• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF strikes 5th-8th April weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike57

Established Member
Ignoring the rights and wrongs, another strike, whats this going to acheive? The current government is flapping around like a dying fish out of water, with an election this year, so they will roll out all the old cliches but nothing will change. The strike will not get any closer to resolving the issues.

If I were ASLEF I would 'keep my powder dry' until after the election and then hit the incoming goverment with industrial action. Their members will lose money but I just feel its pointless as the government can just ignore it. Even a total all out strike probably wouldn't acheive much in the dying days of this government.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VP185

Meanwhile, MP’s get a 5.5% rise next month. No changes to terms and conditions and no protracted negotiations

Krokodil

Established Member
You don't think that the government will start to exert increasing amounts of pressure on TOCs to use it?
They might be stupid enough to try it. When they tried it with LNER ASLEF just added a load more strike days to make up the difference.

Yes, as Richard Bowler very clearly explained on the Green Signals podcast up to 80% of staff would need to be rostered to provide 40% of the service on each route.
Presumably simpler diagrams need fewer staff to run a reduced service than complex ones. What numpty thought that "Optimised Diagramming" would be a good way to save a few quid?

Established Member
The issue isn't really pay - even a sub inflation 5% or similar would probably get through, it has elsewhere.

It's the strings attached which require immense and unreasonable flexibility. I'm not in the slightest bit militant but I'd vote to strike over it without any question.

Absolutely.

Aslef imply that it is:

However if the suggestion is that Aslef are being disingenuous, well I'm not going to argue against that.

It’s a pay dispute which the government deliberately provoked, and are preventing from being resolved, by paralysing the normal method of negotiation, and insisting on extremely unfavourable changes to Ts and Cs which they know are unacceptable to the union and its members. I wonder whether you would consider them acceptable where you work?

I’m not sure who ASLEF are being “disingenuous” to, as their membership is fully aware of the issues and overwhelmingly backs the action. Whether outside observers understand the detail, and their opinion of the action, is really neither here nor there.

Ignoring the rights and wrongs, another strike, whats this going to acheive? The current government is flapping around like a dying fish out of water, with an election this year, so they will roll out all the old cliches but nothing will change. The strike will not get any closer to resolving the issues.

If I were ASLEF I would 'keep my powder dry' until after the election and then hit the incoming goverment with industrial action. Their members will lose money but I just feel its pointless as the government can just ignore it. Even a total all out strike probably wouldn't acheive much in the dying days of this government.

As per what I said in post #9 really. ASLEF are being pragmatic - nobody wants an all out strike - it’s just a matter of keeping it in the public eye, and not long now until an election!

A more sensible and less ideological government would allow a sensible negotiation (as has happened in Wales and Scotland), hence hopefully no need for industrial action - which nobody wants, but those of us on the railway have been forced into.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
What property(ies) does Sunday have that means it is almost never a day for strike action? My assumption is it's a low demand day for travel and/or engineering works limit the amount of strike-induced disruption anyway, but would be good to get clarity.

Also I noticed the Easter season is getting to ASLEF with the typo on that image :D
What typo is this? Is there a missing / between Nothern & Thame@link?

Unless of course, you are referring to GTR being broken up by brands theyhe fact some companies are abbreviated and others are not.

I admit it is very inconsistent in respect of companies being named in full or abbreviated.

zwk500

Veteran Member
What typo is this? Is there a missing / between Nothern & Thame@link?

Unless of course, you are referring to GTR being broken up by brands theyhe fact some companies are abbreviated and others are not.

I admit it is very inconsistent in respect of companies being named in full or abbreviated.
I think the typo is 'London North Easter' instead of London North Eastern Railway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The issue is a lack of payrise, for five years now. An offer has been made for a below inflation payrise, with a whole host of strings attached that is not acceptable to ASLEF. The same below inflation offer with a lack of strings attached would be accepted, but it hasn’t been offered.

I’m not sure how it could be written any more clearly.

I'd put the emphasis on the unreasonable conditions of the pay offer, as others have said. I'd accept the pay offer without any strings. I definitely wouldn't accept it with them.

Like it or not, right or wrong, most of the public seem to think train drivers are overpaid. But I think most people would have sympathy with ASLEF if it was clear it was more about "you can only have a rise if we can change your rest day at the last minute", which most people would agree is totally unreasonable, for one.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Meanwhile, MP’s get a 5.5% rise next month. No changes to terms and conditions and no protracted negotiations
To be fair many of them won't get much benefit of that, what with a general election incoming. Of course ASLEF could ask for similar terms as MPs, so long as the travelling public could vote for the ones they wanted... <D

(Before anyone gets triggered, the emote denotes I'm not being serious... Well... ;))

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sundays can be massively affected with overtime bans on some operators.

More pointless strike action, not like it will make a blind bit of difference other to the pockets of the staff striking. Similar to the countless previous rounds of strikes. Afterall Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Dame could be said of the government in this dispute. Doing the same thing over and over again.

Established Member
Like it or not, right or wrong, most of the public seem to think train drivers are overpaid. But I think most people would have sympathy with ASLEF if it was clear it was more about "you can only have a rise if we can change your rest day at the last minute", which most people would agree is totally unreasonable, for one.

I’m not even sure that’s true - outside of Daily Mail types most normal people don’t have knowledge of what any particular job role gets paid, and/or just aren’t that interested. It also makes not a jot of difference!

You realise after a while that some people (including some on here!) just hate unions on principle, and think anyone who earns more than they do is overpaid. The irony is them siding with the government in the railway dispute, as if they believe this government cares about them one iota, or has their interests at heart :D!

Last edited:

footprints

It’s keeping the dispute in the public eye, not costing most staff a penny (as most can make it up in overtime). We all know we’re waiting either for a change in approach or an election.
If the aim is to keep the dispute in the public eye then ASLEF have failed miserably. It rarely even gets a mention on news programmes or in the press anymore. There'll be a few token articles today announcing the action with the copy-and-paste comments from both sides. It's beyond pointless now. The Government have dug themselves into a hole where they're insisting on changes but doing nothing to implement them. Meanwhile, ASLEF are calling strike dates they know won't achieve a thing just to try and save face.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The issue isn't really pay - even a sub inflation of 5% or similar would probably get through, as it has elsewhere.

It's the strings attached which require immense and unreasonable flexibility. I'm not in the slightest bit militant but I'd vote to strike over it without any question.
I would as well. The terms contain unreasonable flexibility and this point seems to be lost on most people, including the wider media. Perhaps ASLEF doesn't explain this part well enough.

jkkne

Yes, I'd say the Unions are losing the PR war - if it's of any importance to them. Unions tend to be generally poor at PR but they are against a wave of generally centre right public opinion to begin with. I agree with others that the current Government won't act now especially if we have an October election coming up and this just feels, background noise.

I'm not sure Labour will be racing to the table - it's a not a vote winner or going to boost the perception of a new Goverment, the majority of voters aren't impacted and the issue is way down their personal priority list - most have adapted to cars, megabus/flixbus/natex etc etc.

The press will already have the 'Leftie Starmer caves to Union mates using YOUR taxes for fat cat union bosses and overpaid drivers' articles at the ready

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm not sure Labour will be racing to the table - it's a not a vote winner or going to boost the perception of a new Goverment, the majority of voters aren't impacted and the issue is way down their personal priority list - most have adapted to cars, megabus/flixbus/natex etc etc.

Yes, it's an annoyance to me, I am going to Bristol on the Friday, but it's not disastrous, I'll drive instead.

winks

If ASLEF want to keep this in the public eye they should call an “all-out” National Strike like they did at the beginning of the dispute. Friday to Sunday would focus the minds a bit IMO.

Thirteen

ASLEF wouldn't hit a Labour Government with industrial action within days of them coming in because it's likely that they expect them to negotiate a no or minimal strings deal.

Moonshot

Established Member
The issue is a lack of payrise, for five years now. An offer has been made for a below inflation payrise, with a whole host of strings attached that is not acceptable to ASLEF. The same below inflation offer with a lack of strings attached would be accepted, but it hasn’t been offered.

I’m not sure how it could be written any more clearly.
Completely agree with this. It really is that simple. All drivers I know say the same.

ChrisC

Established Member
Yes, it's an annoyance to me, I am going to Bristol on the Friday, but it's not disastrous, I'll drive instead.
I think that’s how many people view the inconvenience of these strikes now, as an annoyance but not disastrous. They have been going on for so long that people are just working around the inconvenience. Sadly, perhaps the government also just see them in their current form as an annoyance but not disastrous.

Most of my holidays booked for this year are to locations to where I will probably take my car if there are strikes planned. I have a 10 day holiday booked up in Aberdeen mid May which I have had to book at a much more expensive flexible rate in case I have to cancel. I had booked the same last year but it was cancelled because of rail strikes last May so hopefully no strikes this year on my travelling days.

Thirteen

ASLEF are also planning to strike on April 8th on London Underground which would cripple the capital somewhat although the Elizabeth Line and LO aren't affected.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I think that’s how many people view the inconvenience of these strikes now, as an annoyance but not disastrous. They have been going on for so long that people are just working around the inconvenience. Sadly, perhaps the government also just see them in their current form as an annoyance but not disastrous.

Yes, that's the way I see it too. The strikes have been going on so long now that I've come up with a series of alternative days out involving buses and walking for ASLEF's monthly throwing-their-toys-out-of-the-pram day. The fact that once again ASLEF have chosen a Saturday when there's lots of sporting events on instead of a weekday shows how little they care for the travelling public.

Pacerpilot

They can try but it seems unworkable. My TOC has said it had no intention of bringing it in when last I heard
Same here. Our lot CA barely manage to assemble a timetable with 6 months to play with a full compliment of staff. Absolutely not happening in 9 days.

DMckduck97

Never really understood these rolling strikes, large pockets of commuters will usually be isolated to one specific TOC so only face the brunt of one days action every month or two.

I'm certainly no fan of this government :) - but do seriously question the idea that the alternative on offer is going to do any better, either at solving these strikes or indeed with a myriad of other issues. I guess we'll see relatively soon!

I also agree that there is a genuine grievance here, though I continue to question whether the tactics currently being used are actually helping, because it doesn't appear so.
I think ASLEF are hoping they can keep it rolling through to a new Labour government and use their affiliation to pull strings with the government and get a payrise.

Not that I think labour will have much more of an appetite to end any strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.