• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva North East staff strike ballot

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

Hundreds of bus workers in Northumberland could strike later this spring, Unite the union announced today (5 March 2024).

Over 300 Unite members who work as drivers and engineers across Northumberland are being balloted for industrial action after rejecting a pay increase of just four per cent from their employer, Arriva Northumberland.

The ballot opens today (Tuesday 5 March) and closes on 19 March. Workers at other bus companies in the area, such as Go North East, have had substantial increases following campaigns by Unite.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Arriva’s behaviour is deplorable; this is a profitable company which has been caught red handed trying to inflict a real terms pay cut on its workforce “Arriva is making a grave mistake if it thinks it can undervalue the importance our members bring to the company. Without them there is no bus company, their pay and conditions must reflect the work that they do day in and day out.

“The Arriva workers have the full backing of Unite in this fight for a decent pay rise.”

The pay anniversary for workers was in January and February this year, the workers are continuing to struggle with a cost-of-living crisis with inflation remaining high. Arriva drivers are currently the lowest paid out of the three main operators in Tyne & Wear. The best-paid drivers earn less than those employed by Go North East and Stagecoach. Arriva also has a history of below-inflation pay offers meaning workers are becoming worse off every year. Arriva is currently owned by German transport giant Deutsche Bahn (DB) and it made profits of £2.4 million in 2022. It is due to be sold imminently to an investment firm called I Squared Capital.

Unite regional officer Dave Telford said: “This ballot will demonstrate the strength of ill-feeling at Arriva over the poor pay offer they’ve offered our members when energy bills and mortgages have gone through the roof. Unite will be backing them 100 per cent.”

Unite’s members are based at the Blythe and Ashington depots.

-ENDS-

Hoping this dispute is solved soon, I'll be using Arriva NE quite a bit whilst on holiday in Northumberland at the end of this month, so hoping I won't be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I will be directly affected by this, they are the only buses that serve me.

The drivers have 100% support from me, awful company to work for. I know this because I used to drive for them. Never again.

Their Facebook pages mention the strike but discussion is verboten. So people discuss it in the none strike threads.

Loads of cancellations every day although not at the level of the closure of Jesmond. Yet.

Easter weekend and they are encouraging people to get out and about in Northumberland, there is no way I would want to be 30 miles from no where and reliant on them choosing to run their service.

When you think about what Northumbria/ Arriva Northumbria had.

Hexham now GNE.

Gallowgate, Jesmond, Whitley Bay, Morpeth, Alnwick, Berwick, all gone, there may be more I missed.

Only Blyth and Ashington left.

Edit today 3/4/24
Just heard another offer from the company to be voted on by the staff.

Last edited:

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

Strikes by Unite members at Arriva Northumbria have been suspended after the employer made a new offer, it was announced today (3 March)

Strike action by drivers and engineers, unhappy at being the lowest-paid bus employees in the region, was due to begin on Sunday 7 April for one week. Members are being balloted on Thursday 4 and Friday 5 April this week and, regardless of the outcome, strikes the following week have been suspended.

Should members accept the offer, all remaining action will also be cancelled. If the offer is rejected, remaining industrial action would resume on 21 April for one week with the possibility of additional dates.

Unite regional officer Dave Telford said:
"As a good-will gesture we have called off strike action while our members consider a new offer from Arriva. But there should be no underestimation of the level of ill-feeling towards the company after the initial pay offer of just 4 per cent. Given Arriva Northumbria pays the lowest wages in the region our members have grounds for their unhappiness."

For clarity, the press release was from 3rd April and not 3rd March as on Unite's website, 3rd March must've been a typo.

But very positive news, let's hope an agreement can be reached soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanNCL

Established Member
"Arriva Northumbria pays the lowest wages in the region" erm... According to the very same Unite branch it's instead Go North East that pays the lowest, make up their minds!

Just to note, Arriva Northumbria is separate from Arriva North East which is the County Durham/Teesside operation and not part of this dispute.

Mollman

Established Member
Arriva strike has been called off.
Bus drivers and engineers have agreed a pay deal with their employer, putting an end to potential strikes.
Unite members at Arriva North East have agreed a 6.1% pay increase.
Staff had planned to strike on 21 April but the action was called off after Arriva came back to the negotiating table.
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said staff would now receive a "significant and well-deserved pay increase".
Arriva had previously offered staff a 4% rise, but about about 300 workers voted to walk out over the offer.
Unite said the new offer matched the best bus company pay in the region.
https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/...agree-pay-deal-to-end-threat-of-strike-action