Arriva's welsh bus operations excused from CRB checks

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by anthony263, 25 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

Ridiculous. I have CRBs for both Southend and Bath, and see no reason why I should need two if they don't? As per usual, Arriva are cheating the system at others' expense. And that is said without bias; with would be something else...

Besides, £36 isn't all that much in practice. Even if six or seven were needed, it would only come to £216/£252 - but it would come with greater potential for opportunity and would surely be worth that amount in the long run.

4. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

I wonder if we will see any of the other big bus groups copying arriva?

5. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

It does seem rather bizarre to require multiple CRB checks of the same person.

Surely all they need is the results of a CRB check within the last x months?

6. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

This is a bizarre story indeed. There is absolutely no need, as far as I can see, for drivers to have seperate CRB's for each local authority area they pass through.

7. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Is the law in Wales any different to that in England with regard to CRB checks and what is the maximum length of time that any CRB check retains its validity?

Once granted, I had assumed that a CRB check would have no geographical county boundaries in the country it was issued, but would be acceptable in any area.

8. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

It would make sense to have one CRB check for the area the school is in.

I've never applied for a CRB check but have been interviewed for jobs that have required them and have always got the impression that it's the local police force for the area where you are living that need to run the check, not the police force for the area where you are intending to work.

I don't know if it's any different in Wales or where you work directly with children.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2011
  9. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

It would make sense to have one for the contract for all the schools - otherwise you'll still need to same driver to have an additional check just because he may drive a different route.

CRBs in general are a good idea but there seem to be daft implementations of the rules on where they're required.

I had to have whatever the equivalent in 1996 was when I used to help out at a youth club - that was fair enough. I'd have felt it daft if I'd needed another one if I'd helped out on, say, a different evening.

10. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

I've been checked in the past, but I am ignorant of the actual procedure (I just know that I passed, not what they actually checked)...

...but I'd assume that they'd check "nationally" for any misdemeanours? I mean, if I had convictions in South Yorkshire, these would still surely show up if I applied for a job in Derbyshire? In which case I can't see why anyone would ever need to be "checked" twice in any (prescribed) time period? Strange...

To me it seems like a duplication of bureaucracy, adding to costs, delaying things, because of minor risks (understandable to have some protection, of course, but the current legislation is over the top if it needs this many checks on the same person)

11. richw

richw Established Member

I referee rugby, and am CRB registered with the RFU, yet my referee dept CRB cant be transferred or cross referenced to my coaching.
    Apparently the UK rejected a wide one CRB certificate does all, as it will cost more to admin!
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    You have to provide a government issued proof of i.d (passport, photocard driving licence etc) and an approved proof of address such as utilities bill etc

12. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

The law is the same in Wales as it is in England. Technically, a CRB check is only 'valid' up to the time of issue. However, most orgnaisations will accept a recent check (as in a few months),

I should imagine that is the intention. These councils seem to be doing nothing other than adding expense and bureacracy for no good reason.

There are two types of CRB check, standard and enhanced. We only do enhanced checks at my place of work, so I am a little vague about the differences!

13. fairysdad

fairysdad Member

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
    It doesn't even work like that mostly (I know you're talking slightly different here) - you need one for each organisation you work/volunteer for. Even then it can get silly - in a past life, I worked for Devon Libraries (run by Devon County Council) and had a CRB for that, I also did stuff with Devon Youth Service (also run by DCC) and had to have yet another CRB for that. At the same time, I also had to have one done for work (in an FE college), as part of the PTA at little'un's school (also DCC come to think of it) and my church...

14. ReverendFozz

ReverendFozz Member

Until last year I was Vice Chairman of a young persons charity in Durham, I had to go through the Enhanced Disclosure which means you must disclose all crimes regardless of whether they are spent or not, I got my first CRB done in 2002 in Durham, and although I do have a record I was given the benefit of the doubt in Durham, within days Sunderland Council barred me from doing a Youth Work Qualification after they CRB'd me, I personally think it is stupid needing get seperate checks in different areas, e.g. If one authority wants to save money going thru the process, they could just phone up other agencies e.g in my case Sunderland could easily could Durham County Council to cross check my CRB, that should be brought in as an option, cross checks can be done within a timescale.of say 3-6 month

15. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

My understanding of the differences is enhanced would be for anyone working at a school/leisure centre etc. where they will likely come in to contact with vulnerable people. However, if you're working at some council offices in a non-public facing role or equivalent they might use the standard level.

16. 185

185 Established Member

Disgusting. All the little operators who paid out are struggling whilst that greedy vulture gets away with it.

Arriva Cymru = Gwasnaeth Perverts

17. ChrisCooper

ChrisCooper Established Member

There are 3 levels of checks:

Basic which just shows unspent convictions

Standard which shows up all convictions, spent or unspent.

Enchanced which show up everything in a standard and also anything else that the police feel they should include. They are the most controversial as they can include everything from charged but found not guilty to investigations that did not lead to an arrest. Only convictions can be disclosed to the applicant too, which means that there is no chance to contest information which could be false or innacurate.

18. PaulLothian

PaulLothian Member

My understanding is that disclosure is tied to your employer and type of employment, rather than to the geographical area in which you work while working for that employer.

I have an advanced disclosure in Scotland, obtained by the council I work for, and do not have to have a separate disclosure if home-visiting one of our clients who has moved out of our council area.

Or maybe the regulations are totally different in Wales...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.