• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there any good scenic views on the underground when it is above ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railguy1

Just wondering whether there are any scenic/good views anyone would recommend? The district line over the Thames is one at the top of my head. Any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THC

The Metropolitan line between Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham affords some particularly fine views across the Chess valley.

THC

ANDREW_D_WEBB

I always like the view from the bridge at the east end of North Acton station looking down onto the station itself.

AM9

Veteran Member
There's these:
Dollis Brook Viaduct on the Northern Mill Hill branch,​
Kew (railway) Bridge on the District Richmond branch​
and Fulham Railway Bridge on the District Wimbledon branch.​
Of course an enthusiast might have a different list:
The District bridge north of East Putney over the NR tracks from Clapham Junction to Barnes​
The Circle line as it passes the Paddington throat tracks en route to/from Hammersmith​

NSE

Established Member
Most of the north of the Metropolitan Line is fairly scenic. Not so much the Uxbridge branch, I’m talking via Northwood and up to Chesham as the poster above said.

I quite like the Hammersmith and City/Circle out on the Hammersmith branch. Lots of urban stuff from its elevated level.

Andrew S

The Central Line around Riding Valley and Chigwell goes over a viaduct with a view into the city.

AM9

Veteran Member
The Central Line around Riding Valley and Chigwell goes over a viaduct with a view into the city.
I remember in the '60s when the embankments were fairly bare, (there were staem hauled trains using it until the mid '50s), but apart from in the depths of winter, I think the number of large trees there now spoils the view.

Taunton

Established Member
I remember in the '60s when the embankments were fairly bare, (there were staem hauled trains using it until the mid '50s), but apart from in the depths of winter, I think the number of large trees there now spoils the view.
Still a good view as far as both Canary Wharf and The City, from the point where it bridges the M11 motorway (thus no trees). From the motorway underneath the bridge you can't see this, the bit of extra height makes it.

Chiswick Park has some good views towards the city with both 'tube' and 'sub-surface' stock on the route (Piccadilly and District).

Attachments

• 2022-10-27_19-42-49.jpg
    2022-10-27_19-42-49.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 105

Sunil_P

Chigwell area (where it goes over the M11 and River Roding) has already been mentioned, but Central line between Barkingside and Hainault gives good views of the City way in the distance.

AM9

Veteran Member
Chigwell area (where it goes over the M11 and River Roding) has already been mentioned, but Central line between Barkingside and Hainault gives good views of the City way in the distance.
Yes, and Hog Hill (seems to be called Dog Kennel Hill now) to the east beyond the ex-sand pit fake lake.

The District between Southfields and Wimbledon has some nice views across the Wandle Valley at a couple of spots but the most panoramic view - Southfields to Wim Park - has been blunted by the increased level of most properties along the edges of Wimbledon Park. Everyone has a loft extension now, either that or the Line is sinking!

Magdalia

Established Member
Kew (railway) Bridge on the District Richmond branch
I cross this bridge when I visit the National Archives, though usually on an Overground train running from/to Stratford.

There are (mooring?) posts in the river, and, if you are lucky, the local cormorant will be perched on one of these.

The0

Dagenham East to Elm park is interesting it's got some big buildings and then it cuts thru a nature reserve

AM9

Veteran Member
I cross this bridge when I visit the National Archives, though usually on an Overground train running from/to Stratford.

There are (mooring?) posts in the river, and, if you are lucky, the local cormorant will be perched on one of these.
I hope to be crossing that bridge tomorrow en route to Richmond, - I'll keep an eye open.

Sultan

The Overground Barkingside to Barking Riverside will hopefully be one of the most scenic in about 20 years - at the moment it's one of the ugliest!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Going towards Harrow and Uxbridge on the Metropolitan Line is ok in places

321over360

Definitely great views on the Hainault Loop between Newbury Park & Roding Valley

MaidaVale

With the loop already mentioned, Loughton to Epping has some pretty good views overall if you’re wanting countryside.

Leyton to Leytonstone gets a great view of the city head-on from the cab although it is rarely visible from the saloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.