• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

? -> 'APT - The untold story' still anywhere available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 89

Hello all together!

I hope, that I am here in the right surrounding about seeking advises for railway publications especially books. Since couple of time, I am very interested in the APT-project, which was permanently terminated in the mid-1980s. As I've seen, the at least for railway books not any more in business beeing company Ian Allan published a book abouth the APT called 'APT - The untold story'. Even this book was brought to market in 2016, it's nearly impossible to find a copy at any online bookstore. Further on the only copy I was able to find in the internet was offered as a former library book for 99 GBP. Is there any chance, to find a vendor, who sells this book without price expectations far beyond common sense? As I am not a resident of the UK, I have to add to the total calculation p&p and import VAT, which would also plays an important role.

Thanks a lot in advance for any assistance.

Regards
class 89, Germany

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seems to be rather difficult to acquire. Can also only find the one copy currently available online, at the rather steep £99 asking price and, as you say, even that copy is ex-Library. Maybe a copy will appear on the likes of Ebay in due course. Good luck with your search!

APT.jpg

swanhill41

Four names for you to try in UK..Robt Humm..Martin Bott..Nigel Bird...Nick Tozer..You will need to e-mail them as all 4 don't list all books in stock.
They all have contact details on their websites...

Mollington St

Hi have just purchased a Railway Book Collection over 400 titles all from the era and i think there is a copy in the collection.
As i am not a book dealer be happy to let you have it for £35 plus postage
You will have to please wait until Thursday / Friday when i will have unboxed the collection and can confirm for you

Mollington St

As promised i have completed the sorting of all 400 Titles
The two APT Publications are
APT - A Promise Unfulfilled - Hugh Williams - Ian Allan - Hardbacked - ISBN 0-7110-1474-4 - Near Mint Copy
Advanced Passenger Train - Avon Anglia - Softbacked - ISBN 0 905466 37 3 - 1981 - Near Mint Copy

I do expect to have further APT Books in the future as i have another visit or two to collect another 400 titles all of the same era

Hope that might be of some help to you

Attachments

• Scan_20220907 (4).png
    Scan_20220907 (4).png
    270.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Scan_20220907 (5).png
    Scan_20220907 (5).png
    288 KB · Views: 12

Mollington St

Good Morning , i have only just seen your question so sorry for the couple of days delay
The APT A Promise Unfulfilled has been sold but the APT soft backed i still have at Transport Past Times on my Web site

I’ve just noticed on eBay there’s a copy of ‘Advanced Passenger Train, the official illustrated account of British Rail’s revolutionary new 155mph train’. The starting bid is £45 which sounds a bit steep but someone out there might really want it. It is listed as an official BR publication from 1981.

class 89

Hello altogether,

thanks a lot for your replies and informations. I've just found the desired 'APT - the untold story' for an acceptable price. So, the hunt is over ... ;)

Regards
class 89 aka Uri, Germany

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@class 89. Good to hear. How much did you have to pay, by the way?

Someone currently asking for £52 + postage for a "good" copy on Ebay.

class 89

I got it used, but in very good condition from a colleague and I paid him 40 EUR (about 35 GBP). I think, that was a good deal including no shipping, VAT trouble and customs clearance since Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.