• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assesment day fairness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie11

Hi all,

So i had my first assesment day today for GWR.... long story short, we were told 2 people for every table, it was a packed room, and they ended up squeezing a third person next to me on my table.... this left the three of us litteraly touching shoulders! I sat my exam in a very awkward position, neck twisted and writing to the side, with no space on my table.... everyone else was fine, but us 3 all worried about knocking each other and leaving room etc.... essentially what I'm saying, was this fair of them? We had that extra bit of distraction and discomfort when everybody else had the advantage of their own space etc... The OPC assessor said sorry but there wasnt much he could do.... I feel confident enough I passed, but I feel I could have done better given that extra bit of stress removed.

If I fail, do you think I could resist the exam without using one of my second chances if I complain? Would the OPC or GWR care?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Undiscovered

There is a sheet of paper that you sign to say you are happy to take the tests and understand what is required. If you've signed it, it's unlikely that you'll get a resit.
Not ideal circumstances by the sounds of it though.

Eddie11

There is a sheet of paper that you sign to say you are happy to take the tests and understand what is required. If you've signed it, it's unlikely that you'll get a resit.
Not ideal circumstances by the sounds of it though.

Thanks for the reply, I signed everything in the morning before we started, my papers collected along with I.D check, the person arrived 3 minutes late, so I already had my bits signed and collected? All 3 of us were not best pleased..... hope to god I pass!!!

Val3ntine

Thanks for the reply, I signed everything in the morning before we started, my papers collected along with I.D check, the person arrived 3 minutes late, so I already had my bits signed and collected? All 3 of us were not best pleased..... hope to god I pass!!!

Similar advice to the one already stated that It’s very unlikely for any waver in this situation as before each test you are able to state wether you are ready or not and the assessors usually stress that everyone is to be sure they know what they are doing before they start as there is no going back. You could have stated you didn’t feel comfortable or didn't have sufficient space, not ideal I know but I guess other alternatives would have been the assessors asking the other candidates if they minded having 3 to their table and failing that you being offered an alternative day to do the testing. I know how you feel not wanting to be “that guy” or even perhaps harbour your chances in fear of them thinking you are a difficult person, but it’s very similar to the actual job role where you have to be sure and confident before committing to an action and you can’t just do something you’re not comfortable with because you don’t want to be difficult or are shy.
Hopefully you did enough, I’m sure you’ll be fine, overthinking and thinking you could have done more

Eddie11

Similar advice to the one already stated that It’s very unlikely for any waver in this situation as before each test you are able to state wether you are ready or not and the assessors usually stress that everyone is to be sure they know what they are doing before they start as there is no going back. You could have stated you didn’t feel comfortable or didn't have sufficient space, not ideal I know but I guess other alternatives would have been the assessors asking the other candidates if they minded having 3 to their table and failing that you being offered an alternative day to do the testing. I know how you feel not wanting to be “that guy” or even perhaps harbour your chances in fear of them thinking you are a difficult person, but it’s very similar to the actual job role where you have to be sure and confident before committing to an action and you can’t just do something you’re not comfortable with because you don’t want to be difficult or are shy.
Hopefully you did enough, I’m sure you’ll be fine, overthinking and thinking you could have done more

I hear you! Il just hope I passed regardless!

Chris1982

If you did your test today for stage 1 did you have to do a test about a set of cartons and write a report about it. I ask this because I know other people who have had to sit this test on their stage 1 and I didn’t do that test today? P.s good luck with your results.

Nicbetyy

Hi all,

So i had my first assesment day today for GWR.... long story short, we were told 2 people for every table, it was a packed room, and they ended up squeezing a third person next to me on my table.... this left the three of us litteraly touching shoulders! I sat my exam in a very awkward position, neck twisted and writing to the side, with no space on my table.... everyone else was fine, but us 3 all worried about knocking each other and leaving room etc.... essentially what I'm saying, was this fair of them? We had that extra bit of distraction and discomfort when everybody else had the advantage of their own space etc... The OPC assessor said sorry but there wasnt much he could do.... I feel confident enough I passed, but I feel I could have done better given that extra bit of stress removed.

If I fail, do you think I could resist the exam without using one of my second chances if I complain? Would the OPC or GWR care?
Heya , what role was it for ?
Hopefully your results come through quick . If you aren’t successful it might be worth mentioning the above

Good luck

Eddie11

If you did your test today for stage 1 did you have to do a test about a set of cartons and write a report about it. I ask this because I know other people who have had to sit this test on their stage 1 and I didn’t do that test today? P.s good luck with your results.

Hi,

No test as you described above.... it was stage 1, we did the dots test, tones test, the memory test about glop and dials.... hope that helps.

If successful, we do the online tests and interview next. Fingers crossed!

Eddie11

Heya , what role was it for ?
Hopefully your results come through quick . If you aren’t successful it might be worth mentioning the above

Good luck

Hi, it was the train drivers test for GWR. Yes, if unsuccessful, i will chase the matter and see if it can help the situation.

Chris1982

Yes that exactly what I did I was on the afternoon session at jury’s inn. Maybe they had to do an addition test for some reason lol. How did you think you did?

Eddie11

Yes that exactly what I did I was on the afternoon session at jury’s inn. Maybe they had to do an addition test for some reason lol. How did you think you did?

I was there too! At the front lol... where was you sat? I think I did ok (well fingers crossed) how do you think you did?

Chris1982

I was there too! At the front lol... where was you sat? I think I did ok (well fingers crossed) how do you think you did?

I was sat right at the back lol. I think I did ok the glop test was harder than I anticipated but all the others seemed ok. Was yours for Plymouth talent pool?

Eddie11

I was sat right at the back lol. I think I did ok the glop test was harder than I anticipated but all the others seemed ok. Was yours for Plymouth talent pool?

Yes!! I agree, GLOP could have been a flop!!! Was harder than i thought! And yes, a very large majority were for the Plymouth pool, not sure how many slots are up for grabs, but there is certainly alot of budding peeps to fill it!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Apologises, if I've overlooked it, but can I ask which job role this test was for?

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Can I ask if there was only one job up for grabs or were they looking at a talent pool for the successful applicants?

I attended an assessment day for a Train Manager with Virgin Train last month and I was one of ten. Sadly, I didn't get the job but to be fair everyone I was up against were strong personalities from my experience of the group exercise. It did feel like a lottery who would actually get the role!

One of the other candidates mentioned he went for a job with Transport for Wales earlier in the year and made it to an assessment day where there were 12 for the one vacancy which I think may have been a conductor role.

It does feel a little intimidating when you see how many other people are there but it's bizarre as I always strike up a good comradery with everyone else even though you are competing for the same thing and you are never likely to see them again once you leave the venue.

C J

Chris1982

Can I ask if there was only one job up for grabs or were they looking at a talent pool for the successful applicants?

I attended an assessment day for a Train Manager with Virgin Train last month and I was one of ten. Sadly, I didn't get the job but to be fair everyone I was up against were strong personalities from my experience of the group exercise. It did feel like a lottery who would actually get the role!

One of the other candidates mentioned he went for a job with Transport for Wales earlier in the year and made it to an assessment day where there were 12 for the one vacancy which I think may have been a conductor role.

It does feel a little intimidating when you see how many other people are there but it's bizarre as I always strike up a good comradery with everyone else even though you are competing for the same thing and you are never likely to see them again once you leave the venue.

C J
The assessment day yesterday was for train driver talent pool for Plymouth depot

Chris1982

Yes!! I agree, GLOP could have been a flop!!! Was harder than i thought! And yes, a very large majority were for the Plymouth pool, not sure how many slots are up for grabs, but there is certainly alot of budding peeps to fill it!

Have you heard your result yet Eddie? Someone from the morning session I know just received his results.

Chris1982

Hi, no I haven't..... guess that a no for me then lol! ... hey ho. Good luck to you though!
I haven’t heard yet either so hoping the morning people got theirs yesterday and our afternoon session will find out tomorrow.

Eddie11

I haven’t heard yet either so hoping the morning people got theirs yesterday and our afternoon session will find out tomorrow.
Email this morning saying I'm through to the next bit! Just waiting on a confirmation email for dates... good luck to you chris and everyone else

Daydr3am3r

Email this morning saying I'm through to the next bit! Just waiting on a confirmation email for dates... good luck to you chris and everyone else

Well done Eddie good stuff!! If you need any advice or help for the rest of the process let me know :)

ninhog

:D:D

So when are you going to let them know that being crammed on a table with an extra person may have disadvantaged you? :D

RBSN

We had that extra bit of distraction and...

Not trying to sound like a dick but becoming a qualified driver is all about seeing if you can handle the real pressure of being a driver, including if you can (or how you handle) distractions.

Eddie11

Not trying to sound like a dick but becoming a qualified driver is all about seeing if you can handle the real pressure of being a driver, including if you can (or how you handle) distractions.

You're right, glad I passed regardless of the distraction

Status
Not open for further replies.