• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Train Driver - Crosscountry - Multiple Locations (09/02/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

Hi all, I'm applying for this position. I've uploaded my CV and on the next bit there's a section to upload references. What exactly is supposed to be put there. Contact information for the references or something that the references have already written?
I didn't see the references section when I went through it? I suppose I could upload a separate document with my references on there.

Has anyone got a telephone number for their recruitment team?
I cheekily called the complaints team yesterday as they were the only ones to answer the phone and I was told that the HR team are all working from home so are not answering the phone. They told me they would get somebody to call me back and fair play to them they did!

FastTrax

thanks for the thread. is there a difference between trainee and apprentice title? i think not but just in case i am wrong. i know companies get some financial help when they hire apprentice but will there be any condition like u have to server the company for x amount of year in return for teh apprenticeship? thanks in advance

SJN

thanks for the thread. is there a difference between trainee and apprentice title? i think not but just in case i am wrong. i know companies get some financial help when they hire apprentice but will there be any condition like u have to server the company for x amount of year in return for teh apprenticeship? thanks in advance
It’s the same course with some Apprenticeship stuff included in it. Don’t know about any changes to employment but they would want you to stay for a while anyway after spending all that money training you.

ILoveLamp

Not being aggressive at all. Your post suggested the salary was low in some way which I found a bit strange abs didn’t know which amount you were looking at. Each company has different salaries. Some more and some less. Salary is not everything. If you’re not happy with what’s on offer then there are other companies you can apply to. £5 or £6k may seem like a lot but there are also terms and conditions to consider which affect daily working life.
Go back and have a read of what post I responded to. The original post quoted that on Glassdoor this was the highest salary, I simply stated that there were a few others that paid more. I never once said that Crosscountry salary was poor, and I certainly don’t think so, so please stop making out that I have said something I haven’t. Honestly, people like you make out a simple post to highlight a fact into a personal issue. I repeat, I never said that the job in question has in any way a poor salary, quite the opposite, but for those that were looking for the top salary (and not necessarily the best t&c’s apparently) then there are some higher payers out there. Now if you want to go ahead and make out that if said something else in this statement then send me a PM before you keep misquoting my post. :rolleyes:

TrainTracks

Hey guys,

General question - when you have to go elsewhere to do a course (ie 3 weeks in Derby), is accommodation provided?

Cheers
TT

Bluenosemase

Hey guys,

General question - when you have to go elsewhere to do a course (ie 3 weeks in Derby), is accommodation provided?

Cheers
TT
Yes, they’ll put you up in a nearby hotel which will be covered by the company. You should get a meal allowance as well so pretty much everything is covered.

Out of interest, how old is everyone here who is thinking of applying if you don’t mind me asking?

At 33, is it too late for me to realistically make the career change?
Hi mate,
I’ve had a job offer from an FOC for a trainee driver role. I’m 51! As long as you’re under 60 you can switch.

Numbnuts846

Go back and have a read of what post I responded to. The original post quoted that on Glassdoor this was the highest salary, I simply stated that there were a few others that paid more. I never once said that Crosscountry salary was poor, and I certainly don’t think so, so please stop making out that I have said something I haven’t. Honestly, people like you make out a simple post to highlight a fact into a personal issue. I repeat, I never said that the job in question has in any way a poor salary, quite the opposite, but for those that were looking for the top salary (and not necessarily the best t&c’s apparently) then there are some higher payers out there. Now if you want to go ahead and make out that if said something else in this statement then send me a PM before you keep misquoting my post. :rolleyes:
The salary eventually would be around £61k but that’s only after all routes and traction is signed and steps up in increments to that , it may be a couple of years before you fully hit that mark as newly qualified drivers are normally limited in routes covered . I know last year when I had an interview for Bournemouth that the starter link that was being created went as far as reading and had more lates and nights than it did early turns

SJN

My reply to you was never meant to be aggressive. I asked which salary you were looking at. When I looked on the aslef site for the other companies you mentioned, I could see instantly why they have a higher salary & it’s because of a big difference in the T&C’s. Nothing was meant to be personal so I don’t know what you mean by ‘people like me’. I asked a question, that’s all. Also I haven’t misquoted you, I stated what I thought the post implied and how it came across to me.

Would I be right in thinking that they’ll only consider people who have already passed all the assessments? I can’t believe that candidates will have time to pass all the tests in time to start in May/June?!

michael74

Would I be right in thinking that they’ll only consider people who have already passed all the assessments? I can’t believe that candidates will have time to pass all the tests in time to start in May/June?!
Not as I interpret the advert.... "The recruitment process will involve several factors, including a review of your written application, some rules and safety tests, an assessment centre and a safety critical medical."

D Rivers

They advertised last year at this time. My interview was 13/3/20. Tests were booked for the following week but then lockdown happened. It’s doable in the time frame.

D.27

Going to ask a stupid question here, sorry in advance.

The advert states

'Apprentice Train Driver Positions at 'Birmingham, Bournemouth, Edinburgh, Manchester and Plymouth Depots'

However at the side it states 'Location: Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom'

Does this mean only Manchester applications are available or do they just need to tie the location to one areas and accept applications for all before mentioned depots?

michael74

Going to ask a stupid question here, sorry in advance.

The advert states

'Apprentice Train Driver Positions at 'Birmingham, Bournemouth, Edinburgh, Manchester and Plymouth Depots'

However at the side it states 'Location: Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom'

Does this mean only Manchester applications are available or do they just need to tie the location to one areas and accept applications for all before mentioned depots?
Answered upthread @#31. Yes, they will be allocated at a later date.

LCC106

Established Member
From application to start date including all tests and interviews for me with a different TOC was I think less than 3 months and application to medical was about two months so perfectly possible.

beeman05

Applied there. Took about 15mins and was a CV and some questions about me and my rights to work in the UK etc.

No email confirmation either.

Good luck to everyone who applied!

PickleTree

From application to start date including all tests and interviews for me with a different TOC was I think less than 3 months and application to medical was about two months so perfectly possible.
I agree it is perfectly possible, I did put on my application that I have in date enhanced test passes including the MMI though in case that makes any difference to them. Who knows!

beeman05

I agree it is perfectly possible, I did put on my application that I have in date enhanced test passes including the MMI though in case that makes any difference to them. Who knows!

I applied to a trainee driver role with Transpennine and sat their first stage in Jan 2020. I believe I passed all the tests that day to national standard but not to enhanced standard which was what they were looking for. Am i right in saying this stays on file for 3 years?

I didn't notice anywhere I could mention this on my application. I guess if they get in touch wanting to discuss things further it can be mentioned then.

Stigy

Established Member
I applied to a trainee driver role with Transpennine and sat their first stage in Jan 2020. I believe I passed all the tests that day to national standard but not to enhanced standard which was what they were looking for. Am i right in saying this stays on file for 3 years?

I didn't notice anywhere I could mention this on my application. I guess if they get in touch wanting to discuss things further it can be mentioned then.
It varies between TOC/FOC as to how long they will accept assessment results for. Most are 3 or 5 years (the maximum is 5), but it can be lower.

Glawsrfc

had a DMI on Tuesday for WMT for which I was unsuccessful...have to wait 6 months now.passed all the OPC enhanced tests plus MMI
Assume it’s Birmingham new street you’d be working from??
I live in cheltenham and it’s just over an hour to new street on a normal day.
Going to apply.

SJN

had a DMI on Tuesday for WMT for which I was unsuccessful...have to wait 6 months now.passed all the OPC enhanced tests plus MMI
Assume it’s Birmingham new street you’d be working from??
I live in cheltenham and it’s just over an hour to new street on a normal day.
Going to apply.
Hi. Yes the depot is Birmingham New Street. Good luck.

Does anyone know what happens after the apprenticeship? Presumably it's over a set period of time, like do you go in to a qualified full time role or just get dropped and have to reapply?

Bluenosemase

Does anyone know what happens after the apprenticeship? Presumably it's over a set period of time, like do you go in to a qualified full time role or just get dropped and have to reapply?
Once you’re in you’re in mate, you don’t need to apply again. They only call it an apprenticeship because they get it part funded by the government.

ATP

Yes, they’ll put you up in a nearby hotel which will be covered by the company. You should get a meal allowance as well so pretty much everything is covered.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but if you live close enough, do you have to take up the hotel or can you commute from home?

Status
Not open for further replies.