• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for more than one TOC while waiting for DMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDCC6

Hi everyone. I don’t think there’s a thread on this already. As title suggests, I’d passed all stage 1 and 2 tests including MMI, and whilst awaiting the final stage 3 DMI, COVID came along and halted everything :( Subsequently recruitment for my chosen depot was cancelled indefinitely, I was offered to move my application to another depot 2 months ago (accepted), and told the DMI will go ahead on Zoom, if successful will be placed into the talent pool as normal. Things are still the same and no sign of the DMI... I can wait, however I was wondering if it’s permitted to apply for other trainee driver roles, and use the completed OPC psychometric tests as valid. Can you even be in a ‘process’ with 2 x TOCs concurrently? I feel I may be in a grey area with where I’m at, ‘in between stages’ if you will... also wondering if my sniffing around other TOCs will be detrimental and show a lack of loyalty in general which the interviewers may not like (if they found out)... if anyone can shed any light it would be amazing. Becoming a driver is gruelling and time-consuming enough, COVID has made it ridiculous! Still chasing the dream though... many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi everyone. I don’t think there’s a thread on this already. As title suggests, I’d passed all stage 1 and 2 tests including MMI, and whilst awaiting the final stage 3 DMI, COVID came along and halted everything :( Subsequently recruitment for my chosen depot was cancelled indefinitely, I was offered to move my application to another depot 2 months ago (accepted), and told the DMI will go ahead on Zoom, if successful will be placed into the talent pool as normal. Things are still the same and no sign of the DMI... I can wait, however I was wondering if it’s permitted to apply for other trainee driver roles, and use the completed OPC psychometric tests as valid. Can you even be in a ‘process’ with 2 x TOCs concurrently? I feel I may be in a grey area with where I’m at, ‘in between stages’ if you will... also wondering if my sniffing around other TOCs will be detrimental and show a lack of loyalty in general which the interviewers may not like (if they found out)... if anyone can shed any light it would be amazing. Becoming a driver is gruelling and time-consuming enough, COVID has made it ridiculous! Still chasing the dream though... many thanks
You can apply for as many or as few trainee jobs as you like (as long as they’re not within the same TOC). The only thing you can’t do is retake psychometric assessments within six months of each other, but that doesn’t apply to you. Knock yourself out.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes you can and many individuals have done so before. It's just like applying for multiple jobs at multiple companies anywhere else. If you're in Cornwall I guess this is GWR/XC? They're not even the same owning group so HR won't know (not that they would even if they were the same owning group). As you've passed the OPC assessments, you'll be fine.

Mattydo

I think I had about 6 or 7 applications in at the same time. I’m still in the talent pool for some despite having a start date at another one as with the way things are I didn’t want to give up my position until I had a contract and uniform in hand. I think the trainee driver positions will always be oversubscribed so it’s probably a sound approach to not have all your eggs in one basket.

(I will be retracting my applications once I’ve started though).

DDCC6

Thanks to everyone for the help, what you’ve said makes complete sense! I guess I have to do the online initial assessments each time or whatever it is they stipulate, but I assume TOCs will get my pass results from OPC when they need and I’ll see where I end up in the process once roles come up. I just wasn’t sure if id completed the ‘tests’ but I’m quite sure the parameters are S1, S2 and the MMI (leaving the DMI as the in-house final stage).. One thing I’ll always want to know is my scores, but I guess everyone feels the same on that thanks again all

Status
Not open for further replies.