend to many I'm proud to say that he made a significant and lasting contribution to the three organisations that he worked for. I'm aware that none of you had the opportunity to meet my husband but he was the most amazing and wonderful man and for 25 years I was proud to call him my husband. He was also my hero and my best friend and a very brave man.

My husbands final ambition was to see Christmas 2017 and he did exactly that. Ever since he'd been diagnosed with cancer he had started to write an account of his life and the railways 'bits' will be posted on this forum in the months to come.

We just thought you should know that's all.

Kind regards,

Manjit.
However they also claimed to have died previously:
Hello everyone,

Nine days a go our Dad Andrew died from a heart attack. Whilst our Dad wasn't a regular poster on this forum, and indeed when he did not everyone agreed with him he never the less loved our football club with all his heart. No matter how badly Derby were playing Dad always looked forward to attending games both home and away. Indeed at times Dad would go to extraordinary lengths to watch our team and this has rubbed off on us, his children. Indeed because of our wonderful Dad three of us have become lifelong Derby fans despite having been born in London and we are now working on our half brother who is a Dortmund fan.

We just thought you ought to know, that’s all.

Tim, Tom, Tilly and Florence.

Up the Rams and always believe.

Thanks.
(bold = my emphasis to show similarities)

This took a lot of investigating, and various other inconsistencies were found as a result.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wonder what happened to:

@vt_preston_tez
Quite some time ago, that former contributor's name was mentioned on this website in passing, but doubts were cast if the person in mind was the same as this one.

I remember @VTPreston_Tez being a schoolboy contributor and the thread that he set up called "End of the Station's Word" on the Quizzes and Games forum many years ago is still going strong.

Ivo was a regular on challenges I remember, from what I heard (happy to be corrected), he may have had a falling out with the forum/some of its members.
@Ivo was the website member who launched the Settlement Association quiz on this website in 2011, which is still going strong. He seemed to have home connections to the Thorpe Bay area of Southend and we often conversed via the former PM website system and the last that I heard many years ago, he was considering writing a book.

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member

However they also claimed to have died elsewhere:

This took a lot of investigating, and various other inconsistencies were found as a result.
Wait, wha- o_O

Jimini

Established Member

However they also claimed to have died elsewhere:

What on earth..? o_O

MotCO

Established Member

He wasn't Mark Twain, was he? :D

brad465

Established Member
And if I recall correctly they still kept popping up here occasionally under new accounts/usernames.
Had this member been doing other outlandish/suspicious stuff on the forum, that would soon see them banned, prior to this incident? I can't think of any other reason why someone would go to the trouble of faking their death on an online forum.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Had this member been doing other outlandish/suspicious stuff on the forum, that would soon see them banned, prior to this incident? I can't think of any other reason why someone would go to the trouble of faking their death on an online forum.

As far as I'm aware, no - RichmondCommu routinely posted interesting, polite, and very well reasoned stuff, and it seemed to me was a well respected part of the railforums community - until suddenly all the stuff about multiple accounts and faking his own death on multiple forums turned up.

nw1

Established Member
Maybe he was hacked?

Could well be, yes. Sounds a bit more plausible than faking your own death for no apparent reason.

Even if they were going to get banned, faking one's death seems a little OTT!

ChrisC

Established Member
One question as matter of interest after reading this thread. Are people eventually removed from the forum list if they have been inactive for a long period of time. I’m thinking about something like 5 or even 10 years. It was mentioned earlier about how there’s mostly no way of knowing if someone has died. Just thinking there could be hundreds of members who sadly died some time ago but are still listed as members of the forum.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member

…well that really is interesting.

People have mentioned @Ivo, I joined the forum long after he left but have come across his abandoned profile before and funnily enough, he was the inspiration for making this thread.

I also notice “tbtc” has recently gone off grid

MotCO

Established Member
Last seen today at 08.53 so still logging into the forum.

I assume it is possible that some 'long-lost' members are just browsing and reading these days rather than posting?

skyhigh

Established Member
I assume it is possible that some 'long-lost' members are just browsing and reading these days rather than posting?
I think that's quite likely. Seeing as there's no need to sign in to browse it's possible some 'lost' members are still invisibly looking at the forums.

I'm a member of a few forums and it's normal for regulars to fade away over time. People get new jobs, retire, get into/out of relationships, lose interest and hundreds of other things over the years. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. It's just the way things go.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I now do just that on a different website that I used to follow on certain localised threads to keep up to date with information, as many employees of transport organisations make postings on there. I actually gave up following another one, as brass band contest posting seemed suddenly to take the place of localised public transport matters (on the east side of Greater Manchester).

Could well be, yes. Sounds a bit more plausible than faking your own death for no apparent reason.

Even if they were going to get banned, faking one's death seems a little OTT!

A US forum I was a regular on had a similar experience about 10-12 years ago. Someone passing themself off as female registered the handle 'barefootprinter' and began posting perfectly normal chatty posts. After a few months, 'she' broke the news that 'she' had been diagnosed as having cancer. A couple of months later, someone registered 'barefootprinter1' as a handle, and posted to say that 'barefootprinter' had suddenly passed away - I can't remember what connection this second poster claimed to have with the first (in fact the two must have been one person). A link to a newspaper report of a funeral was posted, but a couple of the regular posters thought that something wasn't quite right, and began looking into it online. After a week they found that it was all a big lie, and there was no poster that had died and the newspaper report was unconnected to any poster.

Why would someone create a fake story and a fake death? My guess would be the enjoyment of having the power to be able to manipulate others into believing a big lie, perhaps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.