• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assault screens on buses

G42

Interested to know what everyone's thoughts are on assault screens?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeUeNXup/
In the TikTok video above, Aaron Beaconsfield suggests being boxed in contributes to incidents.

A lot of operators have adjustable screens but then you see some drivers who have it closed tight night and day.

In the past I've worked with someone who (I believe) spoke to customers a certain way because they had the protection of a screen.
I can't think of anything worse than working in a London driver's cab where you are sealed in completely - but then I've never driven in London to know what it is like down there.
The majority of my driving time, I have the screen down (where I'm able to).

Without wishing to stray into the ongoing investigation, Unite are calling for enhanced safety measures following the tragic incident in Elgin. This includes assault screens on all buses.

My preference would be to have adjustable screens - preferably drop-down like you get on ADL Enviros. I'm not a fan of ones you pull up (like on Streetdecks) which get in the way of your eye line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I personally don't like them, although I can totally see why larger operators fit them as standard. In my opinion, the very presence of an assault screen promotes a hostile environment from the start. They're also a bl***y pain for not being able to hear passengers properly, having frames which obstruct your view of mirrors etc and causing reflections which are distracting and/or obscure your view.

I've never refused to drive a bus because it hasn't had a screen fitted, although I know many colleagues who have. Interestingly, in the 6 or 7 years that I drove permanent late shifts, the majority of late shift drivers were also happy to drive without, in fact most preffered it. It only seemed to be drivers on the general rota who got a late shift that demanded a screened vehicle.

EDIT: I should add that this is based on my own experience. I don't know if I would necessarily feel the same way if I was driving in parts of London or Birmingham, for example.

Last edited:

mjc

I think, like most of TikTok this is just someone spouting off trying to get views. He's not even sure himself what he's saying, 95% of these incidents wouldn't happen if the assault screen could be down, then he says about 50%.
I've never been a bus driver but I have lots of experience in various public facing roles, including banking and interviewing the public in some contentious situations. I wouldn't go into those without an escape route, but the bus driver can't go anywhere so another answer is needed. Maybe a screen you can open and close, but who's to say the attack could only come after dark, and the very act of closing the screen when you see a character you perceived as dodgy would be inflammatory too.
If a driver chooses to not use one that's their look out, although the company will still bear some responsibility for health and safety so may insist, but I certainly wouldn't judge or criticise anyone for having a screen.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Personally I like the middle ground of the screens with retractable mid section. Vehicles I’ve driven with this I tend to have open the vast majority of the time as it allows openness with passengers for easy transactions, but it’s nice to know I have it to hand.

Vehicles I’ve driven with full permanent screens do make me feel very penned in and reflections at night can be a real pain I find, as well as the obvious being able to hear passengers properly.

Vehicles I’ve driven with no screen have typically been fine on rail replacement and regular schools, but in regular passenger service on certain routes can sometimes feel almost a bit too vulnerable. It is nice to have one less thing rattling in your ear though!

I guess to an extent it will vary depending on the type of work one does and in what area. My area of experience has a mixture of urban provincial towns, interurban country routes, but in the past also some routes that extended into south London. The latter were the ones I disliked most without a screen, in part because unlike the TfL buses we ran alongside, we still accepted cash transactions, and we did go through a phase of drivers being targeted for money on those routes.

Interested to know what everyone's thoughts are on assault screens?
I was unaware that buses still operate without permanent assault screens.

I am old enough to remember when we had none, anyone threatened me or was abusive, I was out of the cab and they were walking home. Threats and abuse were rare.

Now you are just expected to take it, with zero support from the company.

It doesn't help that most screens are done on the cheap, wobbling, vibrating, weird reflections, don't really work. But then that sums up the industry as a whole.

trainJam

I can only remember a time with screens (and the exact fare cash hopper) in the West Midlands network.
Usually the driver will end up opening the door to understand the enquiring passenger.

It is like that ticket office sealed (and without mic system) window joke.

Outside of the cities you tend to find screenless cabs and being used to them it was a small surprise.

Mwanesh

Having worked in London, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and The South Wales Valleys it varies how you view it. In all the places I have mentioned above except the Welsh Valleys you need an assault screen because there are nut jobs in those towns. Welsh Valleys never had a problem or need an assault screen the passengers even know you by name. Some even ask you when you are working so they get on your bus. No assault screen means I am not driving the bus.

G42

Interestingly, in the 6 or 7 years that I drove permanent late shifts, the majority of late shift drivers were also happy to drive without, in fact most preferred it. It only seemed to be drivers on the general rota who got a late shift that demanded a screened vehicle.

It's funny you say that because I've been on subsidised services put out to smaller operators at night who have buses where you can see the foot pedals (no door or screen) yet during daytime hours the big operators run the equivalent commercial service with a full screen.

scotrail170434

I feel he is wrong when he says if the screen was down the chance of that happening would be reduced. Being a bus driver myself in North Ayrshire, Scotland I always have my screen up. We have numerous incidents of drivers being battered. drivers being spat etc, etc. It depends on the area.

I feel, for instance, if I am on Glasgow express buses I won't have the screen up as the passengers are either people going to work or going for a day out, whilst on any other service I drive the passengers tend to be ruder and I feel that the screen is a barrier from them, especially now with trouble with youths. The free travel scheme is an utter shambles, with children using buses as a haven to get out of the rain, smoking, and being disrespectful to passengers.

I am sorry but I don't get paid enough to deal with that, I only do the job as income whilst I am at university and once my bond is up (November) I will gladly be leaving the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
A lovely foreign place I often visit is considering screens to stop the drivers assaulting the passengers. Gotta love the Spanish.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I feel he is wrong when he says if the screen was down the chance of that happening would be reduced. Being a bus driver myself in North Ayrshire, Scotland I always have my screen up. We have numerous incidents of drivers being battered. drivers being spat etc, etc. It depends on the area.
It's not entirely clear which post you're responding to - could you please make sure that you quote the relevant post when replying? Also, please try not to assume that anyone who posts here is a "he" - the forum is very diverse.

I feel, for instance, if I am on Glasgow express buses I won't have the screen up as the passengers are either people going to work or going for a day out, whilst on any other service I drive the passengers tend to be ruder and I feel that the screen is a barrier from them, especially now with trouble with youths.
My opinions on those who keep referring to "feral youths" are probably quite well known, and it's not fair to tar every young person with the same brush. Not every kid is a trouble-maker. It's your call as to whether you keep the screen up or not and nobody here is going to disagree with your reasons for doing so.

The free travel scheme is an utter shambles, with children using buses as a haven to get out of the rain, smoking, and being disrespectful to passengers.
Is this the case for every journey you make, or just the occasional run?

I am sorry but I don't get paid enough to deal with that, I only do the job as income whilst I am at university and once my bond is up (November) I will gladly be leaving the industry.
You've made it clear that you're only in the job for as long as it takes to achieve a certain objective and then you're out. I suppose that's fair enough in a way, but to me it comes across as being a bit snobby. If you take on a job that involves dealing with the public, you have to suck it up, dear! Doesn't matter if it's working for the railway, a bus company, a supermarket or a small shop; nothing excuses abuse towards the people who work in those jobs, but if you start out with an "ew, common people - how awful" attitude, don't be surprised when it bites you on the arse.

Mwanesh

It's not entirely clear which post you're responding to - could you please make sure that you quote the relevant post when replying? Also, please try not to assume that anyone who posts here is a "he" - the forum is very diverse.

My opinions on those who keep referring to "feral youths" are probably quite well known, and it's not fair to tar every young person with the same brush. Not every kid is a trouble-maker. It's your call as to whether you keep the screen up or not and nobody here is going to disagree with your reasons for doing so.

Is this the case for every journey you make, or just the occasional run?

You've made it clear that you're only in the job for as long as it takes to achieve a certain objective and then you're out. I suppose that's fair enough in a way, but to me it comes across as being a bit snobby. If you take on a job that involves dealing with the public, you have to suck it up, dear! Doesn't matter if it's working for the railway, a bus company, a supermarket or a small shop; nothing excuses abuse towards the people who work in those jobs, but if you start out with an "ew, common people - how awful" attitude, don't be surprised when it bites you on the arse.
I would add to his comment on youths. Birmingham has 2 schools about 2 miles apart. One of the schools the kids are well behaved you can't really fault them. The other school well they have vandalised buses. They open doors at traffic lights and jump out of the emergency exit. The situation has got so bad now the school has notified parents of a meeting over Easter.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
It doesn't sound like they have actually said they think of themselves as above passengers - just reporting what they have found to be the reality of the job in their area first hand from actually doing it. Abuse towards drivers doesn't have to start with the driver having any kind of "attitude".

I feel, for instance, if I am on Glasgow express buses I won't have the screen up as the passengers are either people going to work or going for a day out, whilst on any other service I drive the passengers tend to be ruder and I feel that the screen is a barrier from them, especially now with trouble with youths. The free travel scheme is an utter shambles, with children using buses as a haven to get out of the rain, smoking, and being disrespectful to passengers.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I always thought this was the way to greet new posters, silly me.

No where in your post do I detect any snobbery nor will I attempt to score points with straw man arguements an ad hominem attacks.

You are right about some services needing screens more than others, just the reality.

JD2168

TM Travel & Globe Holidays of Barnsley don’t have any assault screens on their buses. Quite a number of Stagecoach buses have adjustable door screens whilst First are non adjustable.

G42

Is it more expensive to spec adjustable door screens? To my mind it’s the ideal middle ground - give those who want them down the choice.

RogerOut

I was unaware that buses still operate without permanent assault screens.

I am old enough to remember when we had none, anyone threatened me or was abusive, I was out of the cab and they were walking home. Threats and abuse were rare.

Now you are just expected to take it, with zero support from the company.

It doesn't help that most screens are done on the cheap, wobbling, vibrating, weird reflections, don't really work. But then that sums up the industry as a whole.

Absolutely correct. The screens at my place , sometimes fall straight down or sometimes don’t fix upwards.
They all tend to vibrate and shake, with reflections or scratches on them making visibility poor.

G42

Absolutely correct. The screens at my place , sometimes fall straight down or sometimes don’t fix upwards.
Are these the Wright cab screens that pull upwards to open?

I don’t see the point in those, you seem to still be shouting through a bit of plastic while your arms are exposed.

At least with ADL the screen drops into the door giving a better degree of control over how much of a gap you want open.