• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Bankers the only overpaid workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the early years of this century, you could often see a spokesman for those either in the Stock Exchange, Banking or Financial Services stating the case for astronomical figure salaries..."We have to pay these people the very best salaries or they will go abroad". Justification was always found for the obscene amounts paid in "end of the year" bonuses to these people.

Then you see what these people actually achieved by the end of the first decade, whether they were in Britain or abroad (especially in U.S.A.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

es373

I may be, but I know enough myself (inc. Various members of staff) to know that is not all they do.

It's the basics. Go have a look at the job requirements on any TOC who's recruiting. Never said that's ALL they do but anyway that's off topic, for now.

Funny how bankers are "overpaid" but no one moans about how much Rooney is earning a week, let alone all other footballers!

EM2

Established Member
With all due respect not all the Banks were bailed out by the Government.

Barclays and HSBC are not basket cases like RBS and HBOS et al.
With all due respect, not all footballers, musicians and actors get paid massive amounts.
Calvin Zola and Delroy Facey are not multi-millionaires like John Terry and Wayne Rooney et al.

Rugd1022

MATTE2010 - Started running ages ago but the drivers are too fat to keep up! <D

XC - I have quite a few close friends who are drivers with various TOC's, I've been out quite a few times officially (and ill state this now so no one has a go, had permission from the TOC after making a request to follow a driver for the day) and there really isnt much to it..

Okay so its a fair bit of responsibility to have but people who save lives for a living are on a less wage, people who are fighting for our country are on a lesser wage, so why should it be any different for someone pushing/pulling levers (even better when its a CTBC, less work ;) ) opening/closing doors and flicking MCB's for a living.

If that doesnt tell you something then we are all doomed.

A fair bit of responsibility.... hmmm..... if I royally cock it up as a driver I could find myself on a manslaughter charge. It isn't just about being paid for what we do... ;)

For what it's worth, I think other folk who risk their lives in the line of duty should be paid more than me, but I don't have any control over that. I don't think I'm overpaid and I do appreciate how lucky I am to be doing this for a living.

es373

A fair bit of responsibility.... hmmm..... if I royally cock it up as a driver I could find myself on a manslaughter charge. It isn't just about being paid for what we do... ;)

For what it's worth, I think other folk who risk their lives in the line of duty should be paid more than me, but I don't have any control over that. I don't think I'm overpaid and I do appreciate how lucky I am to be doing this for a living.

But what are the chances? TPWS/AWS/VIG/DSD are all fail safe systems. If they or you fail, 0 bar in brake pipe. And a pink letter to follow ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
With all due respect, not all footballers, musicians and actors get paid massive amounts.
Calvin Zola and Delroy Facey are not multi-millionaires like John Terry and Wayne Rooney et al.

The same argument would apply to Bankers - my point was Bankers seem to be under far greater scrutiny than the others when something goes wrong.

NSEFAN

Established Member
whodareswins said:
But what are the chances? TPWS/AWS/VIG/DSD are all fail safe systems. If they or you fail, 0 bar in brake pipe. And a pink letter to follow

It's still possible to crash a train. The safety systems are provided to help make the system safer, not replace the driver.

Mind you, I have seen a TPWS red brake demand light with "P45" written on it!

route:oxford

Established Member
As a former Banker... One who is still fully qualified and continues to do the CPD necessary to maintain his professional qualification...

I started work in 1989 on £4500, finished early this year on around 5 times that amount. My average annual bonus was around 10%.

Overtime, unless for special projects, was forbidden and worked out at around 8 hours a week. Staff were expected to be flexible with locations and each-way commutes of 90 minutes was considered acceptable.

Over the years, I've attended to 3 gunmen, 4 knifemen, threatening phonecalls at home and numerous angered individuals. followed home twice from work by stolen cars (I drove straight to the police station), "cleaned up" after 4 actual and attempted colleague suicides and have been punched twice by senior colleagues.

At the end, I looked at where I was...

Spending 3 hours a day travelling, 7 hours at work plus 2 hours unpaid overtime. That's 60 hours a week.

It was costing me £4000 a year travelling to work.

Income after tax was £17600

So (£17600-£4000)/(60*52) = £4.36 an hour "take home" pay...

It was my career choice, and also my choice to move on.

And yes, I was/am a member of a Union - they are pretty hopless to be honest. Their banker-hating rag came through the door the other day there - sometimes I wonder if they forget how broad the membership is.

Schnellzug

Established Member
i didn't know there were so many Bankers about nowadays. I think they still have them on the Lickey, don't they. So do they pay the drivers a special wage? Or am I misconstruing again?

EM2

Established Member
The same argument would apply to Bankers - my point was Bankers seem to be under far greater scrutiny than the others when something goes wrong.
Because their actions have a far greater impact when it goes wrong. If it goes wrong for Manchester United or Bruce Springsteen, then yes, there's a bit of sadness from their fans but who really suffers?
Note that I don't mean bank staff, such as counter clerks and call centre staff, but investment bankers, like Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch and the now bankrupt Lehman Bros.

route:oxford

Established Member
Note that I don't mean bank staff, such as counter clerks and call centre staff, but investment bankers, like Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch and the now bankrupt Lehman Bros.

Trouble is, the hatred goes all the way to the bottom.

The office cleaner was subject to extreme verbal about "bankers bonuses".

Schnellzug

Established Member

that's the thing, isn't it, you hear on the news talking about "Bank staff receiving enornmous bonuses", words which are surely chosen deliberately to convey the impression that the person behind the counter is getting a bonus of 4.3 million or whatever.

NSEFAN

Established Member
route:oxford said:

Sounds like it's analogous to being a guard, driver or train dispatcher: when things go badly wrong it's the front line staff that have to bear the brunt of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.