• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone in Northern Rail Recruitment on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyN

I just wondered if there is anyone in Northern Rail Recruitment or any Railway Recruitment on here who would give my CV the once over.

Has I have mentioned in previous posts I am trying to get back in the Rail Industry and now realise its a totally different ball game from the days when it was British Rail and you could get on if family were on. I joined British Rail straight from leaving School and worked for BR for 9 years and loved my time there. I have recently tried to get back in the Rail Industry. I realise the competition for these jobs so have been applying for Train Presentation Operative jobs. After a Interview last year on my first application I admit I went wrong by not researching Northern Rail enough and not thinking they would ask me Customer related questions as it was a cleaning job I was going for. I realise I did not do myself justice so know how to correct the problem.

Since then I did 2 Months work at Leeds on nights Train Cleaning via a agency and paid my own way to get the experience on my CV and while there I passed my PTS and have a Depot Safety Card but since my first application I keep getting knockbacks. I understand nobody as a divine right to any job but I thought if I had a interview the first time I applied and since then nothing, even though I have updated my skills, I am wondering if my CV needs looking at.

In the last 2 months I have updated my skills and done courses in Customer Services and Health & Safety as this bodes well in Railway and other Industry Jobs, so hoping patience will pay off. I admittedly am a little bemused how I got a interview at the first time of applying and since nothing even though I have current experience.

Since my last application I have also been doing a part time cleaning job in the evenings so I also have current cleaning experience.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnFM

You say that you "admittedly am a little bemused how I got a interview at the first time of applying and since nothing even though I have current experience"

When you say and since nothing, what do you mean? Are you applying for other train presentation roles or driver roles? How are you applying? Are you sending prospective CV's or applying via websites of job centre?

AndyN

I've been applying just for the Train presentation (Cleaner) Vacancies as I realise due to the competition for jobs in the Rail Industry now, that's a good starting point and I for one have no problem cleaning trains.

Since I applied for the Allerton job on nights last April 2014 and had a Interview with my first application and as mentioned I never did myself justice, I have since applied for around 10 Train Presentation Jobs in the North West and have been knocked back each time.

I am bemused as I was invited for a Interview on my first application and since then I have updated my skills, 2 months Train Presentation work for Northern Rail via a agency at Leeds, travelled and paid for at my own expense to get the experience on my CV. PTS passed but still unsuccessful applications. That's why I'm a little bemused. I know nobody as a divine right to any job but was thinking that would nail a Interview for me, than after that its up to me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I apply through the Northern Rail Website. I have also since my last application successfully completed courses in Health & Safety and Customer Services to add on my CV so I feel I'm meeting the criteria of what they are looking for.

JohnFM

The thing is, Andy, the CV or application is strong enough to get through to the interview. The hurdle that you're not getting through is obviously the interview itself.

There are two reasons that could be scuppering you;

There are better candidates
You fluffed the interview

You could be fully qualified, show that you're committed and eager and have everything that they are looking for, on paper, but if you fail to even show the basic understanding of the company, for example, you're not going to get the job.

It might be useful to ask for feedback on your interview from the last one you had, it might help to show where your weaknesses are.

AndyN

Hi John

Has I previously mentioned, I know exactly where I went wrong in the interview and know how to correct it..if given the chance. I was out of the working scene for 9 years as I became a Full Time Carer for my Gran. Years ago you just had to turn up smart for a interview, carry yourself well, show you were a hard worker and you had a good chance of a job. I admit because I was going for a "Train Cleaner" job I assumed that the Customer based questions wouldn't be asked as I was going for a Cleaning Job. I also never researched Northern Rail properly so the only thing I can think going against me in that interview Without coming across as expectant I nievly thought because I have done the job before and worked on the Rail Industry for 9 years I just had to show up smart, show I was a hard worker and the job was mine. I now realise that was the wrong approach

Now I know the work climate as totally changed and just want that opportunity to put it right. My CV as far as the Train Presentation Operative job goes is spot on so I can only conclude that that Interview is going against me.

MartinG

Andy - you come across as driven and commited to finding a role within the industry. I'd use that to sell yourself - include somewhere on your application that you weren't selected on interview previously and exactly how you have addressed any shortcomings. Emphasise that you are now ready to to be given another chance to show how your skills and mindset fit well into a role in Northern Rail.

AndyN

Id have to choose my words carefully Martin as it might come across as a bit cheeky if I say I never researched the Customer based questions as I didn't think they would ask as I was just going for a Cleaning role. I made a big mistake not researching the Company though and I hold my hands up to that. I will have to use the right words in my next application to explain this .

Status
Not open for further replies.