• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Archive footage of Woodhead Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Excellent new video uploaded:

That popped up in my YouTube feed yesterday and I was almost going to skip it because I assumed it'd be footage of random train movements without any commentary. I actually found it to be quite informative and very enjoyable.

It's a line that I would have loved to have travelled.

DGH 1

That popped up in my YouTube feed yesterday and I was almost going to skip it because I assumed it'd be footage of random train movements without any commentary. I actually found it to be quite informative and very enjoyable.

It's a line that I would have loved to have travelled.
I believe this footage is or was available on the cinerail video/dvd, "the archive series vol 1, The Woodhead Route"

Enthusiast

Excellent stuff. Thanks.

The thing that intrigued me was the number of light engine movements involved.

montyburns56

Wow, I never knew that that even after electrification some trains still had to be banked. I'd always presumed that the double headed sparkies were enough to pull virtually anything. Also I didn't know that they used the overhead line to communicate between drivers and bankers, which was pretty high tech for the time. There's also a little bit of footage of the Dinting Steam Centre including a shot where one of the locos goes for a run onto the mainline. I can't imagine that being allowed these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.