• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are windscreen wipers on trains any good?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
A little risky to be mopping windscreens in OHLE locations, though!
Wasn't that dealt with by designing ladders that could be placed on the track and leant against the front of the train, which combined with a specific length mop handle ensured the OHLE was kept beyond reach? That does of course restrict their use to PTS (Personal Track Safety certificate) holders but you wouldn't generally expect anyone else to get involved in any case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Wasn't that dealt with by designing ladders that could be placed on the track and leant against the front of the train, which combined with a specific length mop handle ensured the OHLE was kept beyond reach? That does of course restrict their use to PTS (Personal Track Safety certificate) holders but you wouldn't generally expect anyone else to get involved in any case.

I can’t say I’ve ever come across that (and how would a fixed ladder and mop handle help when the height of the people using them would vary?!)

Interesting suggestion, but sounds like the kind of thing that wouldn’t be permitted to be used these days anyway, due to health and safety type concerns.

The Puddock

I can’t say I’ve ever come across that (and how would a fixed ladder and mop handle help when the height of the people using them would vary?!)

Interesting suggestion, but sounds like the kind of thing that wouldn’t be permitted to be used these days anyway, due to health and safety type concerns.
They were common in the 80s and 90s. Here's a photo from Flickr (not mine)

dgl

Established Member
One thing I noticed with my sisters car was the make of wipers seemed to make a difference.
Brought some Bosch wipers as a replacement and they started squeaking very quickly, ended up buying the genuine Valeo wipers from Nissan and they never seem to squeak.

Robin Procter

I'm sure I've seen a bucket of soapy water and a mop strategically placed beside starting signals on some station platforms. Maybe NR should employ some of the characters who used to "clean" your car screen (whether it needed it or not) at traffic signals a decade or two ago.
.... Earlier this year (2023) at Kings Cross London :

KingsCross Azuma cleaner_OMD10358 @.jpg

Class 43 which are about 40 years old have screen washers which look pretty high powered :

Weymouth Class43 274 ColasRail_OMD10632 @.jpg

And Class 395 wipers look pretty effective and latest-state-of-the-art :

A JAVELIN DEPARTS IN THE RAIN by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:

Maxfly

Being out in the snow in a 37 on the secondmans side usually seems to mean the wiped area gets smaller and smaller as the snow builds up at each side until you can clear it off. The wiper blades themselves are fairly beefy but the mechanism would be the weak points and as others have noted the air power means they are noisy....mind you that just joins in with the various other noises in a 37 cab. Electric wipers in a 73, quiet cab and quiet wipers that clear the screen well.

Big Jumby 74

Worst thing about trains (am talking old school 4 VEP days etc) but likely no different today, compared to cars, is splattered flies on the windscreens. Anyone who has walked through the connecting gangway of such stock will have seen the mess on the in folded section of the cab front. Had to use the wiper on the second mans side occasionally when 'passing' to work, but being in the dark didn't really notice the full extent of the dead insects on the glass...:rolleyes:

Someone mentioned defective wipers? Any such case on my patch, the unit with said defect would be remarshalled so that the defective wiper (cab) was buried in the middle of an 8 (or 12) car formation, and would be noted as such on daily orders to remain as such until such time as the defect could be rectified.

MotCO

Established Member
I remember the old slam-door stock on the South West suburban lines where the wiper was mounted at the bottom of the screen and there was a visible spring to return the wiper - they never looked very efficient. I've tried looking for pictures on Flickr but can't find any - was I imaging it?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I remember the old slam-door stock on the South West suburban lines where the wiper was mounted at the bottom of the screen and there was a visible spring to return the wiper - they never looked very efficient. I've tried looking for pictures on Flickr but can't find any - was I imaging it?
Do you mean like the 4SUB EMUs? A super picture is at the top of this linked page:

RunRepeat

brad465

Established Member
They were common in the 80s and 90s. Here's a photo from Flickr (not mine)

I guess H&S gone mad would not allow that practice anymore except in designated yards/depots/sidings.

These wipers are doing a good job.:D
The thing that caught my eye here was not the effectiveness of the wipers, but that the very minimum cleaning was carried out to ensure branding and loco identity remained clear.

NEDdrv

Presumably a broken drivers-side windscreen wiper is a train failure if that cab is leading. One thing I’ve wondered, what happens if its not currently raining?
Had this exact thing happen about 10 years ago. Turned set at Newcastle (Glasgow bound) next day asked by DTM who authorised me to do it. He said control had checked weather forecast and no sign of rain told him couldn’t see out for dead flies. Not just there in case of rain.

75A

Established Member
09's were ok out of the big (rear) screen, when you were going that way, but the front ones were worse than useless in the rain and you had to drive by looking out of the side window which meant your head got rather damp.
Mind you they were worse than useless in the dry as well!

Toby268

390 wipers are useless. Better off using the force in heavy rain.
Yup. Probably the worst wipers on any ‘modern’ unit I’ve came across. In the summer the visibility can be so poor as no amount of windscreen washer seems to wipe away the flies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
In areas without overhead wires it's fairly common to see a bucket and squeezy mop left in strategic areas for a quick bit of extra window cleaning from the platform.

Sadly that's usually frowned upon where you're under the overhead wires. Fitters often do attend for difficulties clearing the windscreen, and have their methods involving cloths and short sticks with them on the end, the like. They might also top up windscreen wash if needed.

Samzino

In areas without overhead wires it's fairly common to see a bucket and squeezy mop left in strategic areas for a quick bit of extra window cleaning from the platform.

Sadly that's usually frowned upon where you're under the overhead wires. Fitters often do attend for difficulties clearing the windscreen, and have their methods involving cloths and short sticks with them on the end, the like. They might also top up windscreen wash if needed.
We still have a bucket and mop for the 345s underwires at Abbey Wood. But that's because the wipers do a poor job of cleaning and clearing.

Kneedown

Established Member
In EMR land, the wipers on the 222 fleet are a pain. Noisy and squeaky, with the blades tending to wear more in the drivers line of sight, leaving you with the sight of a semi-circle of insects and pigeon goo all the way. At least there are still long handled brushes available at Derby and Leicester to help.
There can also be an issue of wind lifting the blade from the windscreen. Possibly caused by fatigued springs maybe? Perhaps an increase in the frequency of arm and blade renewal would be beneficial? I'm not even sure if there is a set renewal frequency, and that they just wait for the wipers to be reported?
That said, the wipers on HSTs and 180s always seemed to be pretty decent. Maybe "upward pointing" wipers are more efficient than "downward pointing" when it comes to aerodynamics and screen contact?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

In areas with overhead wires too!

There’s usually a bucket and mop/brush at the south end of platform 1 at St Albans, and it’s not there to clean the cab floor.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
In areas with overhead wires too!

There’s usually a bucket and mop/brush at the south end of platform 1 at St Albans, and it’s not there to clean the cab floor.

Yes very common all around the network, OLE area or not.