• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Connection Times Inclusive?

ricoblade

Hi All - Before I try and submit a Delay Repay to Northern for the late running 11:48 Manchester to Sheffield which caused me to miss the 13:11 Trans Pennine from Sheffield to Doncasster (it sailed past us at Edale, the stopper already 13 down having been held at New Mills for 10 minute to let it pass), I need to know whether connectiton times are inclusive.

The stopper gets into Sheffield at 13:05 and the TPE departs at 13:11. Norhern's website says that the minimum conncetion time is 6 minutes (a hell of a lot for a compact station like Sheffield) but when I enter my journey into Northern's Delay Repay site, it says that my connection is the 13:57 Sheffield to Scarborough, which I ended up getting so wasn't late... You can manually override the default journey but there's no point if it's not a valid connection to the TPE.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
If you booked it as a valid through itinerary (had 6 mins to change, when min is 6 min) then can claim. (5 mins change shouldn't have allowed connection to be booked)

The claim is at final destination, actual arrival time vs booked time. If you caught up a bit on long booked connection then might still arrive within 15 or 30 mins.

If your train arrived 5 mins before connection, and you are quick, might catch it, but delay repay would be based on 6 mins min, so assumes got next train and didn't make the tight connection

ricoblade

If you booked it as a valid through itinerary (had 6 mins to change, when min is 6 min) then can claim. (5 mins change shouldn't have allowed connection to be booked)

The claim is at final destination, actual arrival time vs booked time. If you caught up a bit on long booked connection then might still arrive within 15 or 30 mins.
Thanks.

i didn't book an itinerary as I had an Anytime Return but that was my intended route (to connect with my 2-hourly 14:05 bus home at Doncaster). I've successfully claimed from Nothern before on the same ticket type.

The 13:57 arrived at 14:20 on time, 45 minutes after the TPE's scheduled arrival so I'll give it a go. I'm expecting to have to explain it in words of one syllable to get it through though!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You add the MCT to the arrival time to work out the earliest onward departure time that's valid. The minimum connection time (MCT) at Sheffield is 7 minutes; 13:05 plus 7 minutes is 13:12, therefore Northern's Delay Repay system is correct that this is not a valid connection and hence you cannot claim Delay Repay on the basis of missing the connection onto the 13:11 Cleethorpes service.

Whilst Sheffield is not a particularly 'wide' station, the platforms are quite long and if you get off a train at the extreme end of one of the bays or through platforms, there could be a fair amount of walking involved. Therefore 7 minutes doesn't seem unreasonable as a MCT.

[.n]

However assuming the OP is correct is saying the Northern web site states 6 mins as the MCT then 13.05 plus 6 is 13.11 so a valid connection???

ricoblade

You add the MCT to the arrival time to work out the earliest onward departure time that's valid. The minimum connection time (MCT) at Sheffield is 7 minutes; 13:05 plus 7 minutes is 13:12, therefore Northern's Delay Repay system is correct that this is not a valid connection and hence you cannot claim Delay Repay on the basis of missing the connection onto the 13:11 Cleethorpes service.

Whilst Sheffield is not a particularly 'wide' station, the platforms are quite long and if you get off a train at the extreme end of one of the bays or through platforms, there could be a fair amount of walking involved. Therefore 7 minutes doesn't seem unreasonable as a MCT.

I'm sure I found a Northern page with 6 minutes on it but of course I can't find it now and all others state 7 so I'm banjaxed :(

tspaul26

Established Member
However assuming the OP is correct is saying the Northern web site states 6 mins as the MCT then 13.05 plus 6 is 13.11 so a valid connection???
The timetable on the Sheffield station page says 7 minutes.