• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessment Day for South Eastern Trainee Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEZDAN1982

Hi everyone,

I've got my assessment day for the above post next week and I'm currently making my head spin trying to practice everything I may need to do.

I've been mainly practicing the concentration tests, the ones in my practice booklet are using the letters, should l practice the dot test also?
And does anyone know if it will be paper and pencil or on computer?

Im excited as well as nervous, probably most worried about the structured interview (hoping I get that far lol).
Also the position states 'future opportunities' if the assessment is next week could I still be waiting awhile for a position if successful?

I've been looking around the forum for a few months now and think it's brilliant how helpful and friendly everyone is :D
Hopefully someone's able to help with my queries.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GAkanu

Hi, SEZDAN.

Having been through the process and been successful, the trend is to do testing on paper but some new TOC's may opt for computer testing. Practise both Group Bourdon and SCATT tests, they usually specify which one you will be doing and if in doubt call/e-mail SE HR. This is the first test they will usually do but this is followed by Rules and Ticket Selling/Ticket Checking. Please equally focus on these tests!

Interview is usually about rule following, customer service, resilience and some scenario questions. I went through the process for AGA so it may differ in some ways to which other TOC's do this.

Best of luck!

SEZDAN1982

Thanks GAkanu

Ive been practicing and im quite looking forward to tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

darren111

Hi SEZDAN1982,
Good luck with your assessment today. My assessment day is Saturday with East Midlands Trains and I am practicing the SCAAT and RAAT practice papers. Let me know how you got on today.
And good luck again x

SEZDAN1982

Ive passed my assessment! Got my interview Thursday.

If anyone has any advice or tips then they will be much appreciated.

darren111 Good Luck for Saturday.

Gman

Do some research on the TOC. Have a basic awareness of their routes, history of the franchise (recently renewed)

Goes without saying but dress smartly for the interview.

Where appropriate emphasise the importance of safety in your answers. That's the safety of you, your passengers and the train.

I've been a guard with another TOC for one year now and could never go back to office work.

Good luck!!

SEZDAN1982

Good Luck tomorrow darren111
Just try not to let the nerves get the better of you.
Best advise I was given was to work quickly through the questions but don't rush to finish the booklets. Quickly but accurate.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.