• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone know what these mean ?

Nikki76

Found these on old railway sleepers I have in garden. Any clues as to were made how old etc ?

Attachments

• 5ADC0E64-F7B7-4485-BD82-8177EB2A8C4E.jpeg
    5ADC0E64-F7B7-4485-BD82-8177EB2A8C4E.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 409
  • E4DC1302-D88B-4957-B591-5DF85ADF1BE9.jpeg
    E4DC1302-D88B-4957-B591-5DF85ADF1BE9.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 401
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
We used to use similar markers to indicate cant. When concrete sleepers came along we started to use epoxy to stick the plates on.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
We used to use similar markers to indicate cant. When concrete sleepers came along we started to use epoxy to stick the plates on.
The OP is a new member and possibly not au fait with railway terminology. So for the avoidance of doubt, "cant" (or "superelevation" to be strictly accurate with modern use) is the lateral gradient of the track, i.e. the difference in height between the left hand rail and the right hand one. Or in layman's terms, "banking" (which itself has a very different meaning in railway circles).

Ediswan

Established Member
A friend bought similar sleepers. The eventual conclusion was that their markers were year and/or type of wood. It looks like they can have multiple meanings.

StoneRoad

Might also be chainage [distance] marks.

And to confuse the situation further, there might be different types ...

Nikki76

Thankyou for all your replies ! It seems there is not one answer then. I live just outside of Glasgow so I don’t know if scotrail tracks are different ?

The OP is a new member and possibly not au fait with railway terminology. So for the avoidance of doubt, "cant" (or "superelevation" to be strictly accurate with modern use) is the lateral gradient of the track, i.e. the difference in height between the left hand rail and the right hand one. Or in layman's terms, "banking" (which itself has a very different meaning in railway circles).
Thankyou yes I’m not very good with the terminology! My Dad was a train driver all his life. He worked from Glasgow Central. I know some driver terminology but not rail tracks and maintenance etc!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Conveniently, using standard gauge and imperial units, the angle and height of superelevation have almost the same numerical value.

The height is (gauge x sin (angle)).

An angle expressed in radians is approx equal to the sine of that angle, for small angles.

One radian is 57.3 degrees
The gauge is 56.5 inches

So a cant of k inches implies an angle of arcsin k/56.5 radians = k x 57.3/56.5 = 1.01k degrees

Boodiggy

I think they are chainage markers.
Cant would usually be in multiples of five…

Nikki76

Thankyou, can I ask when concrete sleepers came in ?

I think they are chainage markers.
Cant would usually be in multiples of five…
Chainage as in just every sleeper had a number or did it mean something else ?

Is there anyway of knowing what age these sleepers could be ?

Boodiggy

Thankyou, can I ask when concrete sleepers came in ?

Chainage as in just every sleeper had a number or did it mean something else ?

Is there anyway of knowing what age these sleepers could be ?
Chainage as in every chain will be 22 yards. 80 per mile.

Not easy to tell the age of wood sleepers!

John Webb

Established Member
Thankyou, can I ask when concrete sleepers came in ?......
The Building Research Establishment (BRE) at Garston, N. of Watford, Herts, was asked in WW2 to look at concrete sleepers as an urgently needed substitute for hard to get timber. In 1942 they made measurements of the forces acting on sleepers on a main line railway. This led to the development of concrete sleepers and BRE was also involved in the early post-WW2 period in further developments in this area.
But I don't know when they were first used in large quantities on the UK network.

Nikki76

The timber has started to split at the end.The binding is used to prevent the end of the sleeper from splitting further. A short term (but not ideal) fix.
Thankyou so this would not have been done by the railway maintenance then? So by the sellers of the sleepers perhaps ?

John Webb

Established Member
Thankyou so this would not have been done by the railway maintenance then? So by the sellers of the sleepers perhaps ?
It would have been done in-stitu by the railway maintenance crew, as this splitting is due to aging, exposure to weather and the physical disturbance of the sleeper on the ballast by passing trains.

Nikki76

It would have been done in-stitu by the railway maintenance crew, as this splitting is due to aging, exposure to weather and the physical disturbance of the sleeper on the ballast by passing trains.
Thankyou very much

It would only be a short term repair (depending on line speed) as eventually the chair fastenings could work loose.
Thankyou very much