• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[AT] First plans for ÖBB network 2040 published

Austriantrain

Established Member
Yesterday, the "Zielnetz 2040" (long-term plans for the network) were published.

Details are here, albeit in German: https://www.bmk.gv.at/dam/jcr:c5136...a9aad/20240125_Zielnetz2040_Booklet_kompr.pdf

This is a planning exercice intended to give a long-term strategy based on capacity needs and expected traffic evolution. It is *not* a political decision that those things will actually get built (that decision is taken much later and obiously depends on funds available), but it is reasonable to expect that only what is in the strategy has a chance of realisation.

Among the highlights is a new Vienna Airport - Bruck/Leitha line (widely expected and very necessary) and, very surprisingly, major investment on the Linz - Wels - Simbach/Inn line (and onwards to Munich), which I don't actually expect to be realised in my lifetime (and I still have plenty of life expectancy left).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There are some fantastic maps in there, although I don't pretend I understand the detail.
What's the status of the "Pottendorfer" line, which I understand is to duplicate/by-pass the congested Südbahn route out of Vienna (effectively 4-tracking it)?

Austriantrain

Established Member
Will the Buchs to Feldkrich route be double tracked?

A modernization of the line is already budgeted in the 2024 - 2029 investment period. The 2040 plan doesn’t include anything new.

I am not certain if doubling (and to what extent - certainly not all the way) is included and could not find any sources on the quick. The problem is that the Liechtenstein Volk (population) has, in a referendum, said no to investments in the line.

There are some fantastic maps in there, although I don't pretend I understand the detail.
What's the status of the "Pottendorfer" line, which I understand is to duplicate/by-pass the congested Südbahn route out of Vienna (effectively 4-tracking it)?

The Pottendorfer Line is, since December 2023, doubled throughout (major works still at Wampersdorf though). However, some projects remain to be done:

- the approach to Wiener Neustadt, where the Südbahn and the Pottendorfer meet, will be expanded from 3 to 4 tracks
- the Ebenfurth area will be remodeled, including a curve towards Eisenstadt
- various smaller things and installing ETCS.

So still some years before everything is done, but it already serves as a very valuable diversionary route (before becoming the mainline closer to 2030).

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Among the highlights is a new Vienna Airport - Bruck/Leitha line (widely expected and very necessary) and, very surprisingly, major investment on the Linz - Wels - Simbach/Inn line (and onwards to Munich), which I don't actually expect to be realised in my lifetime (and I still have plenty of life expectancy left).
That's a complete NBS/HSL and presumably depends on Germany playing ball :)

I also noticed a new Bosruck tunnel on the Pyhrnbahn Linz-Selzthal, that's dfairly major.
Will the Buchs to Feldkrich route be double tracked?
Doesn't appear so - the Arlberg line will still be partly single track for practical reasons, and even an hourly Zürich service will hardly be an issue.

Austriantrain

Established Member
I also noticed a new Bosruck tunnel on the Pyhrnbahn Linz-Selzthal, that's dfairly major.

It’s unavoidable. The existing tunnel is falling apart and cannot be upgraded to modern safety standards by reasonable means. More economic to build new.

Veteran Member
It’s unavoidable. The existing tunnel is falling apart and cannot be upgraded to modern safety standards by reasonable means. More economic to build new.
I rather guessed - the line seems to be closed every summer for repairs!

johnnydoe

If the 2 hour 30 minutes time between Munich to Vienna were to be realised I'm guessing 230km/h line speed the whole way probably won't cut it?

Austriantrain

Established Member
If the 2 hour 30 minutes time between Munich to Vienna were to be realised I'm guessing 230km/h line speed the whole way probably won't cut it?

If I calculated it right, an average speed of 180 km/h will be necessary between Linz and Munich, so 230 will be tight.

In any case, the new Austrian lines are laid out for 250 and the newest ones are also approved for it - it’s just not used at the moment.