• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[AT] New ÖBB nightjet set on test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austriantrain

Established Member
In case anyone is interested, a picture taken today (10 August 2022) at St Pölten main station.

It’s a shortened new NJ set with a driving trailer, an accessible coach, a couchette with the new „capsules“ and a sleeper.

Unfortunately the former threads on these new sets are closed but feel free to move my post to one of those.

Attachments

• 5C906F85-CF9C-43E8-8989-612B62BDBA7D.jpeg
    5C906F85-CF9C-43E8-8989-612B62BDBA7D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 153
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
Exciting! The Vectron cab blends better with the carbody than the Taurus one did, I think.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Gorgeous. So nice to see some new rolling stock for night trains.

Though the capsules look claustrophobic to me... If the only change was switching some couchettes to the capsules, fair enough. But I gather they see the capsules as more equivalent to "proper" sleeping compartments, and hence all the remaining ones of the latter will be upgraded to en suite etc (and hence no doubt rather more expensive). I'm always quite content with the existing standard-style sleeper, and don't mind communal facilities at the end of the carriage for the one night. So I'd find the need to either upgrade from that, or downgrade to something I'd probably find claustrophobic (and stops you sharing the space with a travelling companion), as being a bad thing. I might be priced off some sleepers as a result.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Though the capsules look claustrophobic to me... If the only change was switching some couchettes to the capsules, fair enough. But I gather they see the capsules as more equivalent to "proper" sleeping compartments, and hence all the remaining ones of the latter will be upgraded to en suite etc (and hence no doubt rather more expensive). I'm always quite content with the existing standard-style sleeper, and don't mind communal facilities at the end of the carriage for the one night. So I'd find the need to either upgrade from that, or downgrade to something I'd probably find claustrophobic (and stops you sharing the space with a travelling companion), as being a bad thing. I might be priced off some sleepers as a result.

I suppose that the thinking is: some people want all the perks and are willing to pay, others want and need a no-frills service. Paying for a private room with shared facilities will certainly put off a lot of people nowadays, especially younger ones which are not used to the night trains of old. But sure, some customers will be left out.

Hopefully they know their market, but that market has certainly changed a lot in the last decades.

Last edited:

Flying Snail

Established Member

Thankfully OBB Nightjet haven't bought into the "hotel on wheels" bollixology that Caledonian Sleeper has and the price of their en-suite cabins are not ridiculous.

Last one I looked at it was €35 extra (or €20 extra with interrail discount) for deluxe over standard.

Obviously the point of the capsules is to get as many private beds as possible into a fixed space, I'll reserve judgement until I can try them but certainly they should be applauded for reviving European sleepers and trying new ideas to better suit modern tastes.

Were the double decker cars the last sleeping car build before these? The standard cabins in those are very cramped, especially for 2 people sharing while the en-suites are very spacious and in a great layout that is really nice for day use.

Last edited:

Austriantrain

Established Member
Were the double decker cars the last sleeping car build before these? The standard cabins in those are very cramped, especially for 2 people sharing while the en-suites are very spacious and in a great layout that is really nice for day use.

I think the Siemens sleepers bought by DB and then sold to ÖBB, which constitute the core of the current NJ sleepers, are quite a bit newer.

duesselmartin

Established Member
The double deck stock has some major corrosion issues. Last time I saw them on the Zürich Vienna service. Not many are in service.

MarkyT

Established Member
The capsules have a communicating partition between the two berths on the same level if unlocked by both parties, so interaction between consenting travelling companions is possible. The idea's major attraction is security, so you can keep your belongings locked up and safe while you visit the bathroom or buffet car, and protect yourself and your stuff while asleep during the night. There are lockers for each berth in the central pillar behind the ladder and a large shelf above the side corridor accessible from each upper pod. Classic couchettes, which I have happily used many times, do not provide anything like this level of individual security. I would certainly like to sample the capsule experience if I ever have the opportunity.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The capsules have a communicating partition between the two berths on the same level if unlocked by both parties, so interaction between consenting travelling companions is possible. The idea's major attraction is security, so you can keep your belongings locked up and safe while you visit the bathroom or buffet car, and protect yourself and your stuff while asleep during the night. There are lockers for each berth in the central pillar behind the ladder and a large shelf above the side corridor accessible from each upper pod. Classic couchettes, which I have happily used many times, do not provide anything like this level of individual security. I would certainly like to sample the capsule experience if I ever have the opportunity.

Yes indeed - as I said, if the capsules are a sort of "super couchette", with more privacy (and more claustrophobia!), for a bit more money, then fine. (Especially, if the old cheaper couchette bunks still exist too.)

What alarms me is if the capsules are an excuse to do away with the existing (non-deluxe, non-en-suite) standard sleepers, which are the right combination of facility/comfort/price for many of us. I definitely see them [the new capsules] as a more private equivalent to the couchettes; they don't seem to me to be anything like normal sleeper berth, and hence shouldn't be an excuse/reason to deprive people of the latter unless they can afford to pay more than hitherto. As it is, the existing sleepers are an important component of my ability to get around Europe conveniently and affordably; I fear I might be priced out of them, indirectly on account of these new capsules.

(The Euro35 extra for the compulsory higher-grade sleepers - mentioned above - is a significant proportional increase on the existing sleeper price.)

the sniper

Established Member
I really like the idea of the capsules, I've never been interested in using couchettes, unless I intended to stay awake all night. But we'll have to see how claustrophobic they are. I wonder too what they'll be like for ventilation.

MarkyT

Established Member
I really like the idea of the capsules, I've never been interested in using couchettes, unless I intended to stay awake all night. But we'll have to see how claustrophobic they are. I wonder too what they'll be like for ventilation.
As new builds, I expect they'll have effective modern A/C. There's a comprehensive control panel in each capsule:

the sniper

Established Member
As new builds, I expect they'll have effective modern A/C. There's a comprehensive control panel in each capsule:

I thought I'd seen that, each capsule having its own AC seems like quite something to implement. I wonder how it'll work.

Status
Not open for further replies.