• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashley Down station construction updates

Annetts key

Established Member
If the relief lines are closed through Ashley Down station, the only trains that can call at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road stations are the trains to/from the Clifton Down line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
If the relief lines are closed through Ashley Down station, the only trains that can call at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road stations are the trains to/from the Clifton Down line.
Thus demonstrating the short-sightedness of not giving Stapleton Road platforms on the mains - especially since the one on the up main was basically already there and no further footbridge /access would be needed for the down main.

Annetts key

Established Member
Thus demonstrating the short-sightedness of not giving Stapleton Road platforms on the mains - especially since the one on the up main was basically already there and no further footbridge /access would be needed for the down main.
Before work started on the “four tracking” the platforms for both the Up Filton Main and the Down Filton Main were still there. Yes, rather worse for wear in places due to no maintenance having been done and damage done by road vehicles using the (former) track bed.

Meerkat

Established Member
That would be an incredibly poor use of funds. It won’t be needed often and just have a stoppers bus replacement.

The exile

Established Member
That would be an incredibly poor use of funds. It won’t be needed often and just have a stoppers bus replacement.
I wasn’t meaning just when the reliefs are not in use. Stapleton Road has the potential to be a significant interchange between the Severn Beach and Gloucester/Cardiff services - as well as local bus services, sitting as it does right on top of a radial bus route, which can probably get people to bits of central Bristol quicker than going via Temple Meads. Just needs a bit of that joined up thinking which is oh, so in-British.

jazzy

It looks like preparations are well underway for the bridge and lifts….

Attachments

• IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 114

tigerroar

On Moderation
It's amazing how I've wanted something like this to come along for such a long time to make it so much easier to get to the cricket ground yet at this time I feel totally disenfranchised with the team both on and off the field. Typical!

Nick Ashwell

Really hoping this goes well, the location would help a lot of people into better educational opportunities.

Is there any update from the whole of 24 for opening? As in an estimated season?

jazzy

Is there any update from the whole of 24 for opening? As in an estimated season?
Not a jot, both the on-line and on-site info hasn’t been updated for about six months. The wrinkled paper on the board on the worksite shows the site pre-platforms…

Sean Emmett

The on-site blurb I posted in May gives autumn 2023 as date for installation of the station footbridge. Unchanged when I looked a week or so ago.

But last time I looked on National Rail for planned engineering works, nothing was showing for Filton bank this autumn.

Was not aware a specific date had been quoted. What's the source for that please?

jazzy

A little more progress with the preparation for the bridge, it looks like all the supports are in place now.

A little more progress with the preparation for the bridge, it looks like all the supports are in place now.
The lift shafts have arrived now…

Attachments

• IMG_7564.JPEG
    IMG_7564.JPEG
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7623.jpeg
    IMG_7623.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member

jazzy

I'm not daring to be optimistic. Apart from the bridge, it looks very close to finished but I'm aware the surrounding area is a muddy mess so there will be a lot of work to do with the paths and steps that the completed design will feature...

Sean Emmett

Yep footbridge progressing well, pic from this evening.

Attachments

• 20231005_180759.jpg
    20231005_180759.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 84

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not sure if this is new to others, but certainly was to me, the TravelWest page about the station (https://travelwest.info/projects/ashley-down-station/) has been updated fairly recently, mentioning the progress this year including the recent addition of the lift shafts and stating the footbridge is due to go in over the Christmas period.

Works to construct the station commenced in March 2023 and are currently programmed to be complete in 2024. We have achieved significant progress this year, including the full installation of the station’s two platforms during the summer, as well as the installation of the two lift shafts and their foundations. The next big milestone will be the installation of the footbridge over the Christmas period, followed by glazing of the footbridge and work to fit out the station with electrics, furniture and equipment.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I don't know this part of Bristol, but I note from the map linked to by Baxenden Bank above, that the area is called "Ashley Down" & the road through it is called "Ashley Down Road".

It makes you wonder why the old station was called "Ashley HILL" in the first place; just the railway being the railway I suppose.
So we'll have an Ashley Down Road, and, on the railway, an Ashley Down down road and an Ashley Down up road...

Annetts key

Established Member
So we'll have an Ashley Down Road, and, on the railway, an Ashley Down down road and an Ashley Down up road...
Except as you are probably aware, the lines are Up Filton Relief, Down Filton Relief, Up Filton Main and Down Filton Main :)

But good attempt :lol:

By the way, if you have ever had to walk around that area, hill is foremost in your mind, because it’s quite a steep gradient…

Signal_Box

I wasn’t meaning just when the reliefs are not in use. Stapleton Road has the potential to be a significant interchange between the Severn Beach and Gloucester/Cardiff services - as well as local bus services, sitting as it does right on top of a radial bus route, which can probably get people to bits of central Bristol quicker than going via Temple Meads. Just needs a bit of that joined up thinking which is oh, so in-British.

Stapleton Road was a major interchange as you it could be back in the 60s, with some trains for Bath direction bypassing Temple Meads altogether.

But, times change would you want to be waiting for a train longer than need be at Stapleton Road now with all the social issues the area has? I’d rather stay on until Temple Meads and back track.

Annetts key

Established Member
The area may not be what it once was, but I’ve been at Stapleton Road station many times and have never experienced any trouble. Same for Lawrence Hill station.

Signal_Box

The area may not be what it once was, but I’ve been at Stapleton Road station many times and have never experienced any trouble. Same for Lawrence Hill station.

I think it has many variables, day, time etc. certainly not somewhere you want to encourage interchange especially out of town students with luggage.

contrex

It's my local station, and I would feel a bit uneasy after dark. A woman was threatened with beheading by a bloke with mental health issues about 15 years ago.

Signal_Box

It's my local station, and I would feel a bit uneasy after dark. A woman was threatened with beheading by a bloke with mental health issues about 15 years ago.

Jesus, thank god access to mental health treatment has got so much better in those 15 years…

The exile

Established Member
I think it has many variables, day, time etc. certainly not somewhere you want to encourage interchange especially out of town students with luggage.
There is a vast difference between facilitating an interchange and requiring it. The more people making the interchange, the less dodgy it is likely to become. I quite regularly used to do the rail / bus interchange off the last up Severn Beach train on a Friday evening (albeit 30 years ago) and used to feel safer at Stapleton Road than at Clifton Down.

Signal_Box

There is a vast difference between facilitating an interchange and requiring it. The more people making the interchange, the less dodgy it is likely to become. I quite regularly used to do the rail / bus interchange off the last up Severn Beach train on a Friday evening (albeit 30 years ago) and used to feel safer at Stapleton Road than at Clifton Down.

Bristol as a whole has gone down hill rapidly over that time unfortunately.

Sadly safety in numbers doesn’t mean anything for the victims these days, ironically there is safety in numbers for the offenders!

Sean Emmett

Pic from last w/e. Steady progress with the towers.

Locals apparently advised footbridge due to go in on Christmas Day! Any truth in this?

Attachments

• IMG-20231114-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20231114-WA0003.jpg
    914.3 KB · Views: 83

Annetts key

Established Member
A T3 is specifically a possession of the line for engineering work. A PICOP (person in charge of possession) takes control of the line (or lines) within the T3.

Normal service trains (passenger and freight) are not permitted to enter or travel into or through a T3. Only engineering trains or on track machines (such as tampering machines ballast regulating machines and similar) planned to work within the T3 are normally permitted inside the area if the T3.

The term T3 comes from the name o the section of the railway rule book that describes the rules for this type of possession.