Are there any "Red Pen" smartphone apps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Springs Branch, 21 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Springs Branch

Springs Branch Member

"I'm not a Train Spotter, but ......" I was browsing through Apple's App Store and was surprised, amongst the myriad of useful & useless stuff on iTunes, that no-one seems to have produced a smartphone "Combined Volume" or "Platform 5" type app aimed at spotters or haulage bashers.

Certainly there are various Real Time, Next Train or Countdown-type apps for trains, metro & buses in many location, but I was thinking of some sort of iPhone/Android application as a digital "red pen" to record loco & rolling stock observations on a mobile device, replacing the notebook & biro (e.g. scroll down then one tap for sighting, two taps for haulage?). Presumably the device could also attach a time and geo tag to each observation.

I know it's unlikely this would be totally free - especially if it needed to be maintained to keep fleet data current - but considering the cost of spotter's books and the prevalence of smartphones you might think someone would have something on the market for a couple of £.

Is there already something out there and I haven't been looking hard enough?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

<edit> After posting I just saw this was discussed about a year ago here.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2015
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. alex17595

alex17595 Member

I have one on Android called 'Trainspotter' Which is basically a list of Locos which you can tick off when/where you saw them.

4. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

If there isn't one then there are various IT-skilled people on this forum, so perhaps one could be developed? It obviously won't sell in Candy Crush volumes but there are already successful electronic services which enthusiasts are wiling to pay for, such as Freightmaster and Railmiles.

5. crehld

crehld Established Member Associate Staff Senior Fares Advisor

I have a spreadsheet which is accessible on my smart phone through Google drive.

6. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Funnily enough I was going to comment something like that earlier. If a spreadsheet is regularly updated by the user, then the need for a paid-for app is not going to be massive.

However, I would love to see it happen. If the app is reasonably priced then it could flourish well.

I am a bit old-fashioned and still use a notebook and pen, accompanied by my NREA, which I doubt I'll ever change. However I'd be keen to give an app a try!

7. gdale1

gdale1 Member

Can highly recommend spotlog, sorry do not know how to do a link but a quick search in google will take you there.

8. Springs Branch

Springs Branch Member

Thanks for posting, that's the sort of app I expected to find. Seems my problem was only searching in the Apple world.

9. Karl

Karl Member

Last edited: 23 Aug 2015
  10. Condor7

Condor7 Member

I use this as well, and from memory it was either free or just a couple of quid.
    I must admit though I do tend to just use it when I don't have my notebook with me and see a loco I want to record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.