• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are off peak tickets available on the Birmingham to Hereford Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST274

I was just looking at tickets* to Great Malvern from Worcester and noticed that on weekends and weekdays I could find not off peak tickets, just anytime day singles. Are there no offpeak tickets available here or am I missing something.

*This was on Trainline which I know is not the best app so does it come down to that?

I believe this is the same with Longbridge to Birmingham but outside of peak times

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I was just looking at tickets* to Great Malvern from Worcester and noticed that on weekends and weekdays I could find not off peak tickets, just anytime day singles. Are there no offpeak tickets available here or am I missing something.

*This was on Trainline which I know is not the best app so does it come down to that?
There is no off-peak day return between Worcester and Great Malvern but there should be a Anytime Day Return at £6.50. There is also an evening return valid after 6pm at £3.90.

alistairlees

Established Member
The only single is an Anytime Day Single (SDS). There are no Off-Peak singles.

There is an Off-Peak Evening Day Return, but that’s the only off-peak fare.

HST274

The only single is an Anytime Day Single (SDS). There are no Off-Peak singles.

There is an Off-Peak Evening Day Return, but that’s the only off-peak fare.
There is no off-peak day return between Worcester and Great Malvern but there should be a Anytime Day Return at £6.50. There is also an evening return valid after 6pm at £3.90.
Thanks for the reply!
No, Longbridge to Birmingham has an off-peak day return - £4.80.
Must not of looked hard enough :D

not between 1635 and 1800 if travelling from Birmingham New St, Moor St, Snow Hill, Five Ways or Jewellery Quarter
https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk/tickets-fares/off-peak
One other query I had is whether the rule mentioned above applies to off peak returns (aka month returns) as well as off peak day returns. I ask because on Trainline it marks a 1650 ( between the hours) as able to be travelled on on an off peak month return, but if returning in the day only an Anytime day return is available.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
One other query I had is whether the rule mentioned above applies to off peak returns (aka month returns) as well as off peak day returns. I ask because on Trainline it marks a 1650 ( between the hours) as able to be travelled on on an off peak month return, but if returning in the day only an Anytime day return is available.
Not necessarily. Offpeak "period" (SVR) returns don't always have the same restrictions. For GMV-BHM there is no evening restriction - but it costs more than an Anytime Day Return anyway.

island

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply!

Must not of looked hard enough :D

Despite the fact that “anytime”, “off-peak”, and “advance” fares are meant to be “simple” so “you know where you stand”, this frequently fails to hold true in practice, and this is one example.

Each and every off-peak ticket has a restriction code which defines when it is and is not valid, and it is possible for an off-peak return to be valid at a time that an off-peak day return is not (and vice-versa).

By the way, don’t buy tickets from trainline, it’s usually more expensive and never cheaper than buying directly from a train company.

plugwash

Established Member
Yes, some years back the people in charge renamed all the tickets, ostensibly to make them "simpler", but in practice they just made them more confusing.

When they were called "cheap day return" and "saver return" they were obviously two different products. Now they are called "off peak return" and "off-peak day return" anyone not intimately familiar with the system would be lead to assume they had the same time restrictions when the reality is often very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.