• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apple Mac train games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffer68

Hi all,
I wonder if you could suggest some train games I can play on my Apple Mac without having to install Windows. I have searched for Mac native games and sims but so far to no avail. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EWS 58038

Hi all,
I wonder if you could suggest some train games I can play on my Apple Mac without having to install Windows. I have searched for Mac native games and sims but so far to no avail. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

I use a Mac aswell and I can tell you this. Get parellels desktop, and Install windows XP in it. Same goes for SimSig. And you'l find out that MSTS works way better* on a iMac then on a PC.

* Via Bootcamp

asylumxl

Established Member
I use a Mac aswell and I can tell you this. Get parellels desktop, and Install windows XP in it. Same goes for SimSig. And you'l find out that MSTS works way better* on a iMac then on a PC.

* Via Bootcamp

Modern Macs run on Intel processors with the same architecture as PCs, hence you can run Windows and Linux. How an iMac runs MSTS better than a "PC" is a mystery to me. PC is a very vague term. It's all dependent on hardware.

Buffer68

Modern Macs run on Intel processors with the same architecture as PCs, hence you can run Windows and Linux. How an iMac runs MSTS better than a "PC" is a mystery to me. PC is a very vague term. It's all dependent on hardware.

I have a Mac Pro which has an Intel processor. As it runs Bootcamp, I have now installed a copy of Windows XP Home all ready for some sims. I bought Railroad Tycoon 3 the other day but I can't get it to run yet. However my darling wife came home from work (PC World) tonight with Trainz 2006 - bless her she really does love me!! I have it up and running and am pleased. Lots of reading up to do now. Let the fun begin.

Reddog785

I have a Mac Pro which has an Intel processor. As it runs Bootcamp, I have now installed a copy of Windows XP Home all ready for some sims. I bought Railroad Tycoon 3 the other day but I can't get it to run yet. However my darling wife came home from work (PC World) tonight with Trainz 2006 - bless her she really does love me!! I have it up and running and am pleased. Lots of reading up to do now. Let the fun begin.

I went a little bit CrAzY when I saw your wife got you a copy of TRS2006.
I really want it yet nowhere stocks it! I also can't find where to order it online. I tried two stores:
GAME:
1.Trainz Railway Simulator (2008)
2.Trainz Railway Simulator 2004 Passenger Edition (2004)
gamestation:
1.A Train 2 (2002)
2.A Train 2008 (2008)

How an iMac runs MSTS better than a "PC" is a mystery to me.

because Mac zealots are under the dillusioned impression that their Macs are better than any PC around despite the fact that they often use hardware that is a year or more out of date and are geared towards workstation tasks not gaming.

I always love it when people say Macs run Windows better than PCs, too. Do Macs even have core i7's yet? I didn't think so.

Don't get me wrong I think Macs are great and if only I had enough for a Macbook, but they really aren't the best thing since sliced bread...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's all dependent on hardware.

Well, that isn't *entirely* true. How the operating system and software uses that hardware is a big part of it. Some Macs do better with certain graphics cards that might not fare so well in a Windows environment, because they rely on OpenGL instead of DirectX.

Last edited:

EWS 58038

Hi all,

Okay, hold your breath... You never guess what train/rail related software runs perfectly on a Mac.... SimSig.

Yes it is windows based and yes you need something to get it working. But you won't need windows. You have to buy a €35 copy of Crossover for Mac. I use it aswell and it works perfectly, including network/internet gaming. Note that for rhe scrolly sims you need to install the old Swindon sim to get the Simsig font on your Mac.

Hope this helps.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
because Mac zealots are under the dillusioned impression that their Macs are better than any PC around despite the fact that they often use hardware that is a year or more out of date and are geared towards workstation tasks not gaming.

but they are... lol joking, I like my macbook very much, in fact I rarely use my PC because it's so damn s**t, might be to do with crappy sata cables that though haha.
I wouldn't say a mac runs windows better, in fact it takes a fair while to boot over a pc, once it's running it's about the same as any pc.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'm thinking of buying a Mac (for work obviously!), so this thread has been very helpful. Is it easy getting things like SimSig running on them?

Andy

I always love it when people say Macs run Windows better than PCs, too. Do Macs even have core i7's yet? I didn't think so.

Don't get me wrong I think Macs are great and if only I had enough for a Macbook, but they really aren't the best thing since sliced bread...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well, that isn't *entirely* true. How the operating system and software uses that hardware is a big part of it. Some Macs do better with certain graphics cards that might not fare so well in a Windows environment, because they rely on OpenGL instead of DirectX.

That where you are wrong, and i think before saying things like that you should do some research. A Mac is far more stable than anything that we would normally refer to as a normal PC. This is because there is nothing 3rd party in them, that hasn't been fully tested by themselves first.

Also it is more safe to run windows on the mac, as most the visualization software has snapshot features. Also most have the ability to secure viruses better, as they can take them, fully out of the windows environment to clear them.

Also DirectX is used in the visualizations, well the ones that i use anyway, as Ive been able to play very graphic intense games that require directX.

Regarding the i7, at the point of you posting no they had no machines out, but apple had announced that they were going to introduce them, earlier on in the year.

So, by the sound of it, you are one of these people that are a windows lover, and as soon as anyone mentions using a mac, you just try and argue that the generic PC is better.

Well a PC maybe better, but you are always let down by one thing....the operating system.

Now back to topic, i originally used bootcamp to run BVE and simsig, but then i migrated to VMware fusion, and i would recommend it to anyone. Also MSTS, i fine runs better, because of the environment. Its the operation system that causes all the problem with the PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.