• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

April Fools perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
Isn't it sad how hard it is to tell an April Fool's article in the Daily Mail from a real one?

thefab444

Established Member
The pro-Tory bias in that article is rather sickening, and to be honest, were the English Channel renamed, would it only be me who wouldn't care less?

I really don't understand some of the comments on the Daily Mail website either, they seem to suggest that France and Germany are still "the enemy" (despite virtually all the recent military action against the UK being from outside Europe). It really is time to forget "the war" and get on with life as part of Europe; what relevance does a 70 year old conflict have in today's world? Hopefully when the last people who fought in it pass away (to a better place, treated as heroes etc. etc.), we'll be able to move on.

devon_metro

Established Member
I really don't understand some of the comments on the Daily Mail website either, they seem to suggest that France and Germany are still "the enemy" (despite virtually all the recent military action against the UK being from outside Europe). It really is time to forget "the war"

No ;)

thefab444

Established Member
So it is impossible to accept that Germany might, just might, have changed from the days of Herr Hitler?

I can understand a lot of political arguments from people on the right, some of them even make sense, but I will never understand blatant anti-Europeanism purely based on the fact we won a war decades ago. We may have won the war, but who's better placed now? ;)

thefab444

Established Member
So France and Germany don't have any national identity, because they use the Euro and are more integrated with Europe? Okay...

mickey

Hopefully when the last people who fought in it pass away (to a better place, treated as heroes etc. etc.), we'll be able to move on.

More likely to be when the last people to remember living through it move on - they're the most vocal whingers. I agree entirely with your sentiment though.

devon_metro

Established Member
So it is impossible to accept that Germany might, just might, have changed from the days of Herr Hitler?

I can understand a lot of political arguments from people on the right, some of them even make sense, but I will never understand blatant anti-Europeanism purely based on the fact we won a war decades ago. We may have won the war, but who's better placed now? ;)

I never said they hadn't changed. I'm sure Germany is a lovely and boring country, however we aren't just going to forgot how we beat them in the war.

Call it "country banter" if you must ;)

thefab444

Established Member

Indeed, that's fine.

What I don't understand is allowing this "country banter" to define politics, our role in Europe and our general relations with the countries across the channel.

Anyway, I'd like to think the comments on the Daily Mail website do not reflect the average British person! More the stereotype of the isolationist Britain idealogy, which is prevalent in the older generation.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
It wasn't reported anywhere other then the Mail, NOTW and Express.

Can't see the French buying it either - it's La Manche to them...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I never said they hadn't changed. I'm sure Germany is a lovely and boring country, however we aren't just going to forgot how we beat them in the war.

I wouldn't say boring either - had a very enjoyable holiday over there a couple of years ago :)

Remember that people still go on about England -v- Germany in the football - "must rub the Germans noses in about 1966" - the Germans probably don't remember who won in 1966 - They are far more interested in their rivalry with the Dutch!

Oh and remember the Eurosausage story that crops up every so often
Back in the 1980s, the European Commission hatched a plan to re-name the British sausage an "emulsified high-fat offal tube". A government minister successfully repelled the threat and became prime minister thanks to a wave of support for the Great British Banger. His name was Jim Hacker ;)

littleroe

You couldn't change the name. Its English, lets keep something English. I'm sick and tired of being controlled by Europe, the EU says this the EU says that, most things now are affected by the EU. I accept the EU is vital for trade though. Let France/germany/europe pay for the name change but don't expect the people of our 'once' powerful nation to call it anything else but the English Channel...

thefab444

Established Member
What is England anyway? It doesn't have a Government...

Besides, I'm pretty sure that story is entirely fake anyway; the vast majority of stories about the EU "forcing itself" upon member states are pretty much fictional.

littleroe

England doesn't have a government but its got the people.... I'm sure we all have many strong reasons why we live here. We might not stand for the government but we will for the flag!

I agree though, what is England. Once a mighty world leader now just an average country.

I meet loads of legislation's and regulations in my job everyday day that has been discussed or changed by the member of the EU government. Some of the regulations are for the good, others well lets just not talk about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.