• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva (Beds, Bucks, Herts)

Voyager 2953

Seeing as the original Arriva thread is closed I thought I’d create a more simplified one that would focus more on Bedfordshire, Bucks, Oxon and Hertfordshire.

As stated on here before 6149 is the new decker at Wycombe. Currently has a spare ticket machine so quite hard to track.

3580 has had a new engine fitted.

4749 has had an engine seizure so won’t be returning back.

Apparently more deckers are due from Leicester in the new year for the 800/850 in the form of Gemini B9s. Not sure how true this is but the state of the buses on what would be the flagship route is just something to marvel at.

As much as I like Arriva having worked for them in the past, I think they need a new strategy and not necessarily new buses. For example they have a plethora of DB300 DW class buses that have come off London tendered work sitting around gathering dust and being sold on..but they’re actually Euro 6 so could easily be used to upgrade some of the fleets in Kent (I know some have moved over to Tunbridge Wells) and High Wycombe. Even the cowboy operator has managed new buses in the form of some MCV Evoras..

The up and coming numbering system especially for the 300/X30 just seems odd and confusing to me because the 300 isn’t exactly a quick service. If they wanted lower numbers why not just number it the 30 and the X3 the instead of X90.

Here are some shots of the buses I’ve taken over a the past few weeks. I can’t help but laugh when I see the new posters regarding new changes. Not to slate Arriva but it’s we have to be honest out of all the big operators in the UK, they have the absolute worst and these things need addressing.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
Seeing as the original Arriva thread is closed I thought I’d create a more simplified one that would focus more on Bedfordshire, Bucks, Oxon and Hertfordshire.

As stated on here before 6149 is the new decker at Wycombe. Currently has a spare ticket machine so quite hard to track.

Apparently more deckers are due from Leicester in the new year for the 800/850 in the form of Gemini B9s. Not sure how true this is but the state of the buses on what would be the flagship route is just something to marvel at.

As much as I like Arriva having worked for them in the past, I think they need a new strategy and not necessarily new buses. For example they have a plethora of DB300 DW class buses that have come off London tendered work sitting around gathering dust and being sold on..but they’re actually Euro 6 so could easily be used to upgrade some of the fleets in Kent (I know some have moved over to Tunbridge Wells) and High Wycombe. Even the cowboy operator has managed new buses in the form of some MCV Evoras..

The up and coming numbering system especially for the 300/X30 just seems odd and confusing to me because the 300 isn’t exactly a quick service. If they wanted lower numbers why not just number it the 30 and the X3 the 300.

Here are some shots of the buses I’ve taken over a the past few weeks. I can’t help but laugh when I see the new posters regarding new changes. Not to slate Arriva but it’s we have to be honest out of all the big operators in the UK, they have the absolute worst and something needs to be done.
I think that @arrivamatt may want to see this given it's his area and he may wish to address some of the points raised.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

The up and coming numbering system especially for the 300/X30 just seems odd and confusing to me because the 300 isn’t exactly a quick service. If they wanted lower numbers why not just number it the 30 and the X3 the instead of X90.

Here are some shots of the buses I’ve taken over a the past few weeks. I can’t help but laugh when I see the new posters regarding new changes. Not to slate Arriva but it’s we have to be honest out of all the big operators in the UK, they have the absolute worst and these things need addressing.
To be absolutely fair to Arriva, most of the vehicles that I've encountered on in 2023 have been generally ok (Merseyside, North East, Southend) and I'd not have placed them much apart from First.

However, those are absolutely shockers. Not much sparkle there from your Sapphire vehicle.

RELL6L

The up and coming numbering system especially for the 300/X30 just seems odd and confusing to me because the 300 isn’t exactly a quick service. If they wanted lower numbers why not just number it the 30 and the X3 the 300.

Here are some shots of the buses I’ve taken over a the past few weeks. I can’t help but laugh when I see the new posters regarding new changes. Not to slate Arriva but it’s we have to be honest out of all the big operators in the UK, they have the absolute worst and something needs to be done.

Interesting information. I looked in at the weekend, 4749 looks very broken, 4211, 4212, 3009 and 2979 were parked up together and haven't been used for a while, they don't appear to be under repair, perhaps they are awaiting parts. I've not seen any sign of 3580, its an odd bus (an E300) to have at Wycombe as there are no similar examples anywhere within Berks and Bucks. 6149 is tracking on BusTimes and I have seen it a couple of times to confirm it. Some vehicles don't always track though, the Arriva App sometimes shows buses as cancelled when they aren't. Performance does appear to have improved a little but there are still gaps on the 2/12.

Not sure about changing all the Aylesbury services to X prefixes but the logic was explained on the old thread and let's hope it works. I'm not that impressed by the January changes in Wycombe. Yes the link from the 14.58 from Penn to the 15.30 to Reading has been broken, will be interested to see how that works now. The 11 has been given more running time but still appears to interwork with the 800/850. On the 800/850 bizarrely there will be no arrival in Reading between 06.50 and 08.15, with a two hour gap on the 850. There is a departure at 07.40, could this not run in service inwards for at least part of the way? There is an extra 800 from Reading to Wycombe at 07.00 giving a bus from Binfield Heath to Henley and Marlow at school times, but no possible return working. The 19.00 from Wycombe has gone from the timetable but it never seemed busy. Disappointing there remains no arrival in Wycombe between 07.15 and 08.10 and no departure after 21.30. The X80 journey from Reading continues, there is no mention in the timetable that this route misses out Caversham and I don't understand the way it uses the A404 between Marlow and Wycombe - the normal route is often quicker and this leaves a big pm gap from Marlow to Marlow Bottom.

Voyager 2953

Interesting information. I looked in at the weekend, 4749 looks very broken, 4211, 4212, 3009 and 2979 were parked up together and haven't been used for a while, they don't appear to be under repair, perhaps they are awaiting parts. I've not seen any sign of 3580, its an odd bus (an E300) to have at Wycombe as there are no similar examples anywhere within Berks and Bucks. 6149 is tracking on BusTimes and I have seen it a couple of times to confirm it. Some vehicles don't always track though, the Arriva App sometimes shows buses as cancelled when they aren't. Performance does appear to have improved a little but there are still gaps on the 2/12.

Not sure about changing all the Aylesbury services to X prefixes but the logic was explained on the old thread and let's hope it works. I'm not that impressed by the January changes in Wycombe. Yes the link from the 14.58 from Penn to the 15.30 to Reading has been broken, will be interested to see how that works now. The 11 has been given more running time but still appears to interwork with the 800/850. On the 800/850 bizarrely there will be no arrival in Reading between 06.50 and 08.15, with a two hour gap on the 850. There is a departure at 07.40, could this not run in service inwards for at least part of the way? There is an extra 800 from Reading to Wycombe at 07.00 giving a bus from Binfield Heath to Henley and Marlow at school times, but no possible return working. The 19.00 from Wycombe has gone from the timetable but it never seemed busy. Disappointing there remains no arrival in Wycombe between 07.15 and 08.10 and no departure after 21.30. The X80 journey from Reading continues, there is no mention in the timetable that this route misses out Caversham and I don't understand the way it uses the A404 between Marlow and Wycombe - the normal route is often quicker and this leaves a big pm gap from Marlow to Marlow Bottom.
4212 cut out on the 10 about two weeks ago and wasn’t used since. It also had a speedo fault.

Those B9s are very good buses, far better than the Citaros which have a multitude of issues.

The X80 routing to me down the A404 is very much ridiculous; I agree with the reasons you give but another reason is the buses at Wycombe generally cannot keep to speed on that road because of their poor maintenance and age related issues. The incline is steeper for longer than going up through Marlow Hill and makes no difference to the running time as the traffic builds up more on that road.

Last edited:

JD2168

The condition of the vehicles in your pictures you have posted are quite shocking & not what you expect from a large operator.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The rot with Arriva interiors set in when they abandoned the use of moquette in their regional vehicles. The London fleet still has the attractive blue moquette which gives a nice interior.

Quite how bus executives think a return to the 1970s with bus interiors is the way to attract custom completely escapes me.

The pictures of battered interiors do look dreadful.

arrivamatt

Thanks @markymark2000 - happy to respond.

If the proposed cascade plan does come to fruition, we should expect to transfer Volvo B9TL/Optare Olympus from Leicester in the New Year which are being replaced by the new Wright Electroliners. Our intention is to allocate these very reliable workhorses to the 800/850 - a far more suitable vehicle for the undulating terrain, and provides much needed capacity on this busy corridor. The interiors are to a decent specification too, which are ideal for comfort on end-to-end journeys. Other long-term fleet plans are in the works for next year - we don't generally publish details of our transfers and cascades, with there being lots to consider, including future network plans and investment cycles.

This was explored, but ruled out as X3 (Aylesbury to High Wycombe) and 3 (High Wycombe to Castlefield) have no commonality. It's also a little soon to reintroduce a route numbered 30, as infrequent bus users may still assume that this is the number for buses to Downley. It's my view that we should keep the nomenclature simple and free from any previous association of the pre-September network. The new interurban network in Buckinghamshire is sequenced in a way to avoid as many clashes as possible across various local authorities and other bus routes - the Milton Keynes X6 being the only exception, which we're working with Milton Keynes City Council on how to best differentiate.

Clearly, this is far from where we should be in terms of fleet presentation. Will follow this up with the depot.

We've taken the next step to enhance an already-improving network in High Wycombe, both in terms of patronage and on-time performance, incorporating feedback from our customers whilst building in timetable improvements through the gathering of data since September as part of our cyclical review.

Route 11 and 800/850 interwork for capacity (January allocation should be DD) and duty efficiency reasons, lowering the total cost of operation for both corridors. The gaps in arrivals into Reading are built around punctual deliverability of our customers' travel patterns against the available resource - more suitable peak arrivals from locales on both sides of the Thames are more desired than combined headway. There are many overlapping school movements in both directions on this corridor, which also dictates some of the arrivals at both ends of the route. The Binfield Heath to Marlow Hill journey is bespoke to an ask that suits individual travel needs as well as providing the area with an arrival at Henley-on-Thames at the Parish Council's request - we do listen and act on feedback by tailoring journeys accordingly.

The omission of Caversham is detailed on our website and on roadside information created by Reading buses - granted, this isn't shown in the timetable, however we're still exploring which timing point/s are the most suitable in Reading as traffic movements change in the town; note that new timing points are now at Caversham, Montague Street/Star Inn.

The X80 journey from Reading continues, there is no mention in the timetable that this route misses out Caversham and I don't understand the way it uses the A404 between Marlow and Wycombe - the normal route is often quicker and this leaves a big pm gap from Marlow to Marlow Bottom.

The X80 routing to me down the A404 is very much ridiculous; I agree with the reasons you give but another reason is the buses at Wycombe generally cannot keep to speed on that road because of their poor maintenance and age related issues. The incline is steeper for longer than going up through Marlow Hill and makes no difference to the running time as the traffic builds up more on that road.

Although some point-to-point times changed during 2023, the conscious decision to retain the 800/850/X80 provides us time to understand the many overlapping movements in the 2023/24 academic term. Addressing the fleet issues in January will mean that data gathered will be a stable baseline to measure on-time performance.

Many of you will have undoubtedly seen the latest industry-wide patronage figures which, whilst optimistic, do also bring about challenges on networks that are in many cases different from those pre-COVID. Commercial sensitivity prevents articulating all of the detail, but our decision to retain the identity and framework of the 800/850/X80 was a conscientious one, to allow us time to engage with key stakeholders, the various communities and local authorities, schools, colleges and our customers to best understand their travel demands through constructive feedback and ideas post-September. We've been asking ourselves the same question as quoted above - but one we need to understand what the optimal solution is once an improved fleet is in place, which'll give us an accurate dataset, and a better view of future demand.

Edvid

Established Member
On the Arriva website it appears there are no longer any references to the 724 on the Green Line pages, and vice versa. If indeed the 724 is now officially a 'regular' Arriva route that doesn't surprise me; in my experience it's felt like one for some time anyway.

Were it not for the 757 coach service - boosted by Luton Airport getting pretty close to pre-COVID passenger throughput - I wonder if the Green Line brand would have been consigned to history already. Here's hoping the brand stays with it.

Mwanesh

The thing with those seats is that's vandalism. A company no matter how big will struggle to sort it out. If passengers treated vehicles with a bit of common sense the company would carr

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The thing with those seats is that's vandalism. A company no matter how big will struggle to sort it out.
While I am not trying to defend vandalism in any way, going for a spartan look encourages vandalism in my view, because it makes it look like the company doesn't care about the appearance of their vehicles.

Last edited:

Voyager 2953

The thing with those seats is that's vandalism. A company no matter how big will struggle to sort it out. If passengers treated vehicles with a bit of common sense the company would carr
That’s true to a degree but if you look at the fleet in Wycombe it’s all bad. It doesn’t look like a respectable fleet of buses and one that is cared for by the company operating it. Neighbouring carousel do not suffer with this. Their fleet is clean both inside and out. Some of the Arriva buses still have the previous night’s litter on them.

The people of Wycombe have no faith in Arriva and the only way to restore this is to get a new fleet of vehicles or a completely new company come in with a new name.

Not to mention that people are now paying £4 for a journey that would normally cost £2, as they have split the 2 and 3 into two services. I get the commercial sense in this as it drives people to get day tickets but with the state of the buses in Wycombe and their unreliability, lack of customer service, buses breaking down etc. the list could go on and none of it is an exaggeration. It’s not fair on the working class people of Wycombe to have to put up with a company like this. I will be putting up a video and few more pictures too of the state of the fleet that I have taken over the past few months. It’s so awful I’ve never seen anything like this.

I’d much rather Stagecoach had come to Wycombe. Arriva and their management do not seem up for the job. Running the place from Leicester is just ridiculous and while I understand data can be transmitted electronically it doesn’t give a true reflection of what’s actually happening on the ground.

Many of the people in this town would rather Carousel; it’s just Arriva have most of the town services that people have to unfortunately rely on. Many of the staff here are demotivated and fed up. Buses are cold, criminally slow and uncomfortable to be on.

5457-5460 are not suited to the hilly terrain of Wycombe and barely do 20 mph. That set of buses are rattly and in various states of disrepair. The Sapphire brand needs to be dropped as there’s nothing stylish about them..

Again all things I’ve mentioned will be backed up by pictures and videos of my observation.

I really do hope that once Isquared come in that things do change because if not then there’s no hope for Arriva. I’d much rather they be broken up and garages sold to others. Reading Buses is a company that would be most welcome here. They have a lovely fleet of buses many of which are older than Wycombe’s fleet and they seem to take some pride in their operations.

Last edited:

LUYMun

I've noted that paper timetables of Arriva's upcoming X-prefixed routes in January were available at High Wycombe bus station yesterday, plenty distributed throughout the concourse. Nice to see paper timetables make a slight comeback.

Voyager 2953

It appears that the Olympus will now not be arriving at Wycombe.

4210,4211 and 4212 have been in the workshop since early this week getting the last bits of work for their new roles almost exclusively on the Reading routes. They are sterling buses but could probably do with a repaint and return.

3010 still has the paper sign in the stead of a working bell. These Citatos are really awful buses, numerous faults and anomalies between the batch.

The new numbers look ridiculous especially as the former 300 isn’t an express route. I get the method of thinking, a sort of interurban route lining two major towns but that’s what the X30 does.

Patronage on the X20 seems to be picking up probably because of the nice warm Volvos in comparison to the rattly cold Citaros which are now a regular feat on the X7 (280). Sublime.

Most of the buses are still in the exact same condition they were in many weeks ago when I reported them.

I really question the direction of this company, nobody in Wycombe is buying any of these mooted changes. What the place needs is better buses, not leaflets outlining enhanced services with unreliable buses and with that said there’s not even enough drivers to cover this all.

The decline of this company and the rise of Redline amazes me honestly. It’s like watching someone put on their shoes first and then attempting to put on their trousers.

RELL6L

No sign of the B9TLs 4210, 4211 or 4212 in service today although the spare ticket machine SP HI was out on the X80 this morning and could well be a decker. The 800/850/X80 affected by flooding in Henley this morning not helping. The depot is still a few vehicles short of being able to provide a full service, missing boards on 2/12 and 10/13.

At the depot at the weekend no sign of the B9TLs, all off the road for a while, perhaps they were inside. Parked up outside were 3008, 3009, 2953, 2326, withdrawn 4749 and also 3580, still clearly without an engine. No sign of 2979, is this back on the road but not tracking?

Not convinced about the service changes. The 11/800/850 seem to need an extra vehicle due to extended journey times, but it was only a handful of peak journeys which normally got regularly late. There will be an awful lot of hanging around now. And baffled by the 850 starting its day at 7.40 in Reading- surely there is demand for an inbound journey at that time when it’s coming in anyway, even if only from Twyford!

arrivamatt

On the Arriva website it appears there are no longer any references to the 724 on the Green Line pages, and vice versa. If indeed the 724 is now officially a 'regular' Arriva route that doesn't surprise me; in my experience it's felt like one for some time anyway.

Were it not for the 757 coach service - boosted by Luton Airport getting pretty close to pre-COVID passenger throughput - I wonder if the Green Line brand would have been consigned to history already. Here's hoping the brand stays with it.

Whilst today's Greenline network is far different from what it was historically, the prestige of the brand has evolved to epitomise the 757; an identity that we're proud to carry, and will carry into the future.

That’s true to a degree but if you look at the fleet in Wycombe it’s all bad. It doesn’t look like a respectable fleet of buses and one that is cared for by the company operating it. Neighbouring carousel do not suffer with this. Their fleet is clean both inside and out. Some of the Arriva buses still have the previous night’s litter on them.

The people of Wycombe have no faith in Arriva and the only way to restore this is to get a new fleet of vehicles or a completely new company come in with a new name.

Not to mention that people are now paying £4 for a journey that would normally cost £2, as they have split the 2 and 3 into two services. I get the commercial sense in this as it drives people to get day tickets but with the state of the buses in Wycombe and their unreliability, lack of customer service, buses breaking down etc. the list could go on and none of it is an exaggeration. It’s not fair on the working class people of Wycombe to have to put up with a company like this. I will be putting up a video and few more pictures too of the state of the fleet that I have taken over the past few months. It’s so awful I’ve never seen anything like this.

I’d much rather Stagecoach had come to Wycombe. Arriva and their management do not seem up for the job. Running the place from Leicester is just ridiculous and while I understand data can be transmitted electronically it doesn’t give a true reflection of what’s actually happening on the ground.

Many of the people in this town would rather Carousel; it’s just Arriva have most of the town services that people have to unfortunately rely on. Many of the staff here are demotivated and fed up. Buses are cold, criminally slow and uncomfortable to be on...

...I really do hope that once Isquared come in that things do change because if not then there’s no hope for Arriva. I’d much rather they be broken up and garages sold to others. Reading Buses is a company that would be most welcome here. They have a lovely fleet of buses many of which are older than Wycombe’s fleet and they seem to take some pride in their operations.

The fleet in High Wycombe needs some love, but our fleet plan is in progress. The Optare Versas that were injected into the fleet a little while ago have been well received by our team and our customers.

The network has enjoyed double-digit customer growth since the introduction of the new routes and frequencies, all delivered in a more efficient package - I'd argue that this is a vote in confidence, not a lack of faith. It doesn't mean that everything's perfect, and I've been fully transparent about our service delivery challenges, which are not unique to just Arriva. Appreciate that this point is repeated - we cannot simply "get a new fleet of vehicles". To replace the fleet at High Wycombe would cost somewhere in the region of £10m. Who is paying for that? Do we increase our fares significantly to pay for this, or do we cut the PVR requirement to have a handful of new buses? Simple economics mean that we must use the full fleet strength in the most efficient way possible. Mid-life and fully depreciated vehicles have their place in the fleet mix. We're progressing with injecting better buses, but these are part of a wider cascade that are enabled by other new vehicles coming live, which hasn't happened yet.

A change of owner doesn't mean that the issues articulated go away. It's also very frustrating to hear the place is run from Leicester. This couldn't be further from the truth. It's locally managed by a dedicated team who help feed into the network strategy as well as strive to deliver the best possible service, every day - I can't exaggerate the efforts they make to keep buses moving. The back-office elements of technical input are managed in the same way as Stagecoach, First, Go Ahead and other big groups do; why wouldn't you centralise non-localised activities that would otherwise cause inefficiency at a depot level?

This is by no means a slight at Carousel - but they've injected some ex-London vehicles that aren't in the local livery to help prop-up fleet availability after winning a handful of contracts. This absolutely makes sense; and I'm sure they too have a plan for their local fleet which'll take time to implement.

The very small number of customers who travelled across town on the previous 32/33 were majoritarily season ticket holders, which was a rationale behind the decision. Splitting the routes enabled frequencies to go up, which is a known catalyst for patronage growth, of which we have realised the benefit.

It appears that the Olympus will now not be arriving at Wycombe.

Why? No cascades can happen until Leicester's electric vehicles are in service. The plan remains fluid.

4210,4211 and 4212 have been in the workshop since early this week getting the last bits of work for their new roles almost exclusively on the Reading routes. They are sterling buses but could probably do with a repaint and return.

Why would we paint these vehicles? Your other specific points about fleet have been raised with the local team.

The new numbers look ridiculous especially as the former 300 isn’t an express route. I get the method of thinking, a sort of interurban route lining two major towns but that’s what the X30 does.

Patronage on the X20 seems to be picking up probably because of the nice warm Volvos in comparison to the rattly cold Citaros which are now a regular feat on the X7 (280). Sublime.

I really question the direction of this company, nobody in Wycombe is buying any of these mooted changes. What the place needs is better buses, not leaflets outlining enhanced services with unreliable buses and with that said there’s not even enough drivers to cover this all.

The decline of this company and the rise of Redline amazes me honestly. It’s like watching someone put on their shoes first and then attempting to put on their trousers.

You've noted that you understand the method of thinking. The X9/X90 makes more sense than the X30 when it ran in tandem with the 30, which ran to Downley. Sorry that you feel that "the new numbers look ridiculous" - our rationale is to make the network attractive to new bus customers by making it simple, joined up and logical. All of us can be guilty of being nostalgic or reminiscent of what was, but we need to innovate in ways that have proven to support customer growth - that's the most important ambition for us to realise.

We operate in a competitive market between the X7 and X20 - our role is to make our product attractive to the current market and to non-bus customers, as I'm sure the other operator strives towards. Implementing a simpler, fresher network that gets the foundations right in order for us to proactively promote should contribute to that endeavour.

The costs of leaflets are far less than purchase price of new vehicles.

I've noted that paper timetables of Arriva's upcoming X-prefixed routes in January were available at High Wycombe bus station yesterday, plenty distributed throughout the concourse. Nice to see paper timetables make a slight comeback.

Indeed, and I was able to pick up one at Oxford Rail station this morning; Well done Arriva for distributing them so widely.

Thanks both. We've had an impressive uptake of this literature - reaffirming that there is definitely still a demand for print!

The 800/850/X80 affected by flooding in Henley this morning not helping. The depot is still a few vehicles short of being able to provide a full service, missing boards on 2/12 and 10/13.

Not convinced about the service changes. The 11/800/850 seem to need an extra vehicle due to extended journey times, but it was only a handful of peak journeys which normally got regularly late. There will be an awful lot of hanging around now. And baffled by the 850 starting its day at 7.40 in Reading- surely there is demand for an inbound journey at that time when it’s coming in anyway, even if only from Twyford!

Hopefully the flooding in Henley (and Wargrave) will subside relatively quickly. The depot have managed this well over the past few days; disruption has been kept to a minimum.

I'd be keen to understand why you're not convinced regarding the service changes, a judgement reached before lunchtime on the first full day of service - we've added additional time where it is required as a direct result of customer feedback, punctuality tracking and increased dwell through additional patronage; the route has grown substantially. Buses haven't been hanging around or running early; journeys are progressing well to ensure prompt departures on 800/850. I understand from your previous posts that you've raised concerns with the 11 running late. Interworking the service with the 800/850 is a necessary endeavour for duty efficiency so won't change - so please could you detail what issues we should look into.

It's more cost efficient to dead-run the 07:40 from Reading as this is the primary with-flow movement, and there haven't (as proved historically) been enough customers to support the commercial viability of running a journey to Reading. Happy to revisit this if you feel that this is required - all feedback should be channelled through Arriva's customer services.

Last edited:

RELL6L

Whilst today's Greenline network is far different from what it was historically, the prestige of the brand has evolved to epitomise the 757; an identity that we're proud to carry, and will carry into the future.

The fleet in High Wycombe needs some love, but our fleet plan is in progress. The Optare Versas that were injected into the fleet a little while ago have been well received by our team and our customers.

The network has enjoyed double-digit customer growth since the introduction of the new routes and frequencies, all delivered in a more efficient package - I'd argue that this is a vote in confidence, not a lack of faith. It doesn't mean that everything's perfect, and I've been fully transparent about our service delivery challenges, which are not unique to just Arriva. Appreciate that this point is repeated - we cannot simply "get a new fleet of vehicles". To replace the fleet at High Wycombe would cost somewhere in the region of £10m. Who is paying for that? Do we increase our fares significantly to pay for this, or do we cut the PVR requirement to have a handful of new buses? Simple economics mean that we must use the full fleet strength in the most efficient way possible. Mid-life and fully depreciated vehicles have their place in the fleet mix. We're progressing with injecting better buses, but these are part of a wider cascade that are enabled by other new vehicles coming live, which hasn't happened yet.

A change of owner doesn't mean that the issues articulated go away. It's also very frustrating to hear the place is run from Leicester. This couldn't be further from the truth. It's locally managed by a dedicated team who help feed into the network strategy as well as strive to deliver the best possible service, every day - I can't exaggerate the efforts they make to keep buses moving. The back-office elements of technical input are managed in the same way as Stagecoach, First, Go Ahead and other big groups do; why wouldn't you centralise non-localised activities that would otherwise cause inefficiency at a depot level?

This is by no means a slight at Carousel - but they've injected some ex-London vehicles that aren't in the local livery to help prop-up fleet availability after winning a handful of contracts. This absolutely makes sense; and I'm sure they too have a plan for their local fleet which'll take time to implement.

The very small number of customers who travelled across town on the previous 32/33 were majoritarily season ticket holders, which was a rationale behind the decision. Splitting the routes enabled frequencies to go up, which is a known catalyst for patronage growth, of which we have realised the benefit.

Why? No cascades can happen until Leicester's electric vehicles are in service. The plan remains fluid.

Why would we paint these vehicles? Your other specific points about fleet have been raised with the local team.

You've noted that you understand the method of thinking. The X9/X90 makes more sense than the X30 when it ran in tandem with the 30, which ran to Downley. Sorry that you feel that "the new numbers look ridiculous" - our rationale is to make the network attractive to new bus customers by making it simple, joined up and logical. All of us can be guilty of being nostalgic or reminiscent of what was, but we need to innovate in ways that have proven to support customer growth - that's the most important ambition for us to realise.

We operate in a competitive market between the X7 and X20 - our role is to make our product attractive to the current market and to non-bus customers, as I'm sure the other operator strives towards. Implementing a simpler, fresher network that gets the foundations right in order for us to proactively promote should contribute to that endeavour.

The costs of leaflets are far less than purchase price of new vehicles.

Thanks both. We've had an impressive uptake of this literature - reaffirming that there is definitely still a demand for print!

Hopefully the flooding in Henley (and Wargrave) will subside relatively quickly. The depot have managed this well over the past few days; disruption has been kept to a minimum.

I'd be keen to understand why you're not convinced regarding the service changes, a judgement reached before lunchtime on the first full day of service - we've added additional time where it is required as a direct result of customer feedback, punctuality tracking and increased dwell through additional patronage; the route has grown substantially. Buses haven't been hanging around or running early; journeys are progressing well to ensure prompt departures on 800/850. I understand from your previous posts that you've raised concerns with the 11 running late. Interworking the service with the 800/850 is a necessary endeavour for duty efficiency so won't change - so please could you detail what issues we should look into.

It's more cost efficient to dead-run the 07:40 from Reading as this is the primary with-flow movement, and there haven't (as proved historically) been enough customers to support the commercial viability of running a journey to Reading. Happy to revisit this if you feel that this is required - all feedback should be channelled through Arriva's customer services.

I don't think I could be convinced either way by lunchtime on the first day although I do think the way the workings ran yesterday gives better resilience. For the avoidance of doubt I am in favour of the extra early, evening and Sunday journeys and I agree with splitting the 2/12 and 3/13, even though the 2/12 often run the same as the old 32 did, sometimes it doesn't and the current position gives much more scope to swap things around and regulate the services without throwing passengers off mid journey. I am sure some 2 and 3 passengers would like to get closer to the High Street and station but its OK as is. I also totally see why the 11 is interworked with the 800/850, makes very good sense. I note the troubled 11 from Penn, now at 14.50, still arrived at the bus station 16 minutes late and its revised next journey, yesterday the 5A, departed 16 minutes late. But it arrived at Bourne End on time! Some journeys make up a lot of lost time when they start late - look at 3012 on the 07.40 from Wycombe on 2 January - half an hour late leaving Wycombe, on time by Henley! Back to the 11 at 14.50 - does it take lots of school passengers at Hazlemere or would it be better missing out the loop on school days and getting the next journey to take them?

I accept you have the data on timings and on passenger flows. I am surprised, given there are no trains direct from Henley to Reading, that there is no demand for a bus arriving between 06.50 and 08.15, but accept your analysis.

Some of the buses I said only yesterday were missing have now re-emerged, including 2326 (tracked for 3 minutes), 2953 and 4210, but not 4211 and 4212 nor the two Citaros. Today I followed 3010 on suspended tow mid morning, and I think this broke down yesterday as well. I take the point on the cost of new vehicles but they either need more spares to keep them patched up or something newer. Roll on the electrics at Leicester so we can get some better cascades.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
I would agree the 724 is nothing special anymore, operated by standard 10 year old buses doesn't help it stand out from the crowd. In fact in terms of comfort the 301 often gets better quality buses.

I digress, some of the buses have being painted into a special "Greenline" livery. so even on the 724 the brand lives on. But when you go around the region it isn't made to feel anyway a premium service in the way the arriva saphire used to be.

At least it doesn't stop everywhere, but I wouldn't be brave enough to use it to get to Heathrow.

Verulamius

This morning I saw a Wigan based bus (going by the graphics on the side and back) on the 302 route in St Albans.

greenline712

I went out on Wednesday 10 January to have a look at some of the new Arriva Connexions routes around Aylesbury. My first journey started off badly, as the 0915 X5 from Hemel Hempstead to Aylesbury broke down with “frozen air pipes” according to the driver.

After 30 minutes in the sun, the bus started up and the driver was instructed to run dead to Aylesbury to resume his place in the circuit. Probably a reasonable decision, although the next bus was 10 minutes late, so some passengers had a long wait (in very cold conditions).

The 0945 departure left at 0956, and arrived into Aylesbury at 1100, so still 10 minutes late . . . the running time looks about right, even though there were obviously two trips worth of passengers to be accommodated. The driver was good, although possibly over-cautious, although that’s a personal judgement (based on passing my PSV test in 1979!).

There were timetable leaflets on both the X5 bus and my next bus, the X9 to High Wycombe at 1140. Regrettably, no leaflets were available in the Bus Station, nor next door in the Library or at County Hall . . . perhaps a rack could be placed near the coffee stall at AY Bus Station, and the proprietors asked to keep an eye? The old Enquiry Office was plastered with adverts for the previous route network, which needs replacing (early days yet, though). Similarly the deckers I travelled on had the cove panels covered with adverts for Route 280 . . . again, something to deal with?

My X9 departed on time, just after a 130 (one of the Aylesbury Reds group) . . . loadings were very light all through to High Wycombe, and we waited time for around 10 minutes at various locations along the route; eventually arriving into HW 4 minutes early. I doubt that we carried 10 passengers . . . with the 130 taking around 20 minutes less, passengers will go for the faster bus every time, especially as the fare is £2 whichever bus is used.

I’d say that the running time desperately needs looking at on Route X9 . . . indeed, I’d almost suggest getting Buckingham County Council to act as “honest broker” to co-ordinate frequencies at 2 BPH (buses per hour) on each route; X9 doesn’t seem to need 3 BPH, and 130 at 4 BPH is hugely over-bussed.

On a positive note . . . plenty of the new Arriva timetable leaflets were in evidence at Wycombe (as were Carousel’s leaflets), and I didn’t notice any missing departures on the Arriva routes, although I was only there for 45 minutes. I’d also just mention that the e-displays and printed summaries and bus stop timetables in both bus stations were all up to date . . . well done Bucks CC!

To get home, I caught the Carousel 1 at 1330 through to Hemel Hempstead . . . a pleasant surprise, as we left Wycombe with 35 passengers on board . . . around 7 of which travelled through to Hemel! The driver was appalling . . . sharp acceleration; very fierce braking, not waiting for passengers to sit down. A passenger actually called him out on his driving, after which he drove more smoothly.

I daresay @arrivamatt may not like some of my comments, but I make them in the spirit of informing, not criticizing . . . Arriva are to be commended in at least “having a go”, instead of sitting on their hands . . . in the same way that FirstBus went down before bouncing back, maybe we’re seeing something similar? Time will tell . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Edvid

Established Member
That's good to hear. And on that note...

Arriva has retained the tender for its Greenline coach service running from Luton Airport

The bus operator has maintained its position as a leading transport provider from the airport to London.

London Luton Airport has awarded the tender to Greenline by Arriva so it will continue to run its 757 coach service from Luton, to the airport and to London Victoria station. Arriva’s Greenline coaches have been connecting Luton Airport with central London since the airport first opened in 1938 and the current 757 service has operated for more than 40 years.

Based at Arriva’s Luton depot, the coach service consists of a high-quality, reliable fleet of Mercedes Tourismo Euro 6 coaches, driven by a dedicated team of 27 drivers. The Greenline 757 service runs up every 30 minutes and transports airport staff, airline passengers and commuters from the town to the airport and to London. Arriva is Luton’s main bus operator and a major employer in the town, undertaking more than 90% of bus passengers journeys there.

The renewal of the Greenline 757 will start in March 2024 and will run for the next five years, with a potential two-year extension to seven years.

Chris Burley, Arriva South’s commercial director, said: “We are delighted to carry on Greenline’s close relationship with London Luton Airport.

“The 757 route is well-established and we review it regularly to make sure it’s meeting the needs of airport customers. It’s good to see that the airport appreciates the consistency and reliability of the service and it’s something we’re proud to run. Over the course of this renewed contract period, we also plan to actively explore and trial new technologies, which can make the service even better, especially for the environment as our ambition is to make public transport the best option for passengers.”

Jonathan Rayner, chief commercial officer at London Luton Airport, added: “London Luton Airport and Greenline share a proud history and we’re delighted to be celebrating another new chapter together.

“With more services to and from central London and an increased off-peak service to Bricket Wood, all stopping directly in front of the terminal door, getting to and from the airport by public transport is now even easier. Encouraging more sustainable journeys is a key priority for us and we look forward to working with Greenline on future initiatives that match our ambition and complement our simple and friendly passenger experience.”

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Now does that sort of thing work, they have been awarded a contract to keep running their commercial service? What? It's not an exclusivity agreement either as NatEx runs Luton Airport to London so what tender have they won exactly? Sounds odd. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.
In very much the same manner as the route from Bristol Airport to Bristol. First has the contract with Bristol Airport with the tender specifying certain operational and commercial aspects, such as vehicle type/capacity, frequency, hours of operation, as well as ensuring a revenue stream to the Airport.

Doesn't mean exclusivity as Stagecoach's SW Falcon calls in and provides an alternative though, in practice, the vast majority will still get the A1, especially as the Bristol Airport splash page has a prominent link to the Flyer, not the Falcon.

I know that other posters, not you, have complained in the past that this leads to disproportionately high fares but in reality, it is part of the pricing model for discount airlines along with other drip pricing methods.

greenline712

Luton Airport Limited charge access fees for all bus operators. As it is on (nominally) private land, they are able to do this (and, yes, I am aware that the Borough of Luton is also involved in the ownership, but that's muddying already murky waters!)
Luton Airport, back in the dim and distant past, issued a "tender" for access to their land by a coach service to London. Arriva the Shires were the original operators, through their 757 Green Line service. In around 2012, the Airport called for new tenders, and AtS failed to secure the market, such that National Express won the "right" to operate and to publicise their service. AtS didn't simply withdraw, and I think there was a court case involved, in which the Airport were told that they didn't have the right to insist on one operator having exclusivity, and had to allow 757 back in. That was in 2013.
It all got very messy, and I may have simplified things a bit, but that's the gist of it.

So, what has now occurred is that Arriva (whichever operator now runs Luton - I've lost track) has renewed their access agreement for another five years. I daresay that National Express will probably put out a press release trumpeting their similar success soon!

There was a thread on this forum: Arriva Green Line 757 to stop serving Luton Airport, now long "closed for future replies". A lot on there was speculation; be aware that any chatter about EasyBus; WizzAir and so on was simply fluff; Green Line accepted their tickets; nothing more.

HTH.

markymark2000

On Moderation
In very much the same manner as the route from Bristol Airport to Bristol. First has the contract with Bristol Airport with the tender specifying certain operational and commercial aspects, such as vehicle type/capacity, frequency, hours of operation, as well as ensuring a revenue stream to the Airport.
I get the feeling that this is quite a different agreement to that of Bristol. It may not be but it seems.

LA, back in the dim and distant past, issued a "tender" for access to their land by a coach service to London. Arriva the Shires were the original operators, through their 757 Green Line service. In around 2012, the Airport called for new tenders, and AtS failed to secure the market, such that National Express won the "right" to operate and to publicise their service. AtS didn't simply withdraw, and I think there was a court case involved, in which the Airport were told that they didn't have the right to insist on one operator having exclusivity, and had to allow 757 back in . . . that was in 2013.
It all got very messy, and I may have simplified things a bit . . . but that's the gist of it.
So essentially, rather than just charging departure fees like a normal bus station would, they are doing tenders for access but giving everyone access. Sounds like bureaucracy for bureaucracy sake. Everyone is putting in tenders to operate a service which could exist anyway under normal conditions of paying departure fees (The same as the 100, MK1, Fastway etc etc).

greenline712

I get the feeling that this is quite a different agreement to that of Bristol. It may not be but it seems.

So essentially, rather than just charging departure fees like a normal bus station would, they are doing tenders for access but giving everyone access. Sounds like bureaucracy for bureaucracy sake. Everyone is putting in tenders to operate a service which could exist anyway under normal conditions of paying departure fees (The same as the 100, MK1, Fastway etc etc).
Erm, charging operators for access rights AND the ability to have a sales office inside the terminal. I have maybe over-simplified matters, and it was 10+ years ago.
The market is pretty large, especially early mornings; flights depart just after 6am, which means 4am check-in, which is when the trains don't run! For that reason, GreenLine and National Express pay the fees!
Not that dissimilar to Bristol, and I suspect most major airports.

Last edited by a moderator: