Anyone know of a full music creator for PC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heart-of-wessex, 3 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heart-of-wessex

heart-of-wessex Established Member

Hello all,

bit of a long shot, but someone might know!

I'm trying to find out if there's a program, payware or otherwise, that you can create music with, something like Ejay but more flexible.

I've used E-jay before, and I enjoyed it, easy to use and have a library of loops, but I wonder if there's one that had samples of each note of a piano, drum etc that you could string together to make a tune, does that make sense?

Programs like E-Jay, Music Master etc use looped samples that already have a tune within them.

I'd like to play around with one that had individual notes, then I could play about and make stuff. I can't play a keyboard/piano two handed because I have a co-ordination problem. I doubt I could play the drums as much as I love drums, even then I have no room for that at all. Would be nice to be able to have some digital assistance.

Is there such a program about?

Any help appreciated :)

James.

2. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

"Sibelius First" and "Sibelius" allow you to write music on the traditional stave with notes. I have the former, which is a cheaper version without all the bells and whistles of the full version, but I've found it quite adequate.

You can find these and a wide range of other programs at http://www.dv247.com which is the retail branch of dv musical village, a large supplier to education etc. I have used them as a satisfied customer - I don't have any other connection to them.

3. me123

me123 Established Member

I too have used Sibelius in the past, and highly recommend it for "traditional" music. It is pricy though ($599.95 at present!), but I know dodgy copies used to make their way around music students.

Sadly, the programs are generally pricy due to their relative complexity and relatively limited circulation. Even as a once reasonably ambitious musician, I could never justify purchasing one and relied on the tools I had on the school computers.

4. heart-of-wessex

heart-of-wessex Established Member

Bloody heck! Mind you the First version looks a lot cheaper. Thanks for the help on that though guys :)

One thing, I was looking at youtube vid's of some products on dv247 like EZPiano etc, can you use this standalone as I've noticed in all the video's I've seen it's plugged in to a keyboard or at least an instrument, I assume though it's not actually essential to require one?

5. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

Any midi sequencer will do what you want, there's a list of some here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MIDI_editors_and_sequencers

The program I use now (and have since 1999) is called Making Waves, which can sequence samples (.wav and .mp3) as well as midi and VST instruments, and includes a basic sample editor. It's not been updated for years though so might not have the features of newer programs. There's a free demo that has all the features but won't let you save anything. http://www.makingwavessoftware.com

6. BlythPower

BlythPower Member

Of the free software, Reaper will probably be the most fully functioned. You'll need some VST instruments (drum machines, synths, etc) to use in it. KVR is an excellent resource for computer-based music.

7. Clip

Clip Established Member

Take a look at fruity loops and Logic. Pricey but very very good music making programme.s

8. Tracked

Tracked Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.