• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashley Down station construction updates

zwk500

Veteran Member
Given the advanced state of the platforms and that the bridge is due to be installed in late August, I'd be very interested to understand why a 2024 opening date is being indicated? What tasks will need to take place and why will they take so long?
Wiring (Lighting and PIS), testing, commissioning, connections back to control systems, safety verification. Any work that requires being within close proximity of a running line will need to wait for possessions that have to be spaced out to mitigate disruption to other railway customers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Given the advanced state of the platforms and that the bridge is due to be installed in late August, I'd be very interested to understand why a 2024 opening date is being indicated? What tasks will need to take place and why will they take so long?
Having it open in 2024 (even on 31/12) will be like lightning compared with a few other recent projects (including one about 5 miles away!)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Passed through today. Not the best photos as we were on the mainlines.
Platrorms look relatively complete and fencing beginning to appear adjacent to the up Filton main.
0354FCA7-FDDB-46A1-9BAF-421D356158BD.jpeg278A2005-890F-4EE2-B11E-8F3519DD288C.jpeg

Western Sunset

Established Member
They're using the old gasworks site off Lockleaze Road as a compound to store materials. The platform sections were being taken to the new station via on-track plant. This was the view last Thursday, so obviously they've been getting a move on.

Attachments

• P1470849 (2).JPG
    P1470849 (2).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 95

WesternBiker

A summary video also from NR here: https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1668652750115053568?s=20

As can be seen from the opening images, there's a fair old way to go with the footbridge, lifts, cladding, lighting, PIS screens/help point and CCTV systems all to install and commission.
But the modular platform design has to be the way to go - as they say with ducting and drainage integrated. (It reminds me of my old Hornby station platforms.)

zwk500

Veteran Member
But the modular platform design has to be the way to go - as they say with ducting and drainage integrated. (It reminds me of my old Hornby station platforms.)
Oh absolutely, makes it very quick to install. Once you've got the platform edge in you can erect a fence on the platform (if you need it) and work behind it for all the platform furniture.

tigerroar

On Moderation
I had no idea that this was actually being built, just thought it was in the planning stage and it would take a Portishead branch amount of time to become a reality. It's ideally placed for the cricket ground but even then I'm led to believe that Gloucester trains won't stop there. Is there a justifiable reason for this?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I had no idea that this was actually being built, just thought it was in the planning stage and it would take a Portishead branch amount of time to become a reality. It's ideally placed for the cricket ground but even then I'm led to believe that Gloucester trains won't stop there. Is there a justifiable reason for this?
From what has been said the plan is an hourly regular service (likely the current Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood service) with a half hourly service in the peaks. I'm not sure if it has been said publicly which services would provide the extra calls in the peak but some of the Gloucester services would be one of the options.

Given I now live close to the station, I'd love for a more frequent service all through the day but I'd imagine that has to be considered along with the impact on existing journey times / paths and the (now pretty dire) rolling stock situation. But I do have a concern that once open the local political pressure will move elsewhere and any future frequency improvements just don't happen (and that concern is a real one given how other inner city stations not on the Severn Beach line, like Bedminster, have been treated).

Snow1964

Established Member

According to the final state route map on this link, will be served by the Bristol TM - Filton- Henbury trains (which is currently a shuttle to Filton Abbey Wood) and the Henbury - Portishead trains (the light blue routes on the map. Not the two Gloucester routes (light green, dark green)

Plans presumably changed because the 2015 route map, which is still on the info on Henbury station webpage, shows a service calling at Ashley Down to Yate (with possible Gloucester extension)

Last edited:

tigerroar

On Moderation
But given that stopping trains won't impede faster ones on the newly restored fast lines I'd love to hear the industry explanation why Gloucester trains don't or can't stop there, I've been on one from Gloucester to BTM that stopped everywhere en route, one extra stop won't make a difference!

Odd, just checking RTT and no Gloucester trains seem to stop at either Lawrence Hill or Stapleton Road!

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
At least some of the Gloucester/Bristol T.M. trains run via the Up Filton Main / Down Filton Main…
That's as maybe... but do they need to run fast line? i.e. could they make some more local stops?
(Although sometimes longer distance locals shouldn't stop everywhere - like the Manchester to Crewe locals stopping at Levenshume and Heaton Chapel... Grrr!)

tigerroar

On Moderation
To be fair, the time I remember stopping there was when I went to the HST 40th birthday at SPM so the fast line hadn't been restored at that time, whether that makes a difference. Looks like if I want to go to the cricket I'll have to change at FAW.

pdeaves

Established Member
That's as maybe... but do they need to run fast line? i.e. could they make some more local stops?
(Although sometimes longer distance locals shouldn't stop everywhere - like the Manchester to Crewe locals stopping at Levenshume and Heaton Chapel... Grrr!)
It's a permanent problem. 'Everyone' wants any given train (or bus or whatever) to call where they want to board/leave, but run virtually non-stop in between...
I'd love to hear the industry explanation why Gloucester trains don't or can't stop there
One reason is, if you add a stop it messes things up at Gloucester (especially as the timetable has to allow for Charfield now). On the Yate-Gloucester section, fast and slow trains run each other down. I am sure someone could give the fine detail better than I could.

tigerroar

On Moderation
I've been on a GWR service that pulled over to let a XC one overtake at Charfield. That was a first for me!

Annetts key

Established Member
It’s possible to cross from the relief lines to the main lines or vice a versa at the ladder crossovers at Horfield. But what is possible, what is logical and what the railway actually does are all different things…

Of course, if the money was spent on providing platforms for the main lines…

jazzy

Does anybody know what progress there's been since the posession? There are no updates online and the work site is almost impossible to view...

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Here are some photos taken today of the down platform. The first shows the Bristol end of the platform which is relatively complete with fencing minus fixtures and fittings.
A341132E-8487-474E-BCE9-A4757F3F891A.jpeg
The second shows the Filton end, although the platform is complete the fencing is yet to be completed. In the centre of the platform the gap for the lifts and footbridge can be seen.
ADA2D6A3-DA34-4B2F-9DB2-F64F788944B3.jpeg

zwk500

Veteran Member
Here are some photos taken today of the down platform. The first shows the Bristol end of the platform which is relatively complete with fencing minus fixtures and fittings.

The second shows the Filton end, although the platform is complete the fencing is yet to be completed. In the centre of the platform the gap for the lifts and footbridge can be seen.
Those pictures show the concrete units to be so smooth it took half a second to make sure it wasn't an Artist's Render! (The Castle power car confirming it's a genuine photo :lol:). Also, those widths are very generous considering what Thanet Parkway gets.

Annetts key

Established Member
Thank you @Ashley Hill.

I passed through this area today, but was too busy dealing with another matter, so did not have an opportunity to look at the current state of play.

jazzy

Are the bridge and lifts still scheduled to be installed during a blockade in August? I can't see any mention of planned engineering in that area on the GWR site...

Last edited:

Sean Emmett

Not sure if this is the base for the footbridge, or something else? Pic from Wed eve.

Attachments

• 20230802_183112.jpg
    20230802_183112.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 93

The exile

Established Member
Are the bridge and lifts still scheduled to be installed during a blockade in August? I can't see any mention of planned engineering in that area on the GWR site...
Do they need a 4 track blockade? If not, there might be little effect on services beyond the odd platform change at Filton.

jazzy

I don’t think you could block the two lines of Ashley Down and still have Temple Meads - Filton Abbey Wood trains calling at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road? The track layout doesn’t support it?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I don’t think you could block the two lines of Ashley Down and still have Temple Meads - Filton Abbey Wood trains calling at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road? The track layout doesn’t support it?
That is my understanding too. When they did the initial blockage a month or two ago those services either didn't run or skipped those stations (can't remember which now).

jazzy

So what happened to the previously communicated blockade? How dare things change!