• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are the LED displays at stations not used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Unfortunately my watch seems unable to sync to the Frankfurt signal - though my wall clock seems to be managing.

I have a wall clock which is managing fine without the transmission. I'm dreading the signal being turned back on, though, because it has to rotate the hands through between 23 and 47 hours' time display (this being an analogue clock) whenever it receives a new signal. If this happens at night, it will doubtless wake up everyone in the house (as it does every time the clocks change) because of the motor grinding!

Ah well... what more should I reasonably expect from a 12-year-old radio receiver and microprocessor?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
The point being that not every clock on every railway station is radio controlled, and the cost of changing them all over and paying someone to do that probably outweighs the benefits.

If they hadn't ripped out all the old synched BR clocks that in main stations were rarely out of viewing range this wouldn't be an issue now.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The ones that made a noisy, almost satisfying, clunking sound? If they hadn't mostly broken to the point where the segment displays weren't showing the wrong digits (or totally impossible digits) then it would have been great to keep them!

PR1Berske

Established Member
I found the clunk-clunk of those BR clocks quite satisfying.

There's still some of those around at Manchester Piccadilly isn't there?

Clip

Established Member
If they hadn't ripped out all the old synched BR clocks that in main stations were rarely out of viewing range this wouldn't be an issue now.

Those still went wrong though so I dont know what your point is really. bits broke all the time or stuck on a certain number for a bit so you still couldnt tell. IIRC it was the one on plat 5 at the Cross was always going out of sync at least once a month..

No difference really, but hey I forgot - everything was better back in BR days wasnt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.