• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF announce five days of strike action on LNER due to potential implementation of Minimum Service Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reason is clearly stated as Furtherance of long running pay dispute.
Many organisations will make statements that something is happening for clearly stated reasons. Many organisations are also being economical with the truth and in reality other reasons may apply which they simply do not wish to publicly acknowledge whether that be for reputational or legal (or both) reasons.

I don't know the reasons for ASLEF's decision to extend the strike. It certainly seems odd that, for the same basic dispute, that they've decided to have five days back to back on LNER and only LNER whilst at the same time there is media reportage that LNER were the only TOC to undertake a consultation before implementing MSLs.

Could just be a co-incidence. Could be something else. Whilst I don't expect LNER to take ASLEF to court it would be fascinating to see what resulted if they did. I honestly do not know which way it would go.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

newtownmgr

ASLEF have been very clear of reason for extra 5 days strike

Reason is clearly stated as Furtherance of long running pay dispute.

No where has it been said it is about anything else (and if anyone received something from an ASLEF rep saying that, then they have dropped themselves in it, and could be injunctioned)

Not sure where or why you think an injunction can be issued. As long as the statutory 14 days notice is given Aslef can lengthen or shorten any industrial action. Within those 14 days the can only suspend or cancel action.

If you know any different I’d be genuinely interested to read about it.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Unless an employer is making a profit, they aren't usually allowed to increase salaries, unless they are terms in employment contracts requiring employees to get pay rises. For example, say you work for Local Transport Company Limited and they made a loss, but they are part of Bigger Transport Group PLC who have cash reserves, the senior managers of Local Transport Company Limited would need to get approval from Bigger Transport Group PLC. And then approval might come with T&Cs.

I guess you're not aware that train drivers across all TOCs have enjoyed an annual pay rise linked to inflation pretty much every year since privatisation (up until Covid and the Government's cack-handed response to the virus). This was irrespective of profits made or level of subsidy. Pay rises awarded often came with 'strings' attached which were negotiated changes to terms and conditions (increase in productivity etc) which were acceptable to the Unions and agreed in exchange for an increase in pay. This is how things have always been done and there should be no reason for this fair system to be cast aside now. The situation now is that the Government is seeking to impose hugely detrimental changes to Ts & Cs in a one-size-fits-all approach which will never work in a million years and this is what most drivers object to.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I guess you're not aware that train drivers across all TOCs have enjoyed an annual pay rise linked to inflation pretty much every year since privatisation (up until Covid and the Government's cack-handed response to the virus). This was irrespective of profits made or level of subsidy. Pay rises awarded often came with 'strings' attached which were negotiated changes to terms and conditions (increase in productivity etc) which were acceptable to the Unions and agreed in exchange for an increase in pay. This is how things have always been done and there should be no reason for this fair system to be cast aside now. The situation now is that the Government is seeking to impose hugely detrimental changes to Ts & Cs in a one-size-fits-all approach which will never work in a million years and this is what most drivers object to.
As you say since privatisation (the same privatisation that ASLEF doesn't want) it all went wrong when the govt semi nationalised the industry. Privateers for all their faults can't afford strikes for very long without the risk of the company going under so they keep a tight focus on industrial relations and work with trades unions to perhaps tweak T&C's to help keep the business profitable. I would suggest both sides won.

island

Veteran Member
Not sure where or why you think an injunction can be issued. As long as the statutory 14 days notice is given Aslef can lengthen or shorten any industrial action. Within those 14 days the can only suspend or cancel action.

If you know any different I’d be genuinely interested to read about it.
LNER could seek to take out an injunction on the grounds that the industrial action is being taken in protest against the MSL law rather than in furtherance of an industrial dispute, and therefore constitutes the tort of interference with contractual relations.

It's not clear whether they would succeed, but the probability is not zero.

uglymonkey

But the only people that the strikes are affecting ("getting too") is the poor suffering customers. The government doesn't give a damn ( and never will).

newtownmgr

LNER could seek to take out an injunction on the grounds that the industrial action is being taken in protest against the MSL law rather than in furtherance of an industrial dispute, and therefore constitutes the tort of interference with contractual relations.

It's not clear whether they would succeed, but the probability is not zero.
I’m guessing we will have to wait & see. I’m sure aslef would have taken the necessary legal advice beforehand

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m guessing we will have to wait & see. I’m sure aslef would have taken the necessary legal advice beforehand

Indeed so I think that this is a good place to leave this thread for the moment.

As soon as there are any significant developments in the dispute we will look to reopen the thread.

Of course if anyone needs any travel advice as a result of this action then they are welcome to start a thread in the Trip Planning section.

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.