• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF strikes 5th-8th April weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Van

There will be LNER services but they will start later and finish earlier. I think it highly unlikely the 1830 will run but if you're able to travel in the middle of the day then you should still be able to travel. You may however need to change at somewhere like York or Doncaster as I don't believe that Newcastle services on an ASLEF strike day serve Stevenage.

Indeed Lumo will be unaffected.

If you train is not running (which I think highly likely) then you will be entitled to a refund. I can't recall offhand if LNER offer a more blanket policy than that.
Thanks for the replies, I can't travel earlier as I'm going to the South Shields v Bishops Stortford football match.

I think the Lumo service looks the best bet.

Do I need to wait until LNER cancel the 6.30 or can I get a refund based purely that its a strike day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

liam456

Are PRO obligations still in force in situations like these?
Wondering as I have booked to travel from Runcorn to Euston on the last Avanti of the day on Thursday 4th...

zwk500

Veteran Member
I can't, but there are a few fans of litigation on here. Some people do enjoy it.
But by the time you've got your day in court the functional question is completely moot. You've still had to get yourself home. So avanti wouldn't be fulfilling obligations, but compensating you for having failed to.

Harvey B

But it is increasingly tedious for those of us who rely on trains that we're now into our *5th year* of not being able to make concrete plans more than a couple of weeks in advance. Some normality would be very welcome.
This is the 5th year? How do you get to that
I think it would have been preferable if, rather than passing the stupid MSL legislation, the government had instead just increased the amount of notice required for a strike in an ongoing (/neverending) dispute like this. 4 weeks notice is a lot better than 2, especially for eg. booking hotels.
I do agree. 4 weeks is more adequate notice than 2. It's such a nightmare at the minute and that's a legislation I'd be more than happy to see brought in

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But by the time you've got your day in court the functional question is completely moot. You've still had to get yourself home. So avanti wouldn't be fulfilling obligations, but compensating you for having failed to.

Yes, it was kind of a given that you'd need to arrange an alternative and sue them for the cost.

liam456

I am flying back to Liverpool Airport, with a scheduled arrival of 19:20. So I anticipate being able to respond quickly and travel on either an earlier ex-Liverpool train or travel to Warrington Bank Quay to catch a southbound train from there. Either way, I anticipate it being a 'keep the reciepts and fight for the money after the fact' type of job.

MikeWM

Established Member
This is the 5th year? How do you get to that

Almost 2 years of uncertainty over covid restrictions, then we had about a whole 4 months of 'normality' (though in many cases on still significantly-reduced timetables) before the strikes started in June 2022.

Of course the covid restrictions weren't the fault of the railway, but the last thing we needed after those 2 years was a further 2 years of uncertainty due to strikes.

After this amount of time, I've certainly adapted to doing significantly fewer things at weekends that require rail travel, and given how long this has gone on for I fully expect these changes in my habits to be permanent, even when normality finally breaks out, assuming it ever does.

Established Member
If the aim is to keep the dispute in the public eye then ASLEF have failed miserably. It rarely even gets a mention on news programmes or in the press anymore. There'll be a few token articles today announcing the action with the copy-and-paste comments from both sides. It's beyond pointless now. The Government have dug themselves into a hole where they're insisting on changes but doing nothing to implement them. Meanwhile, ASLEF are calling strike dates they know won't achieve a thing just to try and save face.

Wrong. It’s hit all the main news sources this afternoon. It also isn’t pointless as far as the membership is concerned, and they’re the ones filling in the ballot papers!

You appear to have an axe to grind as you pop up and say the same things on every IR thread, always stridently anti union, and barely comment on any other topic. Why do you care? Do you work in the industry yourself? Are you a disrupted passenger?

I think this is the key, I don't think anything will be settled this side of the election, I dont think the current government want a settlement.

Indeed, it’s looking that way. There’s still the chance of settlement before the election, but we’re all aware it may drag on.

Yes, that's the way I see it too. The strikes have been going on so long now that I've come up with a series of alternative days out involving buses and walking for ASLEF's monthly throwing-their-toys-out-of-the-pram day. The fact that once again ASLEF have chosen a Saturday when there's lots of sporting events on instead of a weekday shows how little they care for the travelling public.

An odd comment. As an ASLEF member I’m not sure how wanting my work life balance not to be destroyed is “throwing my toys out of the pram”. Surprise, surprise, it’s kind of important to me…

ASLEF also aren’t paid to represent the travelling public. The government on the other hand are, and it is they who have provoked and then failed to resolve the dispute, so where do you think your anger should be directed?

Overtime on a Sunday is paid at exactly the same rate as other days for us, Sunday working is booked hours, not overtime and is paid at the same rate as any other day. So it's more than a little disingenuous to suggest that "members" wouldn't like to miss their Sundays due to "enhanced Sunday pay".

Same here. So much misinformation from the usual suspects on here, as per usual.

Given experience so far the chance of this Government changing its approach is absolutely zero, so further action will achieve nothing other than lose Drivers pay (are they not able to work overtime regardless of whether there are strike days?), cost the industry money, and inconvenience passengers. There will be an election, hopefully sometime soon, then the campaign can begin again.

Yet we were told that by posters on here for almost a year in relation to the RMT, and the position did change.

True, but I don't think they are interested in that. Indeed it's deemed to be "neither here nor there" what the public think, as mentioned up thread.

Why would anyone who knows what a trade union is, and understands its purpose, be remotely surprised by that?

Do you have evidence they are losing the PR war?

Good question. On the other hand there’s plenty of evidence the government are losing their PR war! Indeed I can recall polling for The Times (so a right leaning paper) where the numbers opposing the strikes were outnumbered by those who didn’t know and those who opposed the government. It’s by no means clear that ongoing industrial unrest on the railway is a vote winner; yet this lot are so ideological that they don’t seem able to read the room.

Of course the covid restrictions weren't the fault of the railway, but the last thing we needed after those 2 years was a further 2 years of uncertainty due to strikes.

They also weren’t the fault of the driving grade, and the last thing myself and many of my colleagues have needed is no pay rise since 2019 - many of us with large mortgages, families to feed etc. and who have suffered exactly the same cost of living pressures as everyone else over the past few years.

There can’t be many workers left in the economy who’ve literally not had a bean of an increase since 2019, entirely due to this government’s crusade against organised labour (amongst other human rights they find inconvenient :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

HullRailMan

Great - I’ll be stuck in Kent now on the 8th with no way home just so a bunch of people on virtually twice the average wage can have a cry and demand even more cash.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Do you have evidence they are losing the PR war?

Good question. On the other hand there’s plenty of evidence the government are losing their PR war! Indeed I can recall polling for The Times (so a right leaning paper) where the numbers opposing the strikes were outnumbered by those who didn’t know and those who opposed the government. It’s by no means clear that ongoing industrial unrest on the railway is a vote winner; yet this lot are so ideological that they don’t seem able to read the room.

Public support for train drivers’ strikes is ebbing away, the secretary of the Aslef trade union has admitted.

Mick Whelan, general secretary of the train drivers’ union, said that support among the general public for industrial action by train drivers had dropped by a third.

“At one point we had 75 per cent of public approval. Now it’s down to just over 50,” he told reporters in London.
Accepting it’s the Telegraph, so will have a certain way of putting things; also behind a paywall. But essentially it says that public support has fallen from 75% to 50%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The functional question is, it's about no longer being out of pocket.

Perhaps surprisingly, I have had instances where TOCs have paid up PRO-related expenses without too much of a fuss.

But it’s really not necessary in this situation. Just seems like an argument for arguments sake.
Hardly so. If you can't (or don't want to) change your travel plans, it avoid you being left out of pocket.

Richardr

VP185

Public support is largely irrelevant because at the end of the day, public support doesn’t pay my bills.

Established Member

Accepting it’s the Telegraph, so will have a certain way of putting things; also behind a paywall. But essentially it says that public support has fallen from 75% to 50%.

If it’s 50/50, ASLEF are still doing better than the current government in popularity stakes!

Note in the same article Whelan has also been quoted as saying:

“We’ve never actually experienced, until now, a transport dispute where we have public approval,” added the 64-year-old,

Which suggests the feeling isn’t as anti ASLEF as some on here like to make out (although I have no idea what a “rail baron” is).

Personally I couldn’t give a jot about support from people who clearly don’t give a stuff about my wellbeing. I do care about being able to plan my life outside work, though, and preserving my own mental and physical health. Which is what this dispute is about.

Harvey B

Almost 2 years of uncertainty over covid restrictions, then we had about a whole 4 months of 'normality' (though in many cases on still significantly-reduced timetables) before the strikes started in June 2022.

I had a feeling that Covid was probably a factor in it too
After this amount of time, I've certainly adapted to doing significantly fewer things at weekends that require rail travel, and given how long this has gone on for I fully expect these changes in my habits to be permanent, even when normality finally breaks out, assuming it ever does.
Hopefully, a change of Government will bring about a return to normality after the last 5* years of Chaos

*(It's More like 7 or 8 Years [Out of the past 10] if you're willing to count the RMT DOO/DDO Disputes between from 2016-19)

Sly Old Fox

The pandemic was an opportunity for members to save plenty of money so that we could have had an all-out 12 week effort back in 2022, the government would have settled to limit the damage to the economy so long as the strike wasn't blocked in the courts.

No they wouldn’t have done. Why would they have done that? What would’ve been the benefit?

ASLEF should’ve never gone on strike in the first place. It was a stupid idea two years ago and it’s still a stupid idea now. Some of us could see this coming precisely but were roundly ignored. Ho hum.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No they wouldn’t have done. Why would they have done that? What would’ve been the benefit?

ASLEF should’ve never gone on strike in the first place. It was a stupid idea two years ago and it’s still a stupid idea now. Some of us could see this coming precisely but were roundly ignored. Ho hum.

You expect people to accept these utterly unreasonable conditions?

5% with no strings would do it. There shouldn't be strings to a sub-inflationary rise. Productivity improvements are for a super-inflationary one.

Sly Old Fox

You expect people to accept these utterly unreasonable conditions?

5% with no strings would do it. There shouldn't be strings to a sub-inflationary rise. Productivity improvements are for a super-inflationary one.

No, I categorically don’t expect anybody to accept these conditions. They are utter ****e.

But after two years of uncertainty during the pandemic, ASLEF should’ve tried to grow the railway for a couple of years. A couple of really solid years of performance to get people travelling again, and revenue flowing again. If ASLEF went to the RDG for a payrise now after five years of not having one, but having done everything possible to keep the railways going, I imagine they’d get one almost immediately.

VP185

But after two years of uncertainty during the pandemic, ASLEF should’ve tried to grow the railway for a couple of years. A couple of really solid years of performance to get people travelling again, and revenue flowing again. If ASLEF went to the RDG for a payrise now after five years of not having one, but having done everything possible to keep the railways going, I imagine they’d get one almost immediately.

I think you’re living in cloud cuckoo land! Just look at the doctors dispute.

This government doesn’t care.

Ashfordian6

No, I categorically don’t expect anybody to accept these conditions. They are utter ****e.

The Government would have offered 2% in your scenario. Then what would have been the next move from ASLEF?

ComUtoR

Established Member
f ASLEF went to the RDG for a payrise now after five years of not having one, but having done everything possible to keep the railways going, I imagine they’d get one almost immediately.

What do you think we have been doing ?

Most of us didn't get furloughed and kept the railway going through the entire pandemic !

The railway is bouncing back and passenger numbers are increasing.

We got a knife in the back as thanks !

Kite159

Veteran Member
What do you think we have been doing ?

Most of us didn't get furloughed and kept the railway going through the entire pandemic !

The railway is bouncing back and passenger numbers are increasing.

We got a knife in the back as thanks !

Ah the good old "we worked through Covid" card. Just like many other workers who were also on the 'front line'.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

So did I, albeit at my desk, doing IT stuff and paying taxes to help fund the pandemic response. I'm glad I was, as being furloughed when unable to travel would have been utterly boring. I'd not say it was an encumbrance to work, quite the opposite. And to be honest I'd probably rather have been doing a job that got me out of the house, as, as the old adage goes, otherwise my bins went out more than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.