• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Application Succesful subject to Medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernboy67

I have just received good news, that I have been successful in my interview for Train Conductor. I now need to have my interview which is next week.I hope I pass that stage, but I'm hopeful. What happens in a Medical for this post?

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Medical is quite simple. Just a chat with a nurse. Height/Weight/eyesight/hearing and a urine test. Make sure you declare all of your medical history as they will check!
Other than that good luck.

candidate101

Congratulations!!

I recently had a medical for a Train Conductor role with another TOC. It was quite full on in all fairness, but the bloke who took me through it was great.

Here is a breakdown of what they do.

You fill in a form declaring all your medical history, present any medication you are currently taking.
Urine sample is taken - test for substances / sugar etc.
Then I had to do a breathalyzer
Next step was weight / height ratio - BMI
Then onto the eye test - which was quite simple. Read the lowest line possible with one eye covered at a time. If you wear glasses you can take them in and do the test with and without.
Then there is a hearing test where you are in a sound proof booth and you have to click every time you hear a beep. Both ears are tested separately.
Then they tested my 'flexibility' I suppose. This included, touching toes, squatting down etc.
Then finally they tested how my lungs functioned. This was done on a peak flow type machine, where you give a few deep blows into the machine and it calculates how much oxygen is in your lungs, and even gives you a breakdown of your lung age1, which for an asthmatic who doesn't smoke, was an worrying eye opener.

You know as you go along if you meet the standard for each test. I continually chatted away with the bloke doing the test and he told me what I needed to do on each test and if I passed or not. So you know when you leave what the outcome is.

If you are generally healthy, it shouldn't be a problem!!

Hope this helps....

Best of luch

Northernboy67

Thank you for all your responses. I have spoken to a couple of conductor friends on my TOC, and they have told me I should have nothing to worry about. I did my interview for Train Driver yesterday. I was completely honest with them, and I was commended for being straight with them. I think it went well, but I may know what to expect in the future if I am not successful with this application. I have been trying to get on the Railway since 1983, after I left school, so all I will say is. Don't give up hope and that it is never too late.

Northernboy67

Well I had my medical yesterday. Everything went well. The nurse told me I was passed as fit for duty. I am just waiting on the results of the urine sample, which I know will be fine, as I have not drunk any alcohol in the last 3 weeks, nor taken any medicine including over the counter ones. So I should hear at the end of the week. I have already written my resignation letter in readiness. I have been told to expect to start in the first week of November.

Status
Not open for further replies.