• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Train Driver - Crosscountry - Multiple Locations (09/02/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickleTree

Can anyone explain the start dates and booking annual leave please? May the 17th course, starts 2nd august for one week and 2 weeks in October? Will these courses be familiarisations and introductions?
I think they want to be clear that depending on the course you were on either may or June that you had to take holiday on those specified weeks to minimise disruption to the course and ultimately your learning. That was the way I read it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheAnswer89

Can anyone explain the start dates and booking annual leave please? May the 17th course, starts 2nd august for one week and 2 weeks in October? Will these courses be familiarisations and introductions?
When you get the job your annual leave will be allocated by company and you cannot take any holiday during training except that one specified. For course starting on May 17th you will have holiday allocated on 2nd of August 1 week and 2 weeks in October.

Obkernow

I think they want to be clear that depending on the course you were on either may or June that you had to take holiday on those specified weeks to minimise disruption to the course and ultimately your learning. That was the way I read it.
Thank you! Makes sense now :)

When you get the job your annual leave will be allocated by company and you cannot take any holiday during training except that one specified. For course starting on May 17th you will have holiday allocated on 2nd of August 1 week and 2 weeks in October.
Thank you so much! :)

Stigy

Established Member
Can you upload more than one document or do they want it cover letter/CV in one?
To add, if they only allow room for one upload and they specifically ask for a CV, I’d upload this in preference to a cover letter. I was just under the impression they either didn’t specify, or allowed several uploads.

How much annual leave do you get a year with them? (outside of training)

Zerothebrake!

They are individual days to use as you wish - although you need to keep two back for Xmas/Boxing days so it's actually nine, then you'd get the other two back if you were rostered a Rest Day (or had Xmas week off) otherwise you can carry them over into the next year.

theironroad

Established Member
Hi,

I’ve heard the term floating days a few times. What are they? Are they like days you can can book off where you don’t need a whole week? (Eg weddings)

Cheers
TT

Yes, just that, except they are not guaranteed as the depot will only allow so many to be on leave each day so that they have some drivers available

Always good to book early if you know in advance you'll need a certain day.

Is it not in the sticky for driver depots, traction and routes?

Yes it is.

FastTrax

i have applied but it did not ask any questions like other trainee jobs i applied before. e.g. tell me about a time etc. is it same for u all? in case i missed something. thanks in advance
(also no notification email after application. but on their site when i go to the job advert it says i have applied for this role already)

route101

Established Member
i have applied but it did not ask any questions like other trainee jobs i applied before. e.g. tell me about a time etc. is it same for u all? in case i missed something. thanks in advance
(also no notification email after application. but on their site when i go to the job advert it says i have applied for this role already)

Yes, I was surprised not to have them questions. I guess having a cover letter helps with that. I never got email notification either.

Lumpa6259

Yeah the same for me. I thought it was an error at first. I do wonder how they are going to score candidates though. I am presuming they will just base it on career history as there’s only so much info you can put in a cover letter.

YingYing

I do think arriva group tend to give you an open canvas to show your skills in your cover letter. That's been my experience when applying to other companies within the DB careers site.

3436mill

I have applied but I forgot to attach the cover letter is there a way to add it or do I have to cancel the application and redo it??

Raikkonen7

It says in the job description:

We will ensure all applicants will receive acknowledgement of their application initially and will have feedback on their application.

Not sure if there’s been a system error if so many haven’t received acknowledgment.

xabi83

We will ensure all applicants will receive acknowledgement of their application initially and will have feedback on their application.

Not sure if there’s been a system error if so many haven’t received acknowledgment.
I think if you log on to the portal it’ll say application received

PickleTree

I have applied but I forgot to attach the cover letter is there a way to add it or do I have to cancel the application and redo it??
You can upload another document under the 'other' section of document uploads and do it there. I am sure that will be fine.

Jaxscc

Hi Folks,
Bit new to all this so please excuse me if I ask something that's already been covered on this thread.

Am I right in saying the full application process is:
1) Application
2) 2 online tests
3) DMI
4) OPC Assessment day
5) MMI

Also
Does anyone know what these 2 online tests are?

And am I right in saying that OPC do not do the dot Bourdon test on the assessment day and that their version is with letters or shapes and is called the SCAAT test?

Where's the best place to get practice material for all the tests?

Thank you

YingYing

Hi Folks,
Bit new to all this so please excuse me if I ask something that's already been covered on this thread.

Am I right in saying the full application process is:
1) Application
2) 2 online tests
3) DMI
4) OPC Assessment day
5) MMI

Also
Does anyone know what these 2 online tests are?

And am I right in saying that OPC do not do the dot Bourdon test on the assessment day and that their version is with letters or shapes and is called the SCAAT test?

Where's the best place to get practice material for all the tests?

Thank you
Hi Jaxscc, check out the sticky threads at the top of the jobs page. Most of your questions are answered in those, but off the top of head, the dot group bourdon test is exactly as it is stated; groups of dots. Also to note, depending on the company, the OPC assessments can run over several dates. For example I sat my stage 1 assessment only on one day and then the other part on a different date. MMI is also part of the OPC assessments, and can happen on the same date as the other tests, again company-dependant.

Jaxscc

Hi Jaxscc, check out the sticky threads at the top of the jobs page. Most of your questions are answered in those, but off the top of head, the dot group bourdon test is exactly as it is stated; groups of dots. Also to note, depending on the company, the OPC assessments can run over several dates. For example I sat my stage 1 assessment only on one day and then the other part on a different date. MMI is also part of the OPC assessments, and can happen on the same date as the other tests, again company-dependant.
Thank you... I have so much to read through ... I like to know what is expected

YingYing

Thank you... I have so much to read through ... I like to know what is expected
I know there's a lot to read, but it all really helps. There's a wealth of info on here and it definitely calmed my nerves on the day when I did my stage 1s knowing what to expect. The fact you're on here is a good start. The group bourdon thread seems to cover most of the other tests as well. Personally the MMI is the one I'm dreading! :lol:

It seems no one has heard anything, I would imagine this might happen after the closing date

Davidh1998

It seems no one has heard anything, I would imagine this might happen after the closing date
I assume it means that you'll receive acknowledgement whether you move onto the next stage of the recruitment process or not once they've done the sift. But it does say application received on the DB website

Lalzo

Did anyone get any emails for completing the application?

Seems difficult to know especially when there is no contact details for XC recuitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.