• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Covid precautions in place during driver training at your TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've got an enquiry from a forum member who is about to commence driver training based at a TOC in the north of England, who is wondering if Covid precautions are currently in place at different TOCs (such as regular lateral flow tests to “bubble” with a driver instructor)

If anyone knows the state of play at your particular TOC (or the TOC of any friends, family or colleagues who you are in recent contact with) that would be most helpful.

This thread isn't intended to debate the merits (or otherwise!) of any particular measures, just to establish what is happening at different TOCs.

Many thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Need2

At Thameslink there are no precautions remaining with regards to being in a cab with a DI apart from wearing a mask. No bubble or regular tests.
Although I think a DI can refuse to do in cab training?

Established Member
I've got an enquiry from a forum member who is about to commence driver training based at a TOC in the north of England, who is wondering if Covid precautions are currently in place at different TOCs (such as regular lateral flow tests to “bubble” with a driver instructor)

If anyone knows the state of play at your particular TOC (or the TOC of any friends, family or colleagues who you are in recent contact with) that would be most helpful.

This thread isn't intended to debate the merits (or otherwise!) of any particular measures, just to establish what is happening at different TOCs.

Many thanks in advance :)

My place still has training “bubbles” with weekly tests and masks “required” to be worn by staff in all non public areas, and “requested” to be worn when in cabs. I’d expect that to disappear imminently.

There’s also SSP only for those who are unvaccinated and are required to isolate for a longer period than they would if they were vaccinated. I’d expect that not to disappear anytime soon!

Last edited:

1867Blue

Would be interested to know the details for DB Cargo if anybody knows. I start my training next week.

thanks in advance

skyhigh

Established Member
Pretty much nil at my place. Training school is still distanced, but no bubbles for practical handling, no tests required (though you're encouraged to take them in your own time) and masks must not be worn while driving.

Stigy

Established Member
No tests or bubbles now at GWR. Messroom spaces are still limited, with regular “fogging” regimes in place. Obviously drivers can refuse to have route learners or trainees with them in the cab still though.

dk1

Veteran Member
All training ‘bubbles’ & Covid testing payments at Greater Anglia stopped when social distancing ended last year. Has been business as usual ever since.

si_145653

I recently went to assessment day when there was no precautions. Especially during a group exercise and testing.

Am now applying for another TOC (same position) who have advised all the testing will be online.

wobman

On Moderation
It all depends on the toc, my toc still complete a daily lateral flow test if you have trainees with you. Front ending is at drivers discretion and masks in the messrooms/ in building with social distancing. Things may change fro Thursday in England but no announcement regarding Welsh depots

Status
Not open for further replies.