• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying vinyl coverings to carriages instead of painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB

This subject seems to pop into discussions quite regularly, but never with any detail.
I am interested to know which companies can offer full carriage design work for applying as vinyl, and who usually applies this for ROSCOs/TOCs. Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that can do/does this?
Would you also usually get the company producing the vinyls to come on site and fit them?

I am actively considering applying a full vinyl covering to a MK1 rather than an expensive and complex repaint, but no spoilers as to the carriage or the design...

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I am actively considering applying a full vinyl covering to a MK1 rather than an expensive and complex repaint, but no spoilers as to the carriage or the design...
Given the risk of rust being caught under the vinyl covering, it may not always be a good idea to use vinyls on a steel plated Mark 1 for too long, particularly if there is a chance of water ingress.

I would assume that a professional application of vinyls tries to ensure no moisture is captured under the vinyl but water often finds its way through.

The London Transport Museum 4-TC was, I think, vinyled for a period to give the appearance of Teak, but is currently painted red.
Metropolitan_Railway_Trailer_Control_Unit_76324_b.jpg

On Moderation
Given the risk of rust being caught under the vinyl covering, it may not always be a good idea to use vinyls on a steel plated Mark 1 for too long, particularly if there is a chance of water ingress.

I would assume that a professional application of vinyls tries to ensure no moisture is captured under the vinyl but water often finds its way through.
If vinyl is used, it should be applied over a properly prepared bodyshell. Doing otherwise is a quick route to major and costly work later. Paint may seem more expensive, but it’s primary purpose is protecting the bodyshell.

physics34

Established Member

The London Transport Museum 4-TC was, I think, vinyled for a period to give the appearance of Teak, but is currently painted red.
Yeh was going to say, paint is protecting the bodywork on a mark 1.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Don't recall seeing that before, but it jumps straight into my top ten of hideous liveries!

fgwrich

Established Member

Yeh was going to say, paint is protecting the bodywork on a mark 1.
It was indeed teak effect vinyl, applied by Aura at Eastleigh Works.

On the subject of paint protecting the bodywork, you always at least want to ensure you have a rust or corrosion protecting barrier (undercoat) applied first. I saw a Mk3 the other day which visibly didn’t, and will probably end up requiring a fix sooner or later.

Attachments

• 47A088D9-CBBD-4DAC-9348-7E49C506D5F4.jpeg
    47A088D9-CBBD-4DAC-9348-7E49C506D5F4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88

BigB

On the subject of paint protecting the bodywork, you always at least want to ensure you have a rust or corrosion protecting barrier (undercoat) applied first. I saw a Mk3 the other day which visibly didn’t, and will probably end up requiring a fix sooner or later.
Thanks for the replies, the paint is new and very good condition, but I want it to look different for a couple of years before the coach we need is ready. It's not as a replacement for decent paintwork as that never works ;)

physics34

Established Member

Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.